Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I’m new here and have a 2006 DC 4X4 V-8 with 265/65/17 tires. I’ve looked around using the elusive “search” function for the following questions and would appreciate all suggestions or comments.

• After all my research I really like the 1st Nitto Terra Grappler and then the 2nd Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Any recommendations and why or why not for either?
  • I really want 285/70/17 but they do not fit with the factory wheels. I do have a set of 2004 4Runner 17” wheels I can use, will these work? How do you measure back space on wheels, if it is possible?
  • I plan on installing 2.5” or 3” coilovers in the very near future. I really like the Camburg’s ($850) but the Bilstein’s ($600) are much cheaper. I plan on buying the Bilstein’s since there seems to be no real complaints. Any recommendations or comments on these are appreciated too.
  • After installing the coilovers, do I have to buy parts for the alignment to corrected (i.e. camber nuts)?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have never heard any complaints about the Nittos and the Pirellis seem to have a lot of good reviews on Tire Rack but I have never really heard any reviews on this site. I do remember hearing somewhere about the ATRs developing a flat spot overnight that causes a shake until they warm up but I only heard it once and I cannot remember where.

I am pretty sure the 4 runner wheels have more backspacing than the Tundra factory wheels. So that is probably not an option. To measure backspace lay the wheel face down and measure from the back lip of the wheel to where the wheel touches the rotor (mounting surface).

I have SAW coilovers and they are cheaper than the Camburgs but cost more than the Bilsteins so I can't help with that question.

You do not need any extra parts to do an alignment on a Tundra because there are alignment cams from the factory on the lower control arms.

Don't forget to buy a Diff drop since you have a 4X4!!

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. :tu:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can tell you I'm only getting 35,000 - 40,000 miles out of my terra grapplers. Other than that I love 'em. Good traction in all conditions from mud to wet pavement and look good too.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see both of you are using the SAW coilovers. I do like their write up better than the Bilstein’s I was leaning towards. How do you like them? What’s the difference between 2.0 & 2.5? Which are the best to get? I’m close to doing something and appreciate all the help.

Dan

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
2.5 and 2.0 is the diameter of the shock body. I would highly recommend the 2.5's over the 2.0's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have never heard any complaints about the Nittos and the Pirellis seem to have a lot of good reviews on Tire Rack but I have never really heard any reviews on this site. I do remember hearing somewhere about the ATRs developing a flat spot overnight that causes a shake until they warm up but I only heard it once and I cannot remember where.

I am pretty sure the 4 runner wheels have more backspacing than the Tundra factory wheels. So that is probably not an option. To measure backspace lay the wheel face down and measure from the back lip of the wheel to where the wheel touches the rotor (mounting surface).

I have SAW coilovers and they are cheaper than the Camburgs but cost more than the Bilsteins so I can't help with that question.

You do not need any extra parts to do an alignment on a Tundra because there are alignment cams from the factory on the lower control arms.

Don't forget to buy a Diff drop since you have a 4X4!!

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. :tu:
Don's buy Pirellis! I sold tires for NTB for 5 years and Pirellis suck! unless your buying Pzero's for a Ferrari don't even consider them, trust me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts