Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I retired some very out-of-round BFG's with the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Wow, I love these tires! Very smooth and so much quieter than the BFG's. Nicely aggressive without comprimising road comfort. I haven't gotten the chance to take them off-road, but I have no doubt they will perform as well or better than the BFG's. Just an overall great tire. I have the Toyo Open Country tires on my Nissan Pathfinder and while I really like those, I think my new favorite it the Nitto. Definitely a worthwhile purchase at $130/tire.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
How many miles have you gotten out of the toyos? I have them and am not expecting to get 40,000miles out of them. And I heard the Nittos wore even more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had two issues with the BFG Rugged Trail tires that came on my 2001 Tacoma . First is that the tread life is the worst of any tire that I have ever owned and second, punctures started after only 25,000 miles. I replaced them at about 36,000 miles with the All-Terrain T/A® KO and those are still strong at 120,000 miles but will need to be replaced soon. The Rugged Trails on my Tundra haven’t made 25,000 and are already shot. I’m not looking forward to spending $1,500 for tires this year but such is life. The initial cost of the All-Terrain T/A® KO is high but with 3X the tread life, more economical in the long run.
Nitto Terra Grapplers look like a good all terran design. Just a shame they don’t come in LT265/70R16. My odometer is already off by several miles and that makes gas mileage hard to compute. Going to 267/75 just makes it worse what with fewer revs per mile. I could really use the extra ground clearance. Every little bit helps.
Let us know what you think of the Terra Grapplers this time next year.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have had two issues with the BFG Rugged Trail tires that came on my 2001 Tacoma . First is that the tread life is the worst of any tire that I have ever owned and second, punctures started after only 25,000 miles. I replaced them at about 36,000 miles with the All-Terrain T/A® KO and those are still strong at 120,000 miles but will need to be replaced soon. The Rugged Trails on my Tundra haven’t made 25,000 and are already shot. I’m not looking forward to spending $1,500 for tires this year but such is life. The initial cost of the All-Terrain T/A® KO is high but with 3X the tread life, more economical in the long run.
Nitto Terra Grapplers look like a good all terran design. Just a shame they don’t come in LT265/70R16. My odometer is already off by several miles and that makes gas mileage hard to compute. Going to 267/75 just makes it worse what with fewer revs per mile. I could really use the extra ground clearance. Every little bit helps.
Let us know what you think of the Terra Grapplers this time next year.

i totally agree with ya about the rugged trails. what a pos tire....imo!! mine are right @ 20k on my 06 prerunner....and they are as well shot, will not even come close to 25k:td:, so im going with the bridgestone dueler revos, which i found @ a good price,get great reviews, and have heard they are night and day versus the rugged trails!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Last Friday I retired some very out-of-round BFG's with the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Wow, I love these tires! Very smooth and so much quieter than the BFG's. Nicely aggressive without comprimising road comfort. I haven't gotten the chance to take them off-road, but I have no doubt they will perform as well or better than the BFG's. Just an overall great tire. I have the Toyo Open Country tires on my Nissan Pathfinder and while I really like those, I think my new favorite it the Nitto. Definitely a worthwhile purchase at $130/tire.
The Nitto Terra Grapplers are awesome! Very smooth and quiet just like you said. They perform very well in the snow and rain. I recommend nittos to anyone, oh and they balance nice too! :tu:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles have you gotten out of the toyos? I have them and am not expecting to get 40,000miles out of them. And I heard the Nittos wore even more.
I probably only have about 4000-5000 miles on the Toyo's. My Pathfinder is my beater truck so I don't put a ton of miles on it. It's mostly used for commuting.

So far I put about 500 miles on the Nittos and I can't believe the difference from the BFG AT's. There really is no comparison, the sad part is BFG still thinks they can charge a premium price for those tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm just wondering what someone is doing with their tires to make them last only 20K miles??
I'm still on my OE RT's at 46K+ miles, probably need to replace them in the next 1-2 months, but still above the tread markers. I drive in all conditions--snow, mud, gravel, pavement--never 1 problem with the RT's.

For my replacments, I've read so many people bag on the RTs that I guess I've been looking elsewhere (Nittos especially), but did my tires somehow get built better than eveyone else's? Not sure why everyone seems to think the BF RTs are such crap otherwise....just wondering.

The other thing about the Nittos is they seem to be great tires, but ALSO much cheaper than the BF's.

I couldn't find any mileage ratings for Nittos--those of you who have them, what is the warranty on them?

·
Registered
447 Posts
i totally agree with ya about the rugged trails. what a pos tire....imo!! mine are right @ 20k on my 06 prerunner....and they are as well shot, will not even come close to 25k:td:, so im going with the bridgestone dueler revos, which i found @ a good price,get great reviews, and have heard they are night and day versus the rugged trails!!
i went and changed my mind....im going with the goodyear wrangler silent armors.....awesome reviews, good tread, better price than the revo's. ill let all know how they turn out!

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you buy the Nitto's, expect less than 20k if you drive a lot on the street... My good friend has a much heavier truck (lifted duramax crew cab longbed) and only got 19k out of the grapplers...

As for me, I'm going BFG Baja's... But hey, I don't live in the snow and rarely see mud... Sand and launch ramps for me :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts