Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'll start off by saying hello to everyone, I am new to tundra solutions. I have read posts before however this is my 1st post.

O.K. lets go.....

I am buying a new cm platinum edition, and I want to do alot of upgrades for the get go, any advice you have on any of these topics I would greatly appreciate:

Options from the dealer:
cargo divider
cargo net
hard tonneau cover
front skid plate
back seat cargo net
remote start
rear sway bar
Total price from dealer : $52,993

Options I want to add:
AMP power step bars ( $1,198.99)
windows tinted ( what % should I go?)
line-x the bed (add color?)
nitto mud grapplers 37/13.5/20
rims 20" Panther realm 280c
6-8" lift kit(who to use? BDS.procomp?) I want ride quality to remain close to factory
Dual exhaust ( I have always used magnaflow, opinions ?)

Lastly I want to add:
TRD supercharger from toyota
TRD bike brake kit

I know this is a huge list of upgrades and a costly amount of time. I was injured in a motorcycle accident and from the lawsuit I finally get to build the truck of my dreams. I am looking for any advice from anyone about these trucks (CM) you can never know enough and I like to do my research first. I have never owned a tundra, but have owned a few tacoma's and loved them.

So once again thank you everyone for your advice and guidance.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
As I recall, NY tint law is not very driver friendly. Google it and see the actual %. You might be able to push it 'a little darker' than allowed bearing in mind that too dark is A- illegal and B- unsafe.

Line-x is great but your getting the hard / hinged tonneau? What do you plan on being able to carry in the bed? Might just need rubber or bed rug (with hinged cover) in lieu of line-x.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A lot of people here don't do the color match, I don't remember why(fading or other issues?). As for the rest, it sounds really good. A lot of guys on the forum seem partial to the procomp 6". Supercharger is a must:heh: Good luck on your purchase and modding:D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money on Toyota's remote start... It's pretty pricey, and it turns the truck off when you unlock it to get into it..<--- pretty lame, really...
If you really want remote start, I would go with an aftermarket setup....

The SuperCharger is fun and IMO worth every penny....
I've held off from the TRD Brake kit, only because I read someone was only getting 12k on a set of pads... Plus they don't have a rear option(at least not at the time I was looking into them)....
If you want the rear sway bar, and you want to tow stuff, DO NOT get the appearance package, or the appearance rear bumper... I made this mistake, and because of my hitch, I cannot use the sway bar....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I recall, NY tint law is not very driver friendly. Google it and see the actual %. You might be able to push it 'a little darker' than allowed bearing in mind that too dark is A- illegal and B- unsafe.

Line-x is great but your getting the hard / hinged tonneau? What do you plan on being able to carry in the bed? Might just need rubber or bed rug (with hinged cover) in lieu of line-x.
Tint laws are not a concern for me, YES they are illegal in NY anything less than 70% light through on side windows is illegal, however I have had all my vehicles at around 10-30% light through with no issues.

I am considering 15-20% tint on the two front sides and 5% on the rears and a banner on the front

As for the line-x, I do not plan on hauling anything specific, but I want to be able to if need be and line-x is great protection for the bed of your truck. The hard cover can remove although I hope my hauling days are limited to my trailer, but you never know....

Thank you for you input.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I wish I had that kind of money!!!!
Welcome

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks For the replies again. I am also concerned with putting a lift in my truck that needs the crossmember cut and welded. Is there any kits that are 6-8" of lift that are only bolt on? Also is the stock skid plate obsolete when a lift kit is used? Same question with the rear sway bar.

As for the lifts I see PROCOMP is pretty popular here, so owners that have these lifts how do you rate them?

I was thinking the same thing about the TRD brake kit too, I'll will most likely pass on this option unless someone says the stock brakes suck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok a quick update; I decided against the TRD big brake kit due to it being only the front brakes and the cost/wear ratio. I also decided that I don't need the bed covered and will most likely attach bed rails instead.

My next questions that surfaced is the remote start, is there a better aftermarket unit to buy that still works with the trucks security and keyless entry? I don't need my truck turning off as I go to get in it ( running the starter twice for one go...)

Next question is the factory skid plate worth having with a lift kit installed or is it useless, same question with the rear sway bar?

I think I decided on the procomp 6" lift. What should I expect in terms of ride quality and wear?

Thanks for all the knowledge, this newbie needs it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow so much for getting some help.... thanks guys!

·
Registered
251 Posts
wow so much for getting some help.... thanks guys!
Look, you have to understand that the same questions get asked over and over and over again by new guys such as yourself. And the repetition drives some of the guys to the point of wanting to put a bullet in their head since they can't reach through your computer screen and put a choke hold on you. They are ignoring you because you obviously didn't bother to try and learn from the huge amount of knowledge already written in this forum - by using the search function.

Try the search function. You'll find a vast amount of answers to your questions have already been posted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look, you have to understand that the same questions get asked over and over and over again by new guys such as yourself. And the repetition drives some of the guys to the point of wanting to put a bullet in their head since they can't reach through your computer screen and put a choke hold on you. They are ignoring you because you obviously didn't bother to try and learn from the huge amount of knowledge already written in this forum - by using the search function.

Try the search function. You'll find a vast amount of answers to your questions have already been posted.

apologies for my rude remark!
I actually have searched this forum for hours, and on a side note find your search to be un-useful. I am not a dick and I understand the repeated questions annoying the members to no end, I belong to another forum with the same issues.

I am only trying to get as much good information as possible from here before I drop cash and change my truck. The questions I have not found direct answers for,

such as ability to run a 37" tire with a 6" lift. I have seen that members have this setup, I have also seen rubbing issues with this setup and some that have cut away some of the blockage. Others say they are running them with no issues.

Secondly a remote starter aftermarket and still working with keyless entry. Is it worth while to do an after market alarm also then or is the factory alarm ok with a aftermarket alarm? I personally would love a aftermarket starter/ alarm combo with a paging function. Any suggestions on a good system?

Lastly is the factory skidplate worth while to purchase if your using a lift? I understand procomp comes with its own but it does not cover as much as the factory. Are there issues with the procomp plate and stock together? How hard to change the oil with this?

thank you in advance if you take the time to answer. I am just a newbie but I too have knowledge to share and will when I can.

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not if it meant getting in a motorcycle accident. ;)
Thanks for the comment, and to give some insight as to what happened. I was doing 30 mph when a lady in a bmw made a left hand turn into the side of my bike

Injuries: shattered both my femurs, shattered my pelvis, shattered my tail bone breaking it clean off my spine, broke my spine in 7 other places, lost my gallbladder, lacerated my spleen, punctured a lung, broke both collar bones, broke left shoulder blade, broke right humerus, closed head injury, and ten surgeries since the accident to fix my legs.

I now have rods in my legs a plate on my pelvis and pins in both my legs spine and pelvis.

Not a great way to get $paid$ , but I understand the thought of having money to do anything you want with instead of just surviving.

A pic of my bike before the accident 2006 gsxr 600

a pic of the bike after I was hit

One of my many scars, this is my left thigh (sexy huh) what guy can say they got something 11 inches in there pants !

One of the rods thats in my legs, the pin at the top connects to my pelvis

some xrays to check out

craziness

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are lucky to be alive, enjoy your truck, you deserve it.

I'd help with your questions but I know less than you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will ride a quad and snowmobile but never a bike. I just do not trust the drivers around me....
Thats the problem PEOPLE! I too ride a sled and a quad, and a dirt bike. Although everything has sat for the last 2 1/2 years due to my injuries.

This is why I want my lifted tundra I'm sick of other drivers.
(not that I would want to harm others) I just don't need to be the one hurt next time if there is one.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune I'm glad your relatively OK. I wish I could help you with your truck but most of the options your getting are currently on my wish list.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bummer on the accident.

I don't have a need for the extras you mention and really don't care about all the extra crap. So all I know is what I've read on here.

My advice
Platinum Crew max 4x4
3/1 lift with the bilsteins 5100s on 35" tires. lots of guys on here with out issue and plenty tall enough to avoid getting crushed by the other guy.

That's plenty of gadgets all covered under warranty except the bilstein shocks but bilstein covers those and has a great reputation.

As for the remote start. Look into the Viper series of alarms with remote keyless entry and remote start blah blah blah. I've heard raves about those on here and other sites as well.

I agree the search tool on this site sucks this is why I use Google.

To search this site using Google

go to Google.com

click on advanced search

type in your search parameters

near the bottom there is box labelled "Search within a site or domain:" enter tundrasolutions.com

alternately from a Google search box [enter what you want to search for] site:http://tundrasolutions.com

this confines Google's results to only tundrasolutions

example

viper remote keyless entry site:tundrasolutions.com

copy and paste that line into a Google search box

You'll be amazed at the results.

The same thing works for bing and yahoo as well

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow thanks for the advice, the google search is a bit easier no doubt.
I will look into the viper starter/security

1 - 20 of 23 Posts