Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel kind of robbed as my LTD Tundra with leather never smelled like a new car. No new car smell and certainly no leather smell. It's kind of stinky when the air is blowing.

I don't smoke it it. I don't eat in it. I only have water to drink in it...

Anyone else notice this? I get in my brother's Ford or Mercedes and they smell great and they are older than my truck!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My truck's AC stinks to high heaven.

I had new car smell in my truck but that disappeared after a few months - I like windows a lot when it's warm.

I had heard that the way they build cars now a days, new car smell isn't really there anymore. Can't remember why exactly.

-rockstate

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
It wouldn't matter for me. On the way home I would crank out a few farts
which would pretty much cancel out what the truck had to offer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My truck only stinks when my air is blowing. LOL I just started to lose the new car smell in my truck that I bought in Apr 08. The seat covers I got might have had something to do with that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
"New car" smell is caused by Volatile Organic Compounds (cleverly enough, they're often referred to as VOCs). These are released from the interior materials. In theory, breathing in less of these would be "healthier" though you'd probably never ingest enough from sitting in new cars to make it a health hazard.

That said, people comment that my '07 still has "new car" smell. Maybe y'all just suck up a lot of "new car"? *shrug*

·
Registered
181 Posts
I used to fix that bad a/c smell when I was a tech for Mercedes Benz. First, you have to make sure that the drains for the evaporator are clear. Then, you spray a disinfectant/deodorant spray into the air intake (for the HVAC) with the blower on high. Shut the blower off and let the vehicle sit for a few hours. I have done so many of these, it worked every time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I test drove an LTD Tundra at San Marcos and farted in it the whole time I drove it. I wonder if... nah, couldn't have been! :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
get some "wet okole" seat covers, then it can smell like wet suit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm a big fan of the spray called "That New Car Smell." It definitely doesn't make your rig smell like a new car, but evidently many rental car companies use this fragrance in their vehicles, so that scent now reminds me of vacations in florida with my family and we'd always have a rented van that smelled like that spray.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Save it. You're doing yourself a big favor without all those VOCs anyway like the poster above. Do you really want Formadelhyde (sp?), the same thing that's in tobacco products and medical dissection equipment in your car?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I used to fix that bad a/c smell when I was a tech for Mercedes Benz. First, you have to make sure that the drains for the evaporator are clear. Then, you spray a disinfectant/deodorant spray into the air intake (for the HVAC) with the blower on high. Shut the blower off and let the vehicle sit for a few hours. I have done so many of these, it worked every time.
More info! Where are these drains and intake (HVAC) for the tundra? What spray do you use and where can I get it?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my a/c occasionally has that musty smell too. but i had the new car smell when new so did our benz. both are "old car" smell now i guess.

C5 corvettes were bad about the musty smell, my parents 02 had a tsb to have a module put in at the dealer that turned on the HVAC fan for a couple of minutes after it was parked for a little while...i cant remember how many times and how often but the idea was it dried out the evap case by just blowing non ac air through there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
More info! Where are these drains and intake (HVAC) for the tundra? What spray do you use and where can I get it?
The drains should be under the vehicle, above the transmission. There most likely will be one rubber tube on each side.

The intake is where the w/wipers sit when not in use.

I don't know what the spray was called. Any disinfectant/deodorant spray should work (like Lysol). Just find one that you like the smell of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts