Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Noise under front end.

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  laynlow 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Platinum with 1200 miles on her. We were coming home the other night down a rural un-paved road and heard a rattle under the front end, sounds like something is loose, but cannot figure out what it could possibly be. Our Lexus GX470 made a similar noise when the oil chnage shop didn't tighten the skid plate properly. Taking it into the dealer this week to see what they can find. This should be fun. . . .

#2 ·
I know you mentioned that you "cannot figure out what it could possibly be"....and I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but did you actually get under there and take a look, or feel around?...or just take it to the dealer?

The things that immediately come to mind are; loose skid plate (as you mentioned), loose sway bar, loose shock absorber, loose/missing exhaust hanger, loose/faulty engine mount. Can you describe it in more detail? Does it only rattle when going over bumps?...only on acceleration/deceleration?....only when turning left/right?

Cheers, TJ

#3 ·
You know what, occasionally if I make the right combination of turning and then straightening while/before going over a bump I'll hear a clunk coming from the front my 2010 double cab that I've only had for 3 weeks. It hasn't happened often enough to where I can reproduce it, neither have I had a chance to get under there and look yet, but I thought I might chime in a subscribe to this thread. Keep us posted!

#4 ·
I did not crawl under and take a look as of yet. The dealer is a couple of miles from our house and my thought was, for $50K plus, I think I'll let them do it. The dealership has great coffee and a large media room for their customers to hang out, no worries.

I have only heard it when hitting bumps while going straight while at 10 mph, haven't tried it making a turn.

It sounds like our Lexus GX470 when the skid plate was not tightened down properly. Even if this were the problem, I would not attempt to tighten it myself, just in case it was cross threaded, etc; during the replacement.

Thanks for your tips!

I know you mentioned that you "cannot figure out what it could possibly be"....and I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but did you actually get under there and take a look, or feel around?...or just take it to the dealer?

The things that immediately come to mind are; loose skid plate (as you mentioned), loose sway bar, loose shock absorber, loose/missing exhaust hanger, loose/faulty engine mount. Can you describe it in more detail? Does it only rattle when going over bumps?...only on acceleration/deceleration?....only when turning left/right?

Cheers, TJ

#8 ·
No negetive meaning taken, all is good!

The dealership told me that the front grill brace/hardware was loose. Didn't sound like that, we'll see.

Cool. I didn't mean to imply that I was somehow faulting you for taking it the dealer. I'd do the same with a new vehicle. Do let us know what the outcome is. Meanwhile, the following post may be of some interest;

Noises and clunks simplified

Cheers, TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.