Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a 5.7L Limited 2X4 with no accessories. My dealer located this truck for me 300 miles away. It already has 460 miles on it because it was driven to that dealership from out of state. It'll have to be driven here for me to buy it which means it'll have nearly 800 miles on it. Should I get it or hold out for one with less miles? What would you do? It might take weeks to find another.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello , my vote ( which doesn't count) is to wait.a couple weeks will fly by, you probably won't save much money on the 800 mi one over a few mi one and i would wonder why it was driven to the other dealer and not sold. maybe they couldn't agree on price but my gut says wait. good luck

·
Banned
223 Posts
I would worry about the miles on it. Could it actually have been a demo at the other dealer with everybody and his brother standing on the gas to see what it will do? :td:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hampton, GA I live right down the road from you in McDonough.

PM me if we are talking about the dealership down the road from us off 81!

·
Registered
595 Posts
800 miles wouldn't bother me as long as they priced it right. You still have to see the truck and accept it once it gets to your dealer so I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think there's an actual number of miles that a vehicle has to be under for it to officially be "new". Maybe someone can chime in and give further information.

If you can get a "somewhat used" discount on it, I'd be all over it. Otherwise, I'd buy a different one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Absolutely not.

There are plenty of Tundras out there. Have a little patience and you'll find another to your liking with less than 5 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would be wary of 3rd hand information that has passed through two potential liars. It doesn't sound like they are going to make any price concessions because they are representing that this is a new truck that has a large number of transport miles. You don't even know how the engine was broken in since you are beyond the break-in period.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would be wary of 3rd hand information that has passed through two potential liars. It doesn't sound like they are going to make any price concessions because they are representing that this is a new truck that has a large number of transport miles. You don't even know how the engine was broken in since you are beyond the break-in period.
That would be my worry as well. The guys who're transporting don't give a damn about "break-in" period. You can bet they'd be stomping on that gas pedal and letting every one of those 381 horses fly every single chance they get.

When you're buying a new truck, buy one to your complete satisfaction. In my case, that means <5 miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tell them to take $8,000 off of MSRP. If they don't just wait until you find the truck you like. I would say 800 miles rates it as a "USED" truck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You gotta believe that the truck has gotten a wicked beating by however many people have driven it so far. I wouldn't touch it.:td:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Break-In period on a Toyota is 1,000 miles so there would still be some break in.

From what I've found the amount of miles on a vehicle before its considered used varies from state to state but the general rule of thumb is if it hasn't been titled its still new. Most dealerships will discount vehicles that have a substantial number of miles on the car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I guess i'll have to disagree with most of the posts here. 800 miles is not that much and the truck is still new until titled. Unless you specifically order a new truck then they usually have some miles because they are test driven buy potential buyers as soon as they hit the lot. My truck had nearly 200 miles on it when i bought it and it was also a dealer trade. Only way i could get what i wanted without waiting a couple of months. The truck is perfect with no issues. You do what makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I drive 800 miles in a week... that's nothin'. With that said, I would have them knock a little off the price due to the 800 miles being more than what a "new" truck generally has.

But would I shy away from it? Certainly not.
It's a week worth of driving for me.
It's being titled a new truck.
It has a warranty.
You can still reject if when it gets there if something is wrong with it and not take delivery.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Unless they give you a hefty discount I personally would not buy it.I am very picky , and yes maybe the 800 miles are trouble free, but why take a chance wait for the right truck remember timing is everything. Don't listen to those money hungry salemen "ooooh its the deal of a lifetime you'll never see a truck like this again". Don't fall for it be patient it will come to ya!:tu:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let it go,everybody who drives these trucks is encouraged by the sales staff to hammer it.When i took my first test drive it was 20 degrees the truck wasn't near warmed up and the salesmen says step on it ,these trucks really haul ***.I refused and told him it's not to smart to get on a cold engine,he just looked at me like i was an idiot.Everyone driving these trucks knows about the horsepower and wants to try it out.When i bought mine it had 6 miles on it ,i told the sales guy if it has more miles than that when i pick it up i don't want it.. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my state a vehicle is considered new until titled once a demo reaches a certain amount of miles the dealer usually parks it and proceeds to use another one, my local credit union will finance a 1 year old truck previosly titled w/ less than 5000 miles the same as if you ordered it from the factory every institution and states have different guidelines they go by

·
Registered
172 Posts
I see a lot of concern about it being treated ruff. I don't like the idea of cold motor abuse, but I would be a little more concerned that it was drove on the highway for 800 miles (or whatever) at the same RPM.

·
Registered
378 Posts
At least $5,000 off. Or buy one with lower mileage. True, might be great, but why not get one for the same price with under 10 miles.

Ask the dealer what they would give for someone bringing back a new vehicle for trade with 800 miles, then offer him $1000 over that.

I did know this guy in Myrtle Beach that when his odometer hit 8-10,000 he traded and bought a new truck in a different color. Went through 3 05's I knew of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think there's an actual number of miles that a vehicle has to be under for it to officially be "new". Maybe someone can chime in and give further information.

If you can get a "somewhat used" discount on it, I'd be all over it. Otherwise, I'd buy a different one.
A unlicensed demo car can still be sold as new with up to 6k miles:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts