Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i start my truck, everytime, the engine sounds loud and harsh, and after about 5 sec or so it calms down and sounds normal. its always run normally and never had any issues.

Im just trying to find out if it like that with them all or just mine. do any of you notice any sound differences in the engine for the first few seconds ? or does it start up and run smooth immediatly after turning over?

thanks for any input.

Craig

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
What you are experiencing is high idle upon startup. The ECU is getting the ball rolling with oil pressure, fuel management, valve timing, and thermostat. After the 4-5 second initial period the engine is quiet and smooth. You have nothing to worry about. I always wait until the engine is smooth before shifting into gear. Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now that i think about it. i do remember once in a while, when im sitting at a long light or stopped for a bit, the engine will sound harsh as soon as i start going again but wont last more than a sec before it sounds smooth again. i dont know if this only happens when the truck is still cool or after its heated up. ill have to test it out to figure out under what circumstances this will come into play.

again, just looking to compare to see it its normal. i ask because i used to have an old Monte Carlo SS that ran without tranny fluid and sounded exactly the same, only the Monte always sounded like that. Im jsut being cautious.

thanks for the reply BTW, just the kind of info i was hoping for.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
When you say harsh, do you mean like the fan has come on? If so, that's normal. But if you mean like a knocking or metallic type noise that's not normal.

BTW, do you have the 4.0 4.7 or 5.7? :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hard to describe, i guess it would sound like a real loud fan, but definately not like metal or slapping or anything like that. Yea, a real loud fan type noise that will go away as i described.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
hard to describe, i guess it would sound like a real loud fan, but definately not like metal or slapping or anything like that. Yea, a real loud fan type noise that will go away as i described.
Sounds normal. When you first start it up, the fan comes on for a few seconds and turns off. Also when the engine heats up the fan comes on at stop lights. When you take off and hit about 1500 RPMs or so the fan turns off. I'm sure when summer hits, the fan will stay on longer in stop and go traffic to keep things cool.

·
Registered
877 Posts
when you crank a cold engine, it will always be noisier than when hot. remember that this engine is a double overhead cam V8 with vvti cam controls, if that sound like a lot, it is, now think of the number of moving parts it take to make that statement. look at like this; a cold engine is like your first date with a women, the warm engine is when you and your spouse are on the same page, kinda'. remember that this basic engine has three years of nascar truck racing RD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. what your saying makes perfect sense. im pretty sure its all normal. just playing it safe. thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
193 Posts
now the questions are; do you wait for it the sound to stop then you put her on drive? or do you just start and go? i always wait for about 3 seconds then the fan stops, then i go. just wanted to know what everyones experience on this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
now the questions are; do you wait for it the sound to stop then you put her on drive? or do you just start and go? i always wait for about 3 seconds then the fan stops, then i go. just wanted to know what everyones experience on this.
When starting a cold engine i always give it about 60 seconds before i take off. This may be overkill, but it allows all the oil to get circulating good before you put any stress on the engine. I also take it easy on the throttle until I see the water temp guage move off the Cold side. IMO, these are good practices if you want your engine to last a few hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive got an auto start that i run every morning, which is when i pay attention to it the most since its the second thing i hear when i get up (alarm being the first) so mine sits for about 10 -15 min before i dirve it.

when im leaving work, i usually start up and go.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ive got an auto start that i run every morning, which is when i pay attention to it the most since its the second thing i hear when i get up (alarm being the first) so mine sits for about 10 -15 min before i dirve it.

when im leaving work, i usually start up and go.
Bet you use a lot of gas doing that. I had a remote start on my 03 Tundra but the only time i used it was when it was REALLY cold and had ice on my windshield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bet you use a lot of gas doing that. I had a remote start on my 03 Tundra but the only time i used it was when it was REALLY cold and had ice on my windshield.

I have no idea, i have only had it a few weeks and havent really paid attention to it. I am a bit curious to know what im losing. I got it mainly for winter also.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
mine sits for about 10 -15 min before i dirve it.
Your owners manual says specifically NOT to do this.

I, as others have said, give it about a minute. I use my remote start only when it is freezing/frozen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts