Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted it to be known that I've had transmission problems "3rd-4th Shift Flare" or "Fly By Wire" since I purchased my 2007 Toyota Camry, October 2006. I was told by Toyota Corporate on April 18th, 2007 that this problem was a known problem when the Camry was introduce to the public. Due to the fact they don't consider it a safety concern there is no fix, they are not working on a fix, and they do not plan on having a fix. It is my first time to purchase a Toyota & it will be my last.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just wanted it to be known that I've had transmission problems "3rd-4th Shift Flare" or "Fly By Wire" since I purchased my 2007 Toyota Camry, October 2006. I was told by Toyota Corporate on April 18th, 2007 that this problem was a known problem when the Camry was introduce to the public. Due to the fact they don't consider it a safety concern there is no fix, they are not working on a fix, and they do not plan on having a fix. It is my first time to purchase a Toyota & it will be my last.
sell it and get a lexus IS 300. they are sweet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pardon my french but...WTF?

Who in their right mind would say something like that? I think that I can say without reservation that NOBODY who gets a check from Toyota Motor Corporation!

The FACT of the matter is that there is a TSB (two in fact) that addresses the transmission issue AND I had my transmission replaced under those same TSB's.

Another FACT is that the replacement assembly (based on personal experience and feedback from others in this and some other news groups) does appear to resolve the issue.

I don't know what your issue is / was but I think that before you make statements that are so broad...you should get your so called facts straight.

(stepping off my soap box)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wake up and get the TSB done then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
IVOQ - File a Complaint tried this yet?:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have no doubt that Toyota is working to solve the issues with the U660E 6 speed automatic transaxle.
Another TSB related to this transaxle issue, came out on 5/17/07.
It's TSB TC007-07, and calls for a re-flash of the TCU.
I'm going to my dealer tomorrow 5/29, to have it done.
I've had the once after each engine start 3rd-4th shift slip (flare) since about 1200 miles.
Afterwhich the transaxle works normally until the next engine start.
Here's a link to actual video of my car doing this with about 5700 miles on the car:
(it's helpful to also have your sound turned up to hear the engine)

http://www.ori.net/edporch/U660Eflare1.wmv

I haven't pushed for the transaxle replacement up to now, because I'm still not convinced that Toyota has a fix that can routinely solve this, with a LOW RATE of failure. (like normally is the case with auto repair)

With all due respect to BoloMK33, I have no doubt that his car's transaxle issues were fixed.
But all one has to do is read the toyotanation and club lexus ES350 forums, to see an abnormally high rate of cases where when followed through from beginning to end, a replacement transaxle did not fix the problem longterm.
In some cases, the transaxle would slip (flare) when driving away from the dealer after a transaxle replacement!

That said, I've always had a gut feeling that the issue with this transaxle is at least in part a firmware problem too.
TSB TC007-07 has finally gotten me to get my feet wet with solving this issue.

I'll begin by having my TCU re-flashed.
If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll follow through with the transaxle replacement.

I'll report the progress of my case starting with the "flare" problem I've outlined in my above video so that my case can be documented for other people to see here, and on the toyotanation and Club Lexus ES350 forums.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got back from having the TSB TC007-07 re-flash of the TCU in my 2007 Camry SE V6.
My car is an 08/06 Kentucky build.

This is the first remedial step I've done with this transaxle, and I'm still on my original transaxle that came new with the car.

I STRESS THAT this report IS VERY, VERY PRELIMINARY BECAUSE I HAVEN'T YET HAD A CHANCE TO DO A TEST UNDER COMPLETE COLD SOAK CONDITIONS.
(I WILL DO THAT TONIGHT AND REPORT)

I did the approximately 15 minute drive from my Toyota dealer, and I didn't notice any slips (flares) at all.

The once after each engine start 3rd-4th shift slip (flare) I used to get, didn't happen this time.

I'LL REPORT BACK WITH MORE after I've taken the car out tonight after allowing it to cool off completely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got back from having the TSB TC007-07 re-flash of the TCU in my 2007 Camry SE V6.
My car is an 08/06 Kentucky build.

This is the first remedial step I've done with this transaxle, and I'm still on my original transaxle that came new with the car.

I STRESS THAT this report IS VERY, VERY PRELIMINARY BECAUSE I HAVEN'T YET HAD A CHANCE TO DO A TEST UNDER COMPLETE COLD SOAK CONDITIONS.
(I WILL DO THAT TONIGHT AND REPORT)

I did the approximately 15 minute drive from my Toyota dealer, and I didn't notice any slips (flares) at all.

The once after each engine start 3rd-4th shift slip (flare) I used to get, didn't happen this time.

I'LL REPORT BACK WITH MORE after I've taken the car out tonight after allowing it to cool off completely.
Just to add, that I just got back from doing the first cold start test of the TSB TC007-07 re-flash.
It didn't slip (flare) at all that I noticed.
So far so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Just wondered if the TSB has permanently fixed the flare issue for you. I bought an 07 Camry SE about 4 weeks ago (manufactured in May 07) and it too had the flare issue. The TSB was not designed for my VIN #, so there was no fix available. I asked for a new vehicle, hoping it would not have the problem. The Dealership was great about getting the new car, but it appears it too may have the same problem. From what I have read, there seems to be no permanent solution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, Just wondered if the TSB has permanently fixed the flare issue for you. I bought an 07 Camry SE about 4 weeks ago (manufactured in May 07) and it too had the flare issue. The TSB was not designed for my VIN #, so there was no fix available. I asked for a new vehicle, hoping it would not have the problem. The Dealership was great about getting the new car, but it appears it too may have the same problem. From what I have read, there seems to be no permanent solution.
I thought it was maybe going to.
But my experience shows it didn't work longterm.

I had the TSB TC007-07 TCU reflash done on 5/29/07 with 6,883 miles on the car.

Everything worked flawlessly until I had about 300 miles on the reflash.

Then my once after each engine start 3rd-4th shift slip (flare) returned.
Though it now doesn't do it every time, it still does it the great majority of the time.
It also began doing intermittent 2nd-3rd shift slips (flares), and even an occasional 1st-2nd slip (flare).

Here's a video with sound of my car with almost 1000 miles on the reflash (at 7,851 miles) I took on 6/19/2007 still doing a once after engine start 3rd-4th slip (flare).

http://www.ori.net/edporch/6-19-2007-1_after_tsb_tc007-07.wmv

This happened after the car was warmed up and sat for about 20 minutes while I bought groceries.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Mine is an '07 XLE Camry.
Had the flash done, flare persisted. The dealer then replaced the transaxle; problem seems to still be there, perhaps not as frequent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts