Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I added an H pipe in the exhaust today as well as a touch up tune. The H pipe gained me a whopping 3 hp and 6 tq, lol. Brings me up 320 hp and 352 tq on a mustang dyno. If the 10% theory is correct for Mustang dyno's, that puts me at 352 hp and 387 tq. Either way, not bad for just intake exhaust and a 91 tune.

Ill be hitting the track soon. Hoping to get the "fastest N/A Tundra" title.lol.:cool:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Brother, my Magnaflow cat back got me just under two tenths, but when I tried taking out the HC filter and building in a second snorkel into the fender, it dropped back to stock. I need a tune also.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
OK, now i know i have not had the Yota very long, so you guys can get an early morning laugh.
I have done the exhaust and Volant, but what the heck is a 91 tune?
Makes me think of when i had the hypertech on the gm, but i know (or think I know) we don't have anything out there except (I think it is called a unichip) and i did not see it in the description of mods on truck......... What is a 91 tune??? OK, drum roll, laugh............................

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Where in the pipe did you install the "H" pipe. I was playing with the ide of ading a tuned "Y" pipe, but the location means a lot as far as exhaut pulses. If you are able to offset the exhaust pulse in each pipe, you gain more power than if you just weld it wherever. I've heard that spray painting your exhaust pipes then driving the truck wil get me pretty close. Just put the "Y" where the paint begins to cook off. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, now i know i have not had the Yota very long, so you guys can get an early morning laugh.
I have done the exhaust and Volant, but what the heck is a 91 tune?
Makes me think of when i had the hypertech on the gm, but i know (or think I know) we don't have anything out there except (I think it is called a unichip) and i did not see it in the description of mods on truck......... What is a 91 tune??? OK, drum roll, laugh............................
I have a Custom tuned Unichip. Its got a Custom 87 tune and 91 tune. Besides the TRD SC, i dont know of a better mod than a nice custom tune. Freaking night and day. If you thought your 5.7 had balls before...It's like having a third ball.

Can you post a pic of the H pipe?
Ill get on it. Andrew basically just added a piece of pipe between my two pipes entering my dual exhaust. Before i was running a true dual exhaust straight back.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Pam cooking spray is your friend when it comes to locating a good h-pipe spot :D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My truck isn't the first tundra he's worked on, so im pretty sure he knew where the sweet spot was. One thing i noticed was that he said that the h pipe would make the exhaust sound lower, but instead at certain RPMs its actually louder.

The truck also seemed to like the AFR a little leaner with the tune, so hopefully ill get a little better MPG along with the extra ponys.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pam cooking spray is your friend when it comes to locating a good h-pipe spot :D
Thumbster, do explain please!
I've never heard of this before?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Thumbster, do explain please!
I've never heard of this before?

Thanks...
If you spray some pam cooking spray on the exhaust piping a little after the manifolds/headers, it will start to bubble and get brown at the optimal location for the crossover. You have to run the engine and hold the revs at around 1500 rpm for about 30-45 seconds - this will happen pretty quickly, so you have to work fast before the rest of the pipe gets too hot.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you spray some pam cooking spray on the exhaust piping a little after the manifolds/headers, it will start to bubble and get brown at the optimal location for the crossover. You have to run the engine and hold the revs at around 1500 rpm for about 30-45 seconds - this will happen pretty quickly, so you have to work fast before the rest of the pipe gets too hot.
Interesting!
Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Now if you had installed a dual in with single outlet 70 series Flowmaster, would putting the H-pipe in place make any difference or do you have to have true duel mufflers in place to notice any difference? I have heard of them putting them on cars in the past, but have never been involved. If it is something i can do with my set up it would be worth a try, just going in to one muffler though and ???????????? questions abound. Not an expensive mod so i am interested if it would help in my situation. Thanks for any tips.
zeeya

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
It's rather hard to predict whether a 2 into 1 chambered muffler will act in the same manner as an h/x-pipe with true duals. If the entrance chamber into the muffler has the right volume and is tuned properly, it certainly could have a similar effect as a crossover pipe. I have something similar on my 5 liter mustang (Mac prochamber), which basically has a small resonator in place of a crossover with both exhaust banks going in and out - the car runs great with it compared to standard h/x pipes. I have also seen single outlet exhaust systems on V8 vehicles outperform true duals, but that's due to other variables (too long to get into here).

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell how much you'll get from a custom exhaust setup without trial and error. Common sense is the best approach, but in the end there's no way to tell for sure how our picky Tundra ECMs will respond. The only way to get guaranteed results is to buy an already proven off the shelf exhaust system with a dyno curve to back it up. I went through 3 exhaust setups so far and I'm finally happy with both the sound and the gains from my current setup. To put it simply, all I can say is I've yet to see a vehicle that is more picky than the Tundra when it comes to air flow modifications - what appears to be a tried and true recipe for performance gains on most vehicles doesn't usually work as well on our trucks due to our ECM and it's nazi ways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts