Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are driving to Grand Canyon on Tuesday the 25 of August and I am thinking of buying winter tires for my 2006 4 wheel drive. Does anyone knows a place that I can check and on our route? We are from Vancouver and we will use Peace Portal drive in White Rock. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Or save yourself the agony.. you don't need winter tires in the vincity of the Grand Canyon. I was through there in June (!) via Hoover Dam route from Las Vegas to Phoenix.

Sanosuke!

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Many tires are not that much better price in the US. I looked and for mine it would have saved about $15.00 per tire to buy stateside. If you buy locally, you'll get local warranty, etc. Definitely I'd check before final decision.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Even if he lives in BC, winter isn't here yet, haven't you heard of the wildfires up there in BC??? Teach yourself a little lesson there. :D :p

Sanosuke!
If you need tires now...you buy them now.

The Hankook is supposed to be a good tire all year.

·
5,568 Posts
If you're going to the states now, instead of November, and you can conceivably get the tires for 1/2 off, you buy them now, even if you won't really need them until the snow flies.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
What and be smacked with duty for exceeding the exemption limits at the border? :D

I'd like to see you explain that one, OP. :D

Sanosuke!

·
5,568 Posts
Sano, these are the exemptions:

After each absence of 24 hours or more
You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead, you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

After each absence of 48 hours or more
You can claim up to CAN$400 worth of goods without paying any duties. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. See the sections called “Alcoholic beverages” and “Tobacco products” for more details.

After each absence of 7 days or moreYou can claim up to CAN$750 worth of goods without paying any duties. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. See the sections called “Alcoholic beverages” and “Tobacco products” for more details. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Just put them on your truck, throw the old ones away, drive down a gravel road and claim the running shoes you bought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts