Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab V8.
I'd been getting pink and white (stuff) blown about the engine compartment for a couple of months. I replaced the thermostat gasket (o-ring) and upper and lower radiator hoses with new clamps to no avail.
Finally realized the water pump was leaking. I didn't feel like doing this myself so I had the dealer do it. No sense doing the job without timing belt and tensioner. Here's how it fell out:

Replace water pump/timing belt/belt tensioner+xtra time b/c supercharged ~ $80.00 +replace timing bolt cover bolt
Labor $600.00
Water pump 163.91
Tensioner 105.01
Bolt w/washer 2.55

Coolant 39.32
Hose (?) 2.00

Tax 27.37
Total $940.16

I'm sure I got ripped by the dealer but the job is done. The extra for supercharger was R&R
the snout bracket (a 2 minute job). The missing timing cover bolt had to have been done at the factory (no leaks).

George60

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well it seems pricey but getting the timing belt done while they've got it was a good call IMO.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Part prices look about right. Labor seems high. My dealer quoted me ~$750 for the same job.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
That sounds about right.

I had to have the idler pulley replaced last year and there is a lot to disassemble to get to it. When they had it all apart they called and said my H20 pump was bad. I told them to go ahead and replace it was well, and my dealer was gracious enough not to charge me twice for what was basically the same labor.

The whole job set me back about $1100 which I didn't think was unreasonable for the amount of work they did.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did the timing belt and water pump a couple of weeks ago on a V6, which is easier than the V8. You didn't get ripped off, because it is a lot work, even with air tools.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Our local dealer quoted me $1100 just to replace the water pump and timing belt.....so I did it all myself over the weekend for around $600, which included all new pullies, hoses, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpetine, seals, t-stat, SST's, etc.....

Took about 12 hrs.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
George, I don't think the price was a bad one. A local dealer quoted me $1,00 for the same job but without the hoses.I just did my timing belt and serpentine belt for $420 but I didn't change all the other stuff. I only have 50K on the truck but it is 7 years old. How many miles on your truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts