Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a Tacoma, currently running an 02 V8 Access cab Tundra. I tow a fair amount, but my boats are fairly light, like 3500lbs total weight.

The new Tacoma is just about the same size as my old Tundra and the new Tundra is way too big for me. How would you compare the old 4.7L V8 to the 4L V6 performance-wise? While towing? Milage?

I am looking for a double cab, long bed and from what I can tell you can not get that with the TRD package? I don't care about the shocks but I want the locking differential, something I may have to do as an aftermarket accessory? Anyway, thanks in advance for the input. I love the Tundra, want something new with better milage.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The new Tacoma is a lighter duty vehicle with a less refined ride and cheaper looking and feeling interior materials than your '02 Tundra. Power is about the same, fuel economy of the Tacoma is only 2 mpg better.

If your '02 hasn't been well maintained and has alot of wear and tear then it would probably make sense to get a new Tacoma, otherwise you might consider keeping the Tundra for several more years.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I am thinking about getting a Tacoma, currently running an 02 V8 Access cab Tundra. I tow a fair amount, but my boats are fairly light, like 3500lbs total weight.

The new Tacoma is just about the same size as my old Tundra and the new Tundra is way too big for me. How would you compare the old 4.7L V8 to the 4L V6 performance-wise? While towing? Milage?

I am looking for a double cab, long bed and from what I can tell you can not get that with the TRD package? I don't care about the shocks but I want the locking differential, something I may have to do as an aftermarket accessory? Anyway, thanks in advance for the input. I love the Tundra, want something new with better milage.

I have had several Tundras & Tacomas and my last trade was a 2007 Tundra 5.7L to a 2009 Tacoma 4.0L. The 2009 Tacoma suits my needs but I do miss the power of the 5.7L. I liked the size (for my needs) of the first gen Tundra the best.

Never towed anything heavy and the Tacoma's present size is what I needed and I love this truck (especially with the new Michelin LTX AT2 tires night & day difference with the OEM BFGs).

IMO, the Q/C of my 2009 Taco is equal to or better than my 2007 Tundra but not as good as previous Tacoma & Tundra.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just traded in my 08 Tacoma for a 00 Tundra. The difference is amazing. The Tundra hauls more weight in the bed, has a better ride and tows more. As for the MPG its comparable in my opinion. The New Taco's are nice buy IMO a car with a P/U bed attached.

·
Banned
2 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I originally wanted to buy a Tacoma off-road. Went to a dealership and test drove both Tacoma and Tundra. My mistake was to drive the Tundra first. Then when I found out that the mpg difference was not that dramatic, I was sold. I bought my Tundra 2 weeks ago.

You do have to be careful not to use your power too often or you will have to pay $$$. I get about 19 mpg on highway (so far), which is quite reasonable. I think you get much more truck with a small decrease in mpg. The current incentives serve as the whip cream on top of already sweet pie.

·
Registered
918 Posts
IMHO when you start talking about large engined trucks, be it mid-sizers with the beefier V6 or V8 half tons, trading back and fourth in search of some meaningful improvement in fuel mileage that will have a tangible long-term effect on the pocket book usually works out about as well as going from regular cigarettes to lights to save some lung life. If you ain't goin to a drastically different type of vehicle and getting at least a 4-5 mpg improvement, it might as well not even be a concern.

·
Registered
429 Posts
IMHO when you start talking about large engined trucks, be it mid-sizers with the beefier V6 or V8 half tons, trading back and fourth in search of some meaningful improvement in fuel mileage that will have a tangible long-term effect on the pocket book usually works out about as well as going from regular cigarettes to lights to save some lung life. If you ain't goin to a drastically different type of vehicle and getting at least a 4-5 mpg improvement, it might as well not even be a concern.

Well said!:tu:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just sold my 01 Tundra limited, 4X4 with leather and all the bells and whistles and bought an 08 Tacoma Pre-Runner with SR5 package. The Tundra was a great truck but I did not tow anything with it and it was just too big for my purposes. I like the 4 regular doors on the Taco...much easier in parking lots and cramped spaces. Power is fine for now, but I agree I will miss the 4.7 power especially on the hiway. The double cab Taco has more room, front and rear than the Tundra, easier (lower) entry, and generally more comfortable seating. I'm hoping to get a little better mileage, but that was not really an issue with my trade out.

I hope the mechanical and electrical are on a par with my Tundra. It was mechanically flawless but did have some minor irritations: mpg was never good 17 with regular: the $%^&* retractors on the seatbelts were replaced but still never worked (I have had the same crummy retractors on my last 3 Toyota products) Seem to be the same on the Taco. I wish they would get a new supplier) and the Tundra was hard on tires, even when not loaded or towing. Stay away from the Dunlops and get some Michelins or at least some good BFG's.

I will now start shopping for some performance and appearance extras on the Taco. Any suggestions on good suppliers or websites would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I think I can help you on this... I currently have an '01 Tundra TRD Access Cab with the V8. I had an '05 Tacoma for a year. I bought it used for $21500 with 45k on it. It was a double cab short bed with the 6-speed manual. It was also TRD and had the locking rear diffs. I don't know where you heard that you can't get a double cab long bed with TRD cause that is definitely not true. They come in TRD and TRD Sport editions.

Anyway, I ended up selling it for $20000 with 60k on it, so I could buy the Tundra I currently drive. I got a great deal on it for $9000 with 103k on it and put $11k back in my pocket. I really liked the Tacoma's comfortable interior and the 6-speed manual, and the diff lock definitely came in handy a couple of times, but I was not impressed with the 4.0L V6 at all! It got 16mpg average, where my Tundra gets 18. I think the 4.7L V8 is a much better engine, and much better for towing because it has more torque. The Tacoma is quite a bit narrower than the Tundra too which translates to less stability while towing. I have towed a 6000lb boat to Lake Powell and back home with both trucks and can assure you that the Tundra does a much better job at it. The short bed on the Tacoma drove me nuts too. Totally impractical!

The only draw back to the Tundra so far has been the frame rust. I bought it from a guy in Utah where they use salt on the roads so the frame is a bit rusty. There's actually a recall on Tundra frames. Mines going into the dealership next week to get checked out. So far the rust has not caused any problems though... No locking diff on the Tundra either which is kind of a bummer, but I definitely recommend sticking with your Tundra if it's not causing you problems because you will be disappointed by the Tacoma, especially if you're towing stuff ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts