Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here. I recently purchased a 2000 Tundra with 131,000 miles. I don't know much about Tundra's and I have no idea if the timing belt has ever been replaced. I don't yet have any type of shop manual for the truck, but Im wondering if there is a quick way I can get a look at the timing belt myself to see what kind of shape its in? I probably would do the work myself, I just don't want to deal with it if it looks like the belt has been changed. Thanks

Shaun

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I would do a carfax on it. Carfax sometimes shows maintenance reports on vehicles. But if not get the timing belt and water pump changed ASAP. Probably going to be about a $800-$1,000 job at a Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you know which dealership serviced the truck, give them a call and tell them your vin #. They will have a record of the work done on the truck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll bite the bullet and change it out just to be safe. I'm just curious why you guys choose to get the work done at a Toyota dealership, versus a regular shop. The dealership here is twice as expensive for everything. I was quoted $550 to have it done at a local shop.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I'm thinking the only way to really inspect the timing belt would be to take everything
apart, and then at that point you may as well just put a new one in as it would be
labor intensive to get there.

If you find out it's been done then you'll be all set, otherwise replace it. I had the
Toyota dealer here do mine and it cost about $900.00. I do most of my own work
and only use OEM parts. If you choose to have someone else do it insist on them
using OEM parts. Even better, go buy the thing yourself and bring it to them to
install. But if it were me, I'd have the dealer do it even though it costs more. They
work on the things all the time, so they are more apt to know what they're doing.

Also, as was mentioned, you really can't tell the age of the belt by looking at it. There
are past posts in regards to the belts where people said they changed theirs well
beyond the recommended mileage/time frame and the belt looked brand new.

John

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll bite the bullet and change it out just to be safe. I'm just curious why you guys choose to get the work done at a Toyota dealership, versus a regular shop. The dealership here is twice as expensive for everything. I was quoted $550 to have it done at a local shop.
I chose to do the work myself. The only hard part is getting the crank pulley bolt off if you don't have the special tool. Everything else is easy. Just lots of parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts