Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Goodbye '01 Tundra :(
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 double cab 4.7L. In the morning when its cold, I hit the remote start and let the truck run for 10-15 min before I go outside. This way the truck is warm inside and the windshield is defrosted before I get in. I have always done this. On my old '01 tundra it worked as planned and the truck was warm and the windshield was clear when I got in.

In my '04, even when it runs for the full 15 minutes, there is no heat coming out of the vents and the windshield is not defrosted, BUT the temp gauge reads that its at normal operating temperature. Two things will cause heat to come out of the vents. If I get in, give it some gas, and let it sit at 2k rpm for a minute, then get out and scrape the windshield, when I get back in a small amount of heat will finally be coming out of the vents. Alternately, if I get in after letting it run and drive a half mile, the heat comes out like normal.

The truck runs fine, idles fine, and once its been driven a little, the heat works like normal. Also there is no check engine light on. I would assume this is just normal, except that the last tundra I had with the same engine did not do this. Any ideas? Could something be wrong?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Under the hood, in the center of the truck mounted to the bulkhead there is a valve on a heater hose, with a metal pushrod on it. Move this open and closed manually a few times. thing gets stuck sometimes. Had this problem during -20 degree weather with half hour commute. Thanks to TS members i got it handled. this should fix your issue

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would this account for the way it starts to warm up after its driven or would this keep it blowing cold all the time if it were the problem?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I cant quite explain it, but yes. My truck would NOT warm up untill i was on the highway, however the most heat i ever got was lukewarm at best. , unless your thermostat is being finicky. I would try this first seeing how free it is.

·
7,925 Posts
Here is another consideration - when was the last time you had a radiator flush and back flush done on the block? I have a 2004 DC and had it done a few months back and it made a very noticeable difference in the amount of heat coming out of the vents. It may be a combination of the valve and choked up passages.

I had mine done at the dealership for pretty reasonable but I cannot remember exactly how much it cost.

Just my two cents for what they are worth.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is another consideration - when was the last time you had a radiator flush and back flush done on the block? I have a 2004 DC and had it done a few months back and it made a very noticeable difference in the amount of heat coming out of the vents. It may be a combination of the valve and choked up passages.

I had mine done at the dealership for pretty reasonable but I cannot remember exactly how much it cost.

Just my two cents for what they are worth.
I will have to look into it. I just picked up this truck this past summer due to my other getting totaled, so I have not flushed the coolant.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
If the coolant was flushed in the past, there may be a bubble. Had to deal with this on g/f's car...it was a pretty big bubble, too, like they hadn't burped the system or something. In the morning, before you turn over the engine, pop the radiator cap and make sure it's topped off, then turn the engine over and let it idle for a few seconds...doesn't take long. Any bubbles should come out...fill as necessary, put the cap back on, and drive. Any excess will end up in the overflow reservoir, so you're in no danger of overfilling.

That may not be the problem at all, but it's very easy to check.

-Sean

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night I checked out the lever on the firewall and it seems to be moving freely from stop to stop without an issue. I didn't take the radiator cap off because the engine was hot, but I noticed that there was no coolant in the overflow so I filled it up to the full line. This morning when I came out figuring I would let it idle for a bit to try to burp the system I noticed that all the coolant I had added to the overflow was gone (and there was none on the ground so it didn't spill out, haha). I opened the radiator and topped that off and let it idle for a few minutes. After that I was running out of time so I capped everything and closed the hood and let it run while I went back inside for a couple minutes before I left for work. When I came back out it was blowing hot air in the cab. Could the problem just be that my coolant was low? (if so I will feel like a real newb for not topping it off before asking this question, hahaha)

I will see if it is any better tomorrow, if not I will replace the thermostat.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't noticed any coolant smells or any spots in my driveway, so maybe it was just low. I will keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Could the problem just be that my coolant was low?
Uh-huh...this is exactly what was happening with my g/f's car after a coolant system repair at the dealer.

:lol: @ newb comment. I've done worse. :behindsofa:

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make sure you used red coolant, I think? toyota jumped down my back for mixing coolant
Yeah, I did that. Toyota has "pink" too which is pre mixed, but they said its not what the tundra is supposed to use and they insisted I use the red. So I always keep some around.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Well glad that you found your problem. If it is leaking I hope you locate the source before it leaks out again. I'd check to see if all hose clamps are tight and nothing obvious is showing plus I'd check the heater core to make sure that it isn't leaking. If the system was recently serviced it could be something as simple as the drain valve not being completely tight.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I honestly don't think its leaking unless its getting burned up somewhere that I can't smell it, which seems unlikely. I think it might have just been low from the dealership and I never noticed. I blew my back out this past year, my last tundra got totaled, I had surgery, then a recurrent herniation, then an epidural steriod injection, and the problem still isn't solved, so honestly I have had other things on my mind and haven't put much thought or effort into the tundra, haha, I have turned into one of those people who drives the truck and hardly pays attention to it otherwise. :(

I am not sure what the capacity of the reservoir it, but I filled it to the full line once and the cooling system used almost all of it, I filled it up a second time and it used less than half and it has stayed at that point yesterday and today. So maybe it was just really low. I will keep an eye on it and if it keeps using coolant I will definitely start trying to find out why.

·
Registered
206 Posts
One thing to add which probably wont apply to you but may help others. Find a hill where you can safely park facing uphill and let it idle for 10 or 15 minutes and if there are any air bubbles trapped this should help to release them. I have had to do this in the past due to an engine not wanting to burp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts