Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I thought it was odd when i first removed the brake line from the old caliper and noticed
no fluid came out. I just ignored it and went ahead and finished the whole job but found out this is a problem when i got to the end.

Everything went smooth until the end after I put the new caliper and opened the
bleeder screw to drain some of old fluid and no fluid came out.
So I tried bleeding it by pumping the brake pedal and was able to get some fluid out but very little. I did this over and over and could not get a steady flow of fluid, the driver side is worst with almost no fluid coming out of the screw.
Theres no pressure on the brake pedal at all when i step on it, it just goes all the way down.

Has anyone else experience this and know of a fix?
Any tips is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Never experienced this. Do you have a brake fluid check light or ever have the E-brake light randomly flashing on? I'd bring this into the dealership and get it checked for a possible leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never experienced this. Do you have a brake fluid check light or ever have the E-brake light randomly flashing on? I'd bring this into the dealership and get it checked for a possible leak.
i did have the e-brake light randomly flash on couple of months ago but i noticed my reservoir was low so i filled it to max and never had that problem ever since.
I'm hoping to get this fixed myself and avoid the dealership. Dealership would probably be my last resort if I can't figure this out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hm, well its never recommended to add any brake fluid, though it is ok to add a 1/2 ounce to compensate for lost brake fluid. how far are you from a brake job? I'm guessing you put on new pads if you do your rotors. That certainly is a weird problem. I'm a parts guy at a dealership, I'll ask a mechanic tomorrow and let you know what they way about it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What they say** about it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the bigger caliper/pads/rotor upgrade.
My pads are still ok however the driver side, one of the pad has worn out a lot more than
the other which makes me think the old caliper is bad.
For that reason and the common shaking when pressing the pedal, I finally did
the upgrade.

Thanks for your response hopefully u might be able
to get an answer from ur coworker.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If your master went dry on the front side you may not be able to pump the trapped air out of it. Try a pressure bleeder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your master went dry on the front side you may not be able to pump the trapped air out of it. Try a pressure bleeder.
master never went dry. no fluid was coming out was my problem.
i did try your tip using a pressure bleeder and was able to bleed the pass side and got a good stream of brake fluid.
im still unable to get a flow on the driver side. i did take a part the brake line to rubber hose and still no fluid. and also from upper rubber hose to brake line and still no fluid coming out. so it looks like it might be clogged somewhere from the top brake line.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Clog is the only explanation, as both sides in the front get equal pressure. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep, thats right. The master sends fluid to the two front and two rears. There is a blockage or problem in the driver side line.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pull the lines from the master and check from there. ;)
Assuming i pull the line from the master and i get a whole bunch of fluid coming out, it would probably be the line from the cylinder to the ABS thats bad? unless it's something in the ABS thats clogged up.
is it safe to unscrew the line running from the master to the ABS too? do i have to worry about air going in the ABS? or the cylinder?
i'm new to this and haven't gone this far on a break job.

btw thanks for all the tips guys. if i dont fix this myself by thurs then i will have to hire someone to do it.
in any case, will let u guys know the outcome.

clockhart: i was mistaken by the passenger side getting fluid, there was some but just little getting through. i used a liquivac to suck some of the fluid from the reservoir since it was a little dirty on the top and the fluid was still in the hose.
so when i bled the screw on the passgr it was just left over fluid from the cylinder going in :) so both lines are still clogged.
so i doubt its any of those lines going to the abs thats bad, more like the line from abs to master or the abs itself. or the master.
this is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I didn't know you had ABS... ;) I would not pull the lines going from the master to the ABS unit then... ;)

How bad was the brake fluid in the reservoir? Did you suck it out and replace it with new fluid before you bled the system?

How many miles do you have on yer Tundra? How good are those flexible brake lines looking? Have you tried taking the flexible lines (going to the calipers) off and seeing if it will bleed from the hard line? ;)

How are yer lines setup? Do they go from the master to the ABS unit and then to yer calipers? Or is there a direct line to the calipers from the master cylinder?

Have you checked the lines coming out of the ABS unit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't know you had ABS... ;) I would not pull the lines going from the master to the ABS unit then... ;)

How bad was the brake fluid in the reservoir? Did you suck it out and replace it with new fluid before you bled the system?

How many miles do you have on yer Tundra? How good are those flexible brake lines looking? Have you tried taking the flexible lines (going to the calipers) off and seeing if it will bleed from the hard line? ;)

How are yer lines setup? Do they go from the master to the ABS unit and then to yer calipers? Or is there a direct line to the calipers from the master cylinder?

Have you checked the lines coming out of the ABS unit?
The fluid wasn't bad at all, it's clear with a little bit of black coloration on top which is common i heard. and no i didnt suck it out before i bled the system. im sure none of that went it because i had no fluid coming out when i tried bleeding the 1st time.

Lines are setup; master to abs then abs to calipers. i also tried bleeding from the hard line goin caliper and no luck there.
the long line from abs to the small flexible line close to the caliper line i also checked and no fluid there.

And all the lines look good and tundra only has 86k miles.

oh and i dont know if i mentioned, i checked if i can bleed the rear drums and they are fine.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Have you ever activated yer ABS before? Maybe yer ABS unit is hosed?

I think yer gonna have to look up how to bleed yer system with the ABS unit.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, it might take a few days, i'll try to ask my ase friends.
none sadly work at toyota.
but i would think, this issue wouldn't be just a toyota issue.
now only 1 side has a issue.
or it's every bleeder, just not as bad?
gorilla

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Have you ever activated yer ABS before? Maybe yer ABS unit is hosed?

I think yer gonna have to look up how to bleed yer system with the ABS unit.
Just for the heck of it, if your truck is driveable now, take it out on some dirt and lock the brakes up. As said, maybe your ABS is blocking the flow. If you activate the system, maybe it will return to normal. Just a thought. I would tend to believe that it has to be in the ABS unit, as it is very rare to have a clogged brake line.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I wonder if the black in the line was pieces of seal from the abs unit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi, it might take a few days, i'll try to ask my ase friends.
none sadly work at toyota.
but i would think, this issue wouldn't be just a toyota issue.
now only 1 side has a issue.
or it's every bleeder, just not as bad?
gorilla
i'd appreciate that. i have until this friday to figure it out or i'll have to hire one of those mobile mechanics.

it's both side at the front that has an issue. and not just the bleeder but direct from the brake line has no fluid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just for the heck of it, if your truck is driveable now, take it out on some dirt and lock the brakes up. As said, maybe your ABS is blocking the flow. If you activate the system, maybe it will return to normal. Just a thought. I would tend to believe that it has to be in the ABS unit, as it is very rare to have a clogged brake line.
i was just thinking of that to activate abs because i dont know any other way. truck is drivable but i live in the city so i would have to travel far to find a safe place to lock up my brakes. and i dont feel safe driving far with just rear brakes :).\

1 - 20 of 31 Posts