Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local auto parts store does not carry the BKR6EYA plugs I need for my '04 Tundra, but they do have the BKR6EIX (iridium). Would these be ok to use?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes, sparkplugs.com shows that this is the cheaper Iridium plug for the V8 Tundra application. NGK still recommends that these plugs be replaced in 30k miles because they don't have the platinum-tipped electrode. Most auto parts stores will order the parts they don't have--that might be an option.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You are probably going to start lots of discussion with this one!

No, I would not buy a $7.00 plug when a $2.00 plug will do. As a matter of fact, I get the $1.50 Autolites #3932. Toyota says to change them every 30,000 miles anyway.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The autolites were my only other option. The cost really isn't my concern, I just wanted to be sure these were the correct plugs (BKR6EIX)since the part number doesn't match that in the manual (BKR6EYA).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got the autolites or the NGK BKR6EIX?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting the Autolite Platinums ($2.95 ea). I figured the gap would already be set, but they weren't. Good thing I checked. They were set for the 6 cyl. engine (0.040"), so I had to set them to 0.031". The old plugs were gapped at 0.035" on average, which I am assuming is due to worn electrodes. Thanks for everyones input!

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts

No, I would not buy a $7.00 plug when a $2.00 plug will do. As a matter of fact, I get the $1.50 Autolites #3932. Toyota says to change them every 30,000 miles anyway.
That's just for your application. Not everyone can do this. Different spark plugs have different properties. Hence with some Denso IK series plugs, they are colder in 1 or 2 steps. Mostly for forced induction applications.

If you have an everyday driver that isn't performance driven, then I could agree to some extent. I don't trust those autolites though. I've never even heard of them. NGK or Denso gets my money. I've used them for years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just replaced mine for the first time at 90,000 miles. I guess I should have looked in the owners manual sooner if they're saying to replace them every 30,000 miles. I am taking a 1,200 mile round trip over the next two weekends, pulling a boat, so am hoping the new plugs will improve fuel economy. I was amazed at how much the factory plugs had eroded; they were at 0.063". An internet search turned up what appeared to be a Toyota service bulletin that said they should be 0.031". It's amazing that I had not noticed it in the way the engine runs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts