Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Sequoia quit while driving. Coolant a little low, so I added a head gasket repair and 1/2 gallon antifreeze. Oil good, pulled plugs and did compression checks. Good on driver side, passenger bank 30, 0, 30,30psi. spark seems to be ok. Plugs worn Im sure the gap is too big. Timing belt was changed at 129000 engine at 228,000. With fuel on air filter it wont start. All the fuses seem ok. Cold air intake has a hole on bottom where mount punched through aluminum, so all I can figure is dirt got in there and ruined the rings but why only on one side. AT high temp light on, but it should still start with starter fluid even with the low compression. I have not checked the fuel pumping or fuel pressure. Suggestions please

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see you are a first time poster and so am I. My first gut reaction to seeing this is that, as your timing belt is around 100,000 miles old, and considering that it is a whole bank of cylinders suddenly going out of compression in one quick instant, it strikes me as being a timing issue. While 2UZFE timing belts don’t seem to be at immediate risk of problems outside of the maintenance interval (I’ve seen many posters here get away with 100, 110, 120k miles or more on a timing belt), you -have- entered the territory where Toyota would recommend a belt replacement. As this is a DOHC engine I suppose it’s possible for the belt to have skipped a tooth on one head and not the other.

Could also be a head gasket but it doesn’t seem like it would just quit with no warning signs, but I could definitely be wrong and I’d like to know what others think.

However, I’m not a trained mechanic! Take this opinion as speculation please. And if you are not mechanically inclined enough to tackle it yourself, a timing belt service on this truck is the better part of a grand, so I’d definitely recommend looking into cheaper options first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
jrboo is correct. There is a 95% chance that your timing belt Jumped. Hopefully, no valves were damaged. Put a new belt on and check compression before you put everything back together. If compression is ok GREAT! if not you will have to pull the head and repair the damaged valves. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts