Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know there are tons of tire threads, but hey, times change.
And keep your search comments to yourself. I spent about two hours searching with both site search tools and Google all to no avail.

BFG AT $966.00 Out the door
Nitto Grapplers $1018.00 Out the door

These prices are for 275/65 R 18 E Rated

I do heavy towing 8-9 K lbs with occasional off road use nothing serious campground access roads, fire trails etc.

Most of my driving is short haul to work and back (this is my daily driver) and a few hundred miles per month (2-3 trips averaging 150 mi or so) heavy towing and occasional camping.

Anybody that has had both these brands feel free to chime in.

Important to me
Durability
Ride quality
MPG
Road Noise
Appearance.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the BFG AT T/A KO in a 275/70/18 size... they're cheaper than the 285/65/18s and taller too.

Other than that, i like my BFGs, but might as well strive for the bigger tire!

-rockstate

·
Registered
333 Posts
always my preference is the BFG's.
Have never had a bad report or heard any bad stories about them.
I have the 305/65/18's on my truck now.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I don't know about the Nitto's, so its not fair for me to vote really. I can tell you that I LOVE my BFG's though. Great ride quality, long mileage warranty, E load rating, great tread pattern.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm in the same boat.. and i'm thinking I want the Nittos.. everyone has those darn BFGs!! I think the sidewall on the nitto looks more aggressive, which I like.. Though, that's from pics only, it could look completely lame in person. I want to go for 295-70-18's though (34.3), and have a 3" lift. Not sure about those prices.. When I was just checking around for prices on my size, I found a place online that will do 4 with free shipping for 880.. In the 275/65 size saw a few places that will do around 850 including shipping.. Usually mount and balance is $60 or so, which would save you another $100 on the Nittos.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in the same boat.. and i'm thinking I want the Nittos.. everyone has those darn BFGs!! I think the sidewall on the nitto looks more aggressive, which I like.. Though, that's from pics only, it could look completely lame in person. I want to go for 295-70-18's though (34.3), and have a 3" lift. Not sure about those prices.. When I was just checking around for prices on my size, I found a place online that will do 4 with free shipping for 880.. In the 275/65 size saw a few places that will do around 850 including shipping.. Usually mount and balance is $60 or so, which would save you another $100 on the Nittos.
$880? Where?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
13 Posts
BFG's!!!

I've had both... the Nitto's wore out faster than ANY TIRE I'VE EVER HAD!!! They were a little noisier than the BFG's and didn't last half as long.....

They do look cooler, but I ain't rich enough to buy them twice as often.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had both and loved the Nitto's more aggressive look (IMO) and their price. My only concern that I had on the Nitto's was at higher speeds it seemed like the tires didn't handle all that well; it was actually scary at times.

I had the BFG's on two of my work trucks and got excellent mileage out of them. I don't like how it seems everybody out there has the same tire but that's gotta mean something as well. On a side note though, I don't do any off roading but a friend of mine goes pretty far in the sticks. He never liked the pattern on the BFG's because he said they didn't cut through the mud as well as others. Like I said, I don't have any personal experience and he may have been blowing smoke but he said that was his only complaint on that brand.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I went with the nittos. they arrive on Friday.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. Keep the good experience notes coming. It's all good info for the decision making process.

I value the opinions and experiences of the members on this forum.

I'm not planning on any kind of lift in the near future, so I'm sticking with as close to stock sizes as I can. (But thanks for the input Rockstate.)
I don't go in deep mud as there really isn't too much here in So Cal. So the tread pattern not cleaning itself as well as not a very big issue for me.

I do want as long a life as possible out of any tire. It looks like the BFGs are pulling ahead.

Other than looks (Which is waaaay down on my selection criteria) and a tread pattern that clears mud better, do the Nittos offer any clear advantage?

·
Registered
70 Posts
just installed BFG 275/70R18 and love them. took a trip on interstate this weekend and i was shocked at how quiet these big tires are. they are actually quieter than stock rugged trails in my opinion.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nitto's all the way. I ran them on my 06 and got 65,000 miles out of them before they were dry rotted. I'm ordering some tomight in a 285 70 R20 without a lift.

·
Registered
424 Posts
BFG's, Love 'em.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those recommending the the taller 275/70 tire size I have some questions.

I hear that the taller side wall will give me a better ride. Is that true?
Do they rub if I haven't lifted the front?
How do they affect MPG both in terms of the auto calculated one and actually doing the math by hand?
Did you have the speedo re-calibrated?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I havent had the BFG's on my tundra (yet), but I have had them on my tahoe, my cherokee, and my grand cherokee.

Hands town the best truck tires I've ever had. My brothers have both owned at least one set each too. They've used them extensively off-road.

Absolutely killer in moderate snowfall, I believe theyeven get a "severe winter" service rating. That probably doesn't mean much in so-cal though.

For reference I've also had Bridgstone dueler H/T's, Dueler A/T's, Dueler A/T revos, Yokohama Geolander A/T's, BFG all terrains, BFG mud terrains (old style), the deuler Crap-terrains that came stock on my tundra, a set of Swamper LTB's on my cj, and a set of Deuler Winter tires.

For all around performance and treadwear, the BFG A/T's couldnt be beat. I will be getting a set of tem for my tundra this summer in the 275/70-18 flavor. The mud performance leaves something to be desired, but otherwise they work well off road too. I'm not planning on mud bogging my tundra anyway, Mud is the devil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts