Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NHTSA Investigates Lurching

Before all the hard core proud Tacoma owners try to dismiss this as either driver error or a A/C idle solenid, I talked to the National Highway Safety Engineer who has informed me there have been several complaints of 2005+ owners complaining of their V6 Tacoma truck wanting to lurch during deceleration. As I said this is not an A/C solenoid issue, the lurching exists with the A/C on or off. The investigation is in the preliminary stages and they need to talk to other owners who have experienced this as well. They would especially like to talk owners who had an accident as a result. In order to get Toyota to address this issue anyone who has experienced their truck wanting to lurch as it "approaches a stop" or you find yourself "riding the brakes" in stop and go traffic because of this condition, please e-mail or call the National Highway Safety Engineer at the following address:
Ajit Alkondon
Safety Defects Engineer
U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation
400 7th Street SW, Room 5319-G, NVS-211
Washington, D.C. 20590
[email protected]
Phone: 202-366-3565
Fax: 202-366-1767

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not dismissing anyone elses experience with this problem, but I just wanted to note that I notice this only when at a full stop in drive (automatic) and with the air conditioning or defroster on. Will stop immediately when either of those are turned off.

With that in mind, does what I experience relate to what is being investigated?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
remtl,

With the A/C on, as mentioned on many threads, does cause an increase in rpm's. This is a definately noticable situation. However; at least with my vehicle, the A/C on only aggreviates an already high idle/lurch. If you don't feel any lurching with the A/C off or the defroster off, than I doubt this relates to you. However; to be sure you may want to contact the NHTSA engineer listed in the top of the thread.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had several close calls and I think the system in my truck is for **** and does not work right. This happens all the time with out any air or other systems on trys to push the truck through and intersection.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EXACTLY, Please call NHTSA and file a complaint. This is the only way Toyota is going to fix this.
I have had several close calls and I think the system in my truck is for **** and does not work right. This happens all the time with out any air or other systems on trys to push the truck through and intersection.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This "Lurch" must have some serious power and traction to push you thru intresections. I can go out, push down the brake pedal and floor the truck and all that happens is tire smoke. Maybe this feature can be used to unstick the truck from a nasty mud hole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up and getting us the contact.

I've definately been sitting at a red light in my 07 and suddenly there's a little lurch forward if I don't have enough brake pressure on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought before anyone try to question the validity of this posting, I would post my response that I made on the Toyota Nation forum when someone called the safety Engineer at NHTSA and was informed there was no "formal investigation". Thanks..

Here is the situation at NHTSA: First let me start off saying it was me who posted this complaint with NHSTA on the Tundra Forum and I appreciate the person who forwarded it here. I tried to post here but had trouble with my activation code. Anyway; when I read someone called NHTSA and the person on the phone was irriated by this posting I became outraged and called the safety engineer back. When I spoke with him last week he advised there were other complaints of lurching and it was in the "preliminary stages". I took that as an "investigation" and the engineer advised it is not considered a "formal investigation" by NHSTA definition yet.. However; the engineer was glad I made the post and advised the more people who file a complaint, especially the ones who've had an accident, it will certainly have an impact on expediating the 'investigating' process. He advised there were at least 10-12 calls/emails from Toyota Nation members and promised to follow this through. He advised anyone who hasn't filed an official complaint please do on the NHTSA website. I'll locate it and send in another post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA452
I called the number and found a somewhat irritated guy telling me there is no investigation into the problem, strongly recommended I simply register a complaint on their webpage, and said he "needs to talk to whoever posted that email on a forum"...

·
Registered
542 Posts
This "Lurch" must have some serious power and traction to push you thru intresections. I can go out, push down the brake pedal and floor the truck and all that happens is tire smoke. Maybe this feature can be used to unstick the truck from a nasty mud hole.

Love the sarcasm, but its when you are already stopped...the trans. downshifts to 1st and unless you have the brake pedal absolutely planted in the firewall (far more than what would normally be expected), the truck lurches forward. Mine did all the time for the first 20k miles....now I don't experience it at all. Though, I did have a few close calls when the truck was new.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is it possible people are confusing this with axle wrap, which is pretty noticable on this truck? On my 05 I've experienced the axle wrap sensation, especially when the truck was new, where it feels like the truck wants to lurch forward a few seconds after you come to a stop. It's just the leaf springs releasing tension. I never noticed anything connected to the a/c being on, and with my foot on the brake, the truck has never actually moved forward, not even an inch.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NicksToy, I guess it possible some may confusing the issues, however; my situation exists all the time-every time and doesn't last a few seconds when coming to a stop. Requires a significant amount of brake force to keep vehicle stopped inorder to prevent from not lurching ahead. Also when in traffic and decelarating it's noticeable. Others have mentioned the A/C has the culprit, but I have experienmented with the A/C on and off and have not noticed any difference.

Is it possible people are confusing this with axle wrap, which is pretty noticable on this truck? On my 05 I've experienced the axle wrap sensation, especially when the truck was new, where it feels like the truck wants to lurch forward a few seconds after you come to a stop. It's just the leaf springs releasing tension. I never noticed anything connected to the a/c being on, and with my foot on the brake, the truck has never actually moved forward, not even an inch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've noticed that if I take my foot off the brake and change from Park to Drive, the truck goes, moves forward at about 4mph on flat ground without pressing the go pedal. Is this the issue you're describing?

I thought this was a nice feature of the truck. My 4.0L '96 Cherokee did the same thing - you let off the brake and it went. My '06 Liberty doesn't. You let off the brake and it just sits there. You have to give it some gas to get it started moving. If you're facing up a hill, it rolls backwards. I'd prefer it to go when I let off the brake.

The Taco manual says something about the truck having some kind of anti-roll-backwards-down-a-hill assist (obviously I can't remember what they call it). It keeps you from drifting backwards when you're stopped facing up a hill. Might the "lurching" be a side-effect of this program?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have never had this problem at all. When slowing down it does like to downshift which feels like it is lurching, but I have never had it take off on my when I am stopped and I do not keep a heavy foot on the brake pedal at all.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, I don't see having to hold down a significant of brake pressure force to prevent the vehicle from lurching out and hitting the guy ahead of you "a nice feature". My vehicle runs about 6-8mph on flat ground. The anti-roll feature you mention is called HAC(hill-start assist) and works with the brake system. However; your point about HAC is something I thought about as well. It's my understanding that HAC is only available either with the 4WD Auto or 2WD Auto with VSC(stability control). I have the later and have wondered if this combination hasn't possibly generated the problem? I really don't see how, since it's my understanding that the HAC works with the brake system and not the engine or transmission.

Quote:"I thought this was a nice feature of the truck."

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an '07 Sport automatic and several times have found myself sitting at a red light and suddenly find myself glancing in the rear view mirror to see who just nudged my rear bumper. Of course the car behind me is always nowhere near my bumper. But it's happened several times. I'm not sure if I actually move at all or is it's just the leaf springs letting go. I'll have to pay more attention to it and see which I think it is. But since I've never (in 2 weeks) noticed anything untoward until I was at a complete stop, I suspect it might be just the axle wrap phenomenon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
since there seems to be enough people experiencing something from only this short amount of responses, perhaps, we should make this a sticky as it seems like it could be a legit issue. If it actually is then there is a tremendous safety situation here and it needs to be seen and understood by all.

I say make it a sticky and post this on all the other "many" tacoma forums for max. exposure and get something done about it.

my .02 cents.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:tu: Agreed...Since this original post on here,TN, and others..I will say the tranny clutches have loosened up somewhat. Approx 5000 miles now and the truck still idles 6-8 mph on level/flat ground. Still excessive IMO. I know it's a truck... but I still don't care for having to hold excessive 'brake pedal pressure' in order to keep from slamming into the guy ahead of me. Still finding myself 'riding the brakes' in very slow traffic. I believe many probably still have the issue but have just gotten used to it; therefore, anticipate by applying the brakes much sooner and harder than what I consider normal. Having said all that..still a great truck and no other major issues.

since there seems to be enough people experiencing something from only this short amount of responses, perhaps, we should make this a sticky as it seems like it could be a legit issue. If it actually is then there is a tremendous safety situation here and it needs to be seen and understood by all.

I say make it a sticky and post this on all the other "many" tacoma forums for max. exposure and get something done about it.

my .02 cents.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have mentioned this to the dealer several times, they just tell me its normal or they cant duplicate it. its not a good feeling when u stop for a pedestrian and your truck lunges toward them...

·
Registered
60 Posts
really folks this needs to be a sticky on all forums, a proverbial squeeky wheel, this is a dangerous situation and could really screw some normal person big time. I suggest that perhaps the original poster or some other motivated individual do a bit of forum research, link it to the sticky on this site, get it stuck on other sites and move it along. Essentially anyone with this issue should be the "motivated individual" and step up to the plate. For the sake of safety, family, your truck and hold toyota accountable for the reputation we all help them to enjoy........ and it's the right thing to do.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts