Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2010 tundra double cab owner. I wanted to add a system to my truck which i love by the way, so i bought a custom sub box from Fox , 2 jl w0 10s, and a jl mono amp for my subs. I plan on getting this installed professionally since i dont know how anyway. My questions are along the lines of with my JBL speakers and non nav head unit. Should i replace the speakers? I want to add tweeters too. If i replace the speakers and add tweeters do i need another amp or does the head unit supply the power. Also do i need crossovers? I would like any help and info so that i do not go into the audio store and let them do alot of extra stuff to charge me with. No need for competition sound, just enough to make me happy with my music. Thanks for any help!- the newbie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most people who upgrade any part of the stock audio system end up upgrading the whole thing. I didn't have the JBL in mine, so I can't give direct info about that, but I can tell you that while the factory setup will sound better with some aftermarket speakers and factory head unit, if you really want it to sound good, you'll want to amp the new speakers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the deck an original factory from Toyota or an aftermarket deck? If its stock OEM, then you won't need crossovers, but you will need pre-amps to run the Amp, this then requires a harness and extra parts, could cost and extra $100 in installation cost. If you're going to utilize the stock deck to power the speakers (the surround sound speaker setup in your Tundra), then you won't need to upgrade them. The factory settings and power will not blow out the speakers. The only downfall to this is that the bass will drown out the music from your speakers. At first, it'll sound cool cause you have so much bass, but after a while, it'll get boring cause you can hardly hear the treb noise from your speakers. You can tinker with the bass and treb on both the deck and Amp, but then you won't be utilizing the full potential of amp and subs cause you're trying to balance out the whole system.

But if you're going to setup the Amp to power all the speakers, then you're are going to need to up grade them with some aftermarket ones that can handle an increase in power. The good thing about adding aftermarket speakers whether you're just replacing the mids or the whole thing, is it'll sound cleaner, clearer, and louder than the factory. The down fall is that its going to cost extra, depending one what you get, I got 4- 6" mids with built in tweeters from Alpine, and that costed me $350 with installation in my old Jeep Wrangler. Depending on what trim model you get, I believe you should already have factory tweeters. If you look on top of the dash board, there will be two extra honey comb protecting screens, those are for the tweeters. You can either get those replaced, or leave them, and buy aftermarket mids (6" or 8") with built in tweeters.

Now, if the deck you're running is an aftermarket, depending on which brand you got, you might need to replace the speakers. Although, JBL are good quality speakers, the ones in your truck were made only for the factory deck. Aftermarket ones tend to run higher in watt power, so depending on how loud you set your system, it'll blow out your speakers after a while. I would recommend if you're using an aftermarket deck with an Amp that runs 400+ power, then to replace the whole setup. By doing so, it'll balance out the whole system, while utilizing the maximum power of both your deck and the Amp. Also, it won't sound like ass, I mean you can put a crap amount of bass in your ride, but when all you can hear is loud annoying bass noise, its annoying. If you're thinking about cost wise, my guess would be $450-500 to install the whole thing on a stock deck (speakers, amp, and subs) and $350-$400 on an aftermarket deck.

Good luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Id like to keep the stock JBL headunit because im used to it and the steering wheel controls and i dont feel like ruining the original look basically. So i guess i should just replace all the door speakers. My amp is a mono channel. So i will just get a 4 channel amp to power the door speakers?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, Id like to keep the stock JBL headunit because im used to it and the steering wheel controls and i dont feel like ruining the original look basically. So i guess i should just replace all the door speakers. My amp is a mono channel. So i will just get a 4 channel amp to power the door speakers?
Yes, you are correct, multi channel amps allow you to run both your speakers and subs efficiently. Hey, when you get it in stalled, make sure the installer knows what he's doing. When I say that, make sure he's using the correct pre-amp harness for your truck. I had a problem of this back when I had my old 2001 Tundra, what happened was that I was running a 600+ amp and 2-12" subs on a stock Toyota deck. When I got it installed, the Tundra was too new, so they didn't have the correct harness to hold the pre-amps in place. What they did instead, was use a Tacoma harness and installed everything half-hardily. Well, after one major off-roading trip, the bounce and shift the off roading expedition caused the harness to fall out of place. This was a major problem because it caused alot of bass feed that annoyed the hell out of me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts