Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right after starting my 04 Tundra, I hear a squealing, whirring sound similar to when turning wheels sharply. So I'm thinking maybe it's the power steering. Right after the initial sound, it clicks and I don't hear it again until the next time I start up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hear the same on my 06. Do you by chance have the VSC package on yours. I do and one post in this site told me it was probably the VSC accumulator charging itself up. This may not be the case but update me if you get any more info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am 99% sure I don't have VSC. It's an '04 and I don't think it was available that year. It's kind of like a pump noise and then a slight click. Somebody else had to have experienced this. My gut tells me it's something with power steering or brakes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a similar noise after I start my truck. '06 tundra DC. The noise comes from behind the dash and sounds like a pneumatic release or similar, like a "phing" noise. Happens every time I start the engine and just start to drive off. Sound familar to anyone. Is this normal. There is a note in the owners manual about a motor noise just after starting or driving off refering to the ABS system.

Just got the truck and I love it so far. My first Toyota. I'm sold so far.

Look forward to posting lots.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I have a similar noise after I start my truck. '06 tundra DC. The noise comes from behind the dash and sounds like a pneumatic release or similar, like a "phing" noise. Happens every time I start the engine and just start to drive off. Sound familar to anyone. Is this normal. There is a note in the owners manual about a motor noise just after starting or driving off refering to the ABS system.

Just got the truck and I love it so far. My first Toyota. I'm sold so far.

Look forward to posting lots.
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure the noise you guys are talking about is the ABS system priming. Carbon can purging usually happens shortly before that. You'll feel this when the truck idles a tiny bit rough upon restart when the engine is warmed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts