Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Nfab steps for about three years during which I've touched them up a few times. After the winter we had this year though...they took a beating!
The "rattle-can" paint I had used before just wasn't cutting it, and the powder coating had some really rough spots, so I decided to try a different approach.
I used Rust-O-Leum "Truck Bed Liner" in a spray can to re-finish the steps this time. Worked fairly well. The nozzles were frequently clogged so it was a bit of a pain. They turned out pretty decent. Still have a few tiny spots that are a bit thin, but all in all, I think this will work. They have much more grip now so that's a plus!
I spent around $30 between the paint and prepping supplies. Compared to the $200 quote I got from Line-X and the $300 quote to have them re-powder coated...I think it was the right direction!

Here are some pics...

Before:

Prep Work:

Painting:

Finished:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Looks great man! Im thinking about getting these for my truck, how do you like them? I wear a size 15 shoe so i need a big spot to step when i get in the truck. Its hard to tell from pictures, is the step fairly big?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Hopefully I extended the life on these for a while now...$$$ tight, ya know!?
The steps are made well. They measure about 10" long and 3" deep. I admit...I've missed them a few times and I have size 10 shoe so... Although the texture is much rougher now and it "grabs" my shoe much better.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
The steps are very "grabby". I slip on the door sill rather than the steps. If not for the steps catching my fall, I would be hurting. How did you hang them during prep...from the ceiling???

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We tied string from the garage door track, then through a hole in the anchor points. It did the job, and the rails aren't heavy so the track was plenty to support them.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I did my nerfs last weeked with the Dupli Color spray on bedliner. Looks good and only cost $16 for 2 cans. They wanted over $350 to LineX them here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have loved to Line-X them...but didnt have the $$$ to do so. We'll see how this coating stands up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
what products did you use for the prep work?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a set on order , I was thinking on rattle can bed liner before the install , all I will need to do is clean them real good .and take a scotchbrite pad to them , then shoot em with a couple of coats

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a wore brush, scotch pads, 120 grit sandpaper and some degreaser. Wear protective gear (glasses, gloves and mask) while stripping the coating.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great job on the refinish, those look alot better.

Just a side note, some of you fellers should use alumahyde or KG Gunkote, both finishes are used in the firearms industry. I have used it on several rifles and many handguns with exellent results and it is just as tough if not tougher than powdercoat and looks just like it. It can be used as a can spray or used in a liquid via an airbrush.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts