Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MotorTrend - April 2007 - page 94:
"...they wrestled with traction-control nannies that effectively corralled most of the 381 horses from the new, top-range 5.7-liter Toyota V-8. Put simply, the 5.7 makes so much power, we couldn't get a clean run down the quarter mile (even with the traction control switched off, the electronic nanny still jumped in to keep things in order). Our test crew felt there was more to be had, so they switched the Tundra's 4x4 system to four-wheel high range to disconnect the power-robbing electronics, and with all four wheels locked in unison the 0-to-60 number improved about eight percent." (MT results = 6.0 seconds)

Toyota.com:
Tundra has the "Star Safety System = Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist"

my question: is it really impossible to turn off VSC & TRAC in 4x2??? i'm hoping MT just didn't read the manual correctly. new owners please chime in!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
my question: is it really impossible to turn off VSC & TRAC in 4x2??? i'm hoping MT just didn't read the manual correctly. new owners please chime in!!!
I dont think they were doing it right. If you hold down the VSC off button for about 3-4 seconds ("VSC OFF" and TRAC OFF" lights should appear in your tach)that is supposed to completely turn it off. If they only pressed the button without holding it, TRAC is turned off but the auto LSD is turned on and VSC is still on as well. That is my understanding of the system. In fact, the first thing I do everytime I start my truck is turn off the VSC and TRAC systems. I dont care for the way it drives with them enabled. Now when winter returns, I may use them, but for regular driving, I prefer to controll the truck myself!!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The VSC has me confused a little. If I'm pulling a boat out of a steep slippery ramp do I turn it off or leave it alone?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
The VSC has me confused a little. If I'm pulling a boat out of a steep slippery ramp do I turn it off or leave it alone?

Thanks
If you have a 2WD then press the button once to turn off TRAC (which cuts engine power) and that wil engage the ALSD. If you have 4WD the just shift into 4hi.
Radicalwillie explained exactly which systems are tunrned on and off depending on if you hit the button once or press and hold it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I dont think they were doing it right. If you hold down the VSC off button for about 3-4 seconds ("VSC OFF" and TRAC OFF" lights should appear in your tach)that is supposed to completely turn it off. If they only pressed the button without holding it, TRAC is turned off but the auto LSD is turned on and VSC is still on as well. That is my understanding of the system. In fact, the first thing I do everytime I start my truck is turn off the VSC and TRAC systems. I dont care for the way it drives with them enabled. Now when winter returns, I may use them, but for regular driving, I prefer to controll the truck myself!!
You might change your view in the VSC usefulness if you get in a low traction/stability situation like I did last Monday. IF I had only ABS I would have either hit a car in front of me or gone sideways in a ditch...it works!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't seem to deactivate the system completely on my 2WD. It's rather lame to have the truck shut down when trying to do an off the line pass.......

I keep telling myself to switch cars, but I still wanna know what this thing can do without some computer limiting it...........

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I can't understand why anyone would want to disable the LSD. I can understand the rest because it kills power and drives weird but why disable one of the things that is standard on this truck that every other truck out there wishes they had standard? LSD = good.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It's an electronic controlled LSD which is only active when the traction control is turned off.

Jim
Just pushing the button turns of traction control which also activates the LSD but holding down the button activates both, right? So, this means that holding down the button would also disable the LSD... why would anyone want to do that?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just pushing the button turns of traction control which also activates the LSD but holding down the button activates both, right? So, this means that holding down the button would also disable the LSD... why would anyone want to do that?
I certainly don't claim to be a mechanic or a mechanical engineer but my understanding is that the only time the LSD is operational is when the driver depresses the VSC OFF button once which turns the traction controll off and turns the auto LSD on. Auto LSD is NOT active by default. If it were, your rear end would tend to act like a positraction which is not very safe when cornering, to say nothing of the extra wear and tear on the tires.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I certainly don't claim to be a mechanic or a mechanical engineer but my understanding is that the only time the LSD is operational is when the driver depresses the VSC OFF button once which turns the traction controll off and turns the auto LSD on. Auto LSD is NOT active by default. If it were, your rear end would tend to act like a positraction which is not very safe when cornering, to say nothing of the extra wear and tear on the tires.
LSD allows the inside tires to turn slower than the outside tires when cornering yet won't let one wheel spin freely in straight lines for better application of power. That's why LSDs are so good. They don't skip when cornering like solid gears would yet don't allow for one wheel to lose traction and spin freely while the other one gets no power. I'm still not sure I understand why anyone would want to disable this feature.

·
Registered
251 Posts
LSD allows the inside tires to turn slower than the outside tires when cornering yet won't let one wheel spin freely in straight lines for better application of power. That's why LSDs are so good. They don't skip when cornering like solid gears would yet don't allow for one wheel to lose traction and spin freely while the other one gets no power. I'm still not sure I understand why anyone would want to disable this feature.
Not trying to split hairs with ya here, but the system by default is disabled. Manual clearly states that the only time you should activate the Auto LSD, is when you are stuck or are pulling something up a slippery slope such as pulling a boat up a boat ramp. It also states that it is not safe to continuously drive the vehicle with the Auto LSD enabled. Again, not trying to argue with you, but that is what the operators manual says.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
So let me get this straight; If you hold down the TC Off button (below the guages to the right) in a 4x4 Tundra in 2WD if will completely shut off all of the electronics, even the Auto LSD? What's the difference between pressing it once and holding it down in 2WD? Thanks...

·
Registered
251 Posts
So let me get this straight; If you hold down the TC Off button (below the guages to the right) in a 4x4 Tundra in 2WD if will completely shut off all of the electronics, even the Auto LSD? What's the difference between pressing it once and holding it down in 2WD? Thanks...
Pressing it once briefly will turn off the "Traction Controll" and engage the "Auto LSD". "Vehicle Stability Controll" is still active in this mode. You will notice the "car with squigley lines below it" light will iluminate in your Tach and the "Auto LSD" light will illuminate in the oil pressure guage.

Pressing and holding the button for 3-4 seconds will turn off the Traction Controll, it will turn off the Vehicle Stability Controll and will also deactivate the Auto LSD. You will notice the "Auto LSD" light will go out, the "car with squigley lines below it" will illuminate and "VSC OFF" will illuminate.

In my opinion, the manual does not do a very good job of explaining the differences between the Traction Controll and Vehicle Stability Controll. I also don't feel that it describes this whole process of turning them on and off adequtely. If someone out there can better describe these systems, by all means, jump right in.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Pressing it once briefly will turn off the "Traction Controll" and engage the "Auto LSD". "Vehicle Stability Controll" is still active in this mode. You will notice the "car with squigley lines below it" light will iluminate in your Tach and the "Auto LSD" light will illuminate in the oil pressure guage.

Pressing and holding the button for 3-4 seconds will turn off the Traction Controll, it will turn off the Vehicle Stability Controll and will also deactivate the Auto LSD. You will notice the "Auto LSD" light will go out, the "car with squigley lines below it" will illuminate and "VSC OFF" will illuminate.

In my opinion, the manual does not do a very good job of explaining the differences between the Traction Controll and Vehicle Stability Controll. I also don't feel that it describes this whole process of turning them on and off adequtely. If someone out there can better describe these systems, by all means, jump right in.
That answered my question, Thanks!!:D :tu:

I think I can answer your question about the stability vs. traction control. Traction control monitors wheelspin during acceleration and applies one or more brakes to the spinning wheel(s) to improve traction and reduce wheelspin. VSC monitors the vehicle dynamics and if oversteer (fishtail) or understeer (plowing) are sensed it applies one or more brakes to counteract the undesired vehicle motion. Steering wheel angle is a big input for VSC. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
So if you are doing mild off roading in a 2WD, it would seem you want to turn off VSC and TRAC but leave the LSD on. Is that possible? :confused:
/Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Getting a little on topic, I don't understand how a big company like "Motor Trend" would somehow miss the intuitive nature of holding down the VSC button for a little longer.

When we had a mild snowfall, I already had my tundra for a week and broken in. I turned off all the traction gadgets, and fooled around with 2WD in the snow. Let me tell you guys, there is no interference at all from the electronics no matter how sideways or how fast you go. The truck handled very good for its size. Drifting it was a charm .... so much torque. Streering is quick, and directional control is awesome.

Car and Driver rated Tundra 3rd in a comparison test (Titan got 2nd and Silverado got 1st). They've also missed the fact that you can turn off completely traction control. Also the fact that they were testing a Tundra with the TRD package (also confuses me because the model was a Limited, but for some reason had the TRD package with 18" wheels, and different spring rates) is not a fair comparison. IMO the test was rigged. They only got .67g on the skidpad from the Tundra because "stability control" interferred. Same goes for the lane change manuver. Complete BS if you ask me.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Getting a little on topic, I don't understand how a big company like "Motor Trend" would somehow miss the intuitive nature of holding down the VSC button for a little longer.

When we had a mild snowfall, I already had my tundra for a week and broken in. I turned off all the traction gadgets, and fooled around with 2WD in the snow. Let me tell you guys, there is no interference at all from the electronics no matter how sideways or how fast you go. The truck handled very good for its size. Drifting it was a charm .... so much torque. Streering is quick, and directional control is awesome.

Car and Driver rated Tundra 3rd in a comparison test (Titan got 2nd and Silverado got 1st). They've also missed the fact that you can turn off completely traction control. Also the fact that they were testing a Tundra with the TRD package (also confuses me because the model was a Limited, but for some reason had the TRD package with 18" wheels, and different spring rates) is not a fair comparison. IMO the test was rigged. They only got .67g on the skidpad from the Tundra because "stability control" interferred. Same goes for the lane change manuver. Complete BS if you ask me.
Not to mention the better handling that the 20" wheel and tire package would contribute which would really help the lane change numbers...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts