Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one post on this, but it was mainly concerned with sound. I found the sound I want, but I just want to know if it will hurt performance. I took my muffler off last night just to see how it sounded. I haven't put a straight pipe in to get it from under the cab of the truck yet because I want to check with yall first for performance issues. To my surprise, my V6 could have been mistaken for a V8. It sounds real good tone wise. My roomate did the same to his GMC stepside V6...real deep at idle. My Tundra wasn't too loud at idle, but just the slightest amount of gas would be amplified. My question is...does having no muffler hurt performance at all? Will it trip any codes in the computer? I don't see why it would because the o2 sensors haven't been touched and my cats and resonators are still there. Loss of low end or backpressure issues? Is there any big negative to doing this to my exhaust? Thanks.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
no brainer
no muffler=no back pressure=no low end.:mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so would an aftermarket muffler do the job but still give me some sound? What about glasspacks? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
installing an aftermarket muffler such as flowmaster or borla will definitely give you sound, and you'll be right where u need to be with backpressure! as far as more power, i dont really think it will be anything significant, although you may gain a small bit of mileage! pick out whatever muffler u want and let us know how it sounds!! hope this helps! btw......dont really think glasspacks will sound too good,just my opinion though;)!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. I was just curious to see how it sounded on a V6. As good as it sounds, I felt a little loss in low end torque today while driving to work. So I think I will go with either an original 40, super 40 or 40 delta flow (flowmaster)...can't make up my mind yet. I just want to hear it ya know. Thanks again for your help and any muffler suggestions are welcome. Talked to the muffler shop yesterday and I'm going to see them next Thursday.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i got a 18'' magnaflow muffler on mine sounds really good and is pretty deep for a v6

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, so far that's what I've been hearing. Magnaflow or Flowmaster...with an occasional Flo Pro or glasspack. My roomate is going to put a Magnaflow on his Chevy V6 so I might wait to hear his before I do anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My roomate put a magnaflow on his truck the other day and drove it around. We both decided it was way too quiet so he brought it back and put an original 40 on. Much louder and deeper than the magnaflow. He's got a Chevy 4.3 V6.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ahh should have gave it some time magnaflow takes awhile to breakin the packing mine was really quiet at first and i wasint happy well i know it would take some time so a few weeks later it got louder and sounded awesome

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I'm thinking about throwing on an original or super 40 flowmaster. Duals are still floating around in my head but so is the price. I really like the sound without the muffler, but I don't want to hurt mpg or low end. Hopefully the 40 won't be too quiet on a V6.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yea I'm thinking about throwing on an original or super 40 flowmaster. Duals are still floating around in my head but so is the price. I really like the sound without the muffler, but I don't want to hurt mpg or low end. Hopefully the 40 won't be too quiet on a V6.

honestly...i think the original 40 will be right up your alley!!! go for it!:tu: and if u arent gonna run duals, just go with the muffler, it will have a slight raspy sound, but not too bad, then add duals later on down the road!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
my 18'' magnaflow is pretty loud i couldint image how loud it well be with a 14'' muffler

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put the original 40 on my 4.0 probably around a month ago. At first, I wasn't pleased with the sound at all (way too quiet). Now, it's starting to get louder and deeper. It has more of that "flowmaster sound" to it now. I also found out from a member on this forum that our engines don't have any resonators on it, we have 4 cats :( His name is mustang something, anyway, he's a master toyota tech of 23 years so I'll take his word for it. Sucks though cuz I wanted to cut those other two off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate that info. I spent a few hours just lying under my truck confused as to what those damn things are. 4 cats...little odd to me but good to know. I won't be messing with those now. Thanks again and I'll let you know how the 40 sounds on mine...did you weld it on or bolt it on? I'm guessing weld.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate that info. I spent a few hours just lying under my truck confused as to what those damn things are. 4 cats...little odd to me but good to know. I won't be messing with those now. Thanks again and I'll let you know how the 40 sounds on mine...did you weld it on or bolt it on? I'm guessing weld.
Yeah, mine was welded in. I had it dumped with a turn down just after the muffler. The only way I'm going to get the loud exhaust that I want is to cut the muffler off. I'd have to run dual pipes out the back again because the drone would be horrendous. I like to hear it, but not that bad. As for a little loss in low end, I don't really care. This ain't a race truck, or a heavy duty hauler so it won't really affect my driving habit much, if at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I lost a little low end, but it seems my "passing" power or high end I guess has bumped up. Still looking into the gas mileage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts