Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

First I'll say this is a greatly informative website. All the info is greatly appreciated and helpful. This is my first full size pickup, but I've owned several full size SUV's in the past. I must say I don't think I'll ever own another type of vehicle for a daily driver other than a fullsize pickup. I got burned on my first Toyota, a 07 Camry. Toyota would not address the tranny problem and the quality inspection on a brand new car was awful...unbalanced tires, AC not fully charged, short in the radio, etc. I swore I'd never own another Toyota, but I had to purchase a truck for a 900 mile move and this Tundra was the best deal I could find. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it but I have some questions for those of you that have owned your trucks longer than I've owned mine (roughly 7 months). Currently my truck has ~52k miles.

First question: Anybody else purchase the extended 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty and have a dealer not want to honor certain repairs? I had a dash rattle and there was a TSB, and the local dealer in Knoxville kept saying only my powertrain was under warranty. I pulled out my warranty card that clearly states "bumper to bumper" and asked if those two chrome things hanging on the front and rear were in fact "bumpers", and if the dash was located in between them. After hours of arguing over a $2 clip that they wanted $150 to replace, the Service Manager finally agreed to replace it at no charge. I feel like they were trying to cheat me out of yet another hard earned dollar...or 150 of them in this case.j

Second question: Coming back from Athens, GA yesterday, I noticed a metallic, tinny, rubbing/grinding noise coming from the passenger front wheel well area, but only when making a hard left. Whether idling thru a turn or riding the brakes, it still makes the noise but the brakes seem to make the noise a tad less in volume. Any ideas? Brakes, bearings, etc? Underneath the truck there is no evidence of any contact of the wheels and any suspension/braking components. I do have a 2.5" leveling kit installed but it was properly aligned twice since the install. Will the dealer try and tell me my warranty is void if its a bearing due to this? It is a billet aluminum kit if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance...sorry for the novel. Just trying to give some details.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
The grinding sounds like you need to replace your pads....

Also, I don't think the dash is covered by the warranty. From Toyota's site, regarding the Platinum (best) warranty, these are the Excluded Items:

Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Trim, Handles, and Fabric; Filters; Fluids; Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Hinges; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly; Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to Ashtrays, Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents; Lamps (Back-up, Fog Light, Side Marker, and Turn Signal Light Assemblies); Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber component)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of all the vehicles I've owned, I've never had the brake pads make noise only when turning the wheel to the left. Thats the part thats throwing me off.

I do have the Platinum warranty, but I figured if there was a TSB and a redesign on a particular part then it should be covered. I guess it looks like I got a freebie from the dealer. I have to take it in for an oil change tomorrow so I'll have them investigate the scraping noise. Hopefully it will turn out to be the pads in need of replacement.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts