Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I mostly lurk, but I thought I'd take the time to post my results with this setup:

Tires: Nitto Trail Grappler 295/70/18
Lift: Fat Bob's Garage 3" front spacer, 2" rear block.
Wheels: Stock TRD 18"s powdercoated gloss black.

Before:

After:

Wheels:

I love the look and the ride so far. Most people with this tire say you have to trim the front skidplate, but after that....zero rub. I'm not convinced just yet. I did trim the front skidplate, and I thought I had no rub initially. But after taking it to FULL lock once or twice, I think I MIGHT have some slight rub. I'm not positive yet. It may just be the aggressive ass tread chewing at the pavement. I'll have to have someone sit behind the wheel and crank it while I look. Whatever the case is, if it's there it's minor and I'm not terribly worried about it.

And yes, there's still a little rake, which is how I wanted it. That's why I went with a 3/2 over the typical 3/1.

KiL

·
Cash-Strapped Supporter
155 Posts
The TRD rims look good with the powder coat, how much did that run you? It looks great though, congrats on the ride!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunno the price on the powdercoating. I bought the wheels off a member here....Mauleg. You'll have to ask him how much the powdercoating was. :D I think he told me, but I don't recall.

KiL

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Looks good!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Those will definitly be my next tires!! Looks awsome man its a night and day difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I always liked the simple design of the TRDs, and I like black rims. But never could find an aftermarket black rim I was thrilled with. I was gonna buy a second hand set of TRDs and get them powdercoated, but I lucked out to find a set for sale that already were.

KiL

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Wow - looks great! What a difference in the b4 & after pics!

·
Registered
69 Posts
That was money well spent. What a smart mod for your truck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. I thought so too, and aside from the tires ($1500 mounted/balanced/free replacement/blah blah), I really got good prices on everything.

The lift hardware was $190.
The lift install was $240 (the guy charged me $200, but I gave him $240 cause it was a hot miserable day).
Alignment was free.
Wheels were $340 (they were already powdercoated, and never used).

KiL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the tires alone are $288 a piece. After mounting, balancing, TPMS rebuilds, certificates for free replacement, and sales tax, they were right at $1500.

KiL

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are significantly better deals out there.... but you made up for it on the wheels. :tu:

·
Registered
422 Posts
looks great man! completely different look on before and after.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Looks great!! Have you considered color matching the grill surround/upper bumper? It looks kind of unfinished with the black. Those wheels look great black!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks great!! Have you considered color matching the grill surround/upper bumper? It looks kind of unfinished with the black. Those wheels look great black!!
I actually want to black out the chrome bumper to match the upper and grill surround. I'm not much for body matching all the components. I like a bit of contrast.

KiL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts