Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post of pic of where I mounted my Tekonsha Prodigy trailer brake controller. I have the 10' Tundra with bench seat and was really debating on where I would put it that I didn't hit it with my leg every time I got in and out of the truck. I removed the ashtray and ashtray mount. The Prodigy bracket fits into the slot with the screws and mounting holes lining up perfectly. Also, the compartment has an opening in the back that I was able to snake the wires through then run around to the plug behind the kick panel. It fits and looks great and I didn't have to cut or drill anything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Nice job, thanks for sharing with us!

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Looks good!!
Everything that I have tried to put in there didn't fit. Mine's got post-it note pads in it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
How do you like the Prodigy? I've been thinking of getting one, or maybe the P3. Right now I have an old Reese and I've been hearing great things about the Tekonesha's

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't used it yet. I got it because of all the good reviews I read. I had the Pilot before and it worked well but it was jerky. Supposedly the Prodigy gets rid of that.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
well i decieded i did not want the controller mounted permanant and mounted where i had to reach for it if i want a quick extra brake. so i extended the wiring and put in a quick connect where i could use the controller on another truck also. now i keep the controller under the seat and i use an elastic strap to mount it on the center consol. my hand rest on it most of the time. it works well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I looked into doing that with my P3, was really close to pulling the trigger. Ended up mounting it down below the 12V power sources, it doesn't have to be mounted horizontally as it's an inertia brake controller that automatically adjusts itself. The P3 is awesome!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Which is the better unit, the Prodigy or the P3 ? I'm towing a 7x17 tandem enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I mounted my prodigy in the same place. Excellant location, easy to reach when the center seat is folded down. also it is eastily removed using the standard bracket provided with the unit. I store it under the center seat bottom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Prodigy, and it is great. I have never used anything else, so nothing to compare, but I find it easy to set up and easy to use. It does everything I would expect it to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TB, thanks for the post. I will be installing the same controller later this month and this is the location I had in mind. You mentioned the location had an opening in the back. Mine doesn't appear to have an opening in th back of the compartment but there is a screw and washer back there. Did you remove this screw to open an access? Not sure what the screw is attached to, or holding in place, just don't want to remove it only to find out that something behind it was now going to be loose. Would like to know how you did this part of the install.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Trekker. I actually took that screw and washer out too but then took a light and looked in the back of the slot and found the opening at the top (a small opening on the left and a larger opening on the right).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the response, I will get the flashlight out tonight and take a look.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I thought I would show you guys where I put mine. I love the Prodigy and this is the 3rd truck that I have had it it. I tow a 24ft Travel Trailer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts