Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!Is a 2000Tundra limited; I hear some booooo noise at around45mph and then stops and comes back at about 85mph,I checked my wheels side to side for movement but everything seems normal,its hard to figure where is it coming from and happens the most on neutral trottle at those speeds,any ideas?I changed the rear differential oil and did not help,also it does not matter if I'm on 2 or 4wheels drive

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope you aren't driving in 4wd on the street, you shouldn't. Give us some info, what kind of tires are you sitting on? What has been done to your truck? Would you guess the noise is coming from your engine bay or more towards the rear end? What kind of diff do you have and if you have lsd did you use any additives for it? There are too many possibilities to give you a helpful answer without some of this info, until then you will more likely get dumb answers like:
"Your truck is saying BOOOOOO! I WANT HEADERS!!!!!!":heh:
Give us some details and we will try to help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
truck is all stock,noise its not coming from the engine,at first I was almost positive its coming from the rear differential or wheels since I hear it most when getting off the throttle(but it could be coming from the front as well its hard to tell),I changed the rear differential oil,I lubed the drive shaft(it wasn't done for long time ),I'm on michellin AT2,truck has 120,000miles,and no I don't drive on 4wd

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Ok, it could be the diff making noise, mine does constantly and has for some time. Those are pretty cool tires, never knew about those. Could be them too, my tires make different humming noises at certain speeds and it is most noticeable when slowing down because the sound of my exhaust gets muted when I'm off throttle.
Have you had these tires long? Has this noise been only recent or has it been there for a while?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the tires are the best I ever had!I thought the bridgestones revo were great but they not even close to michellins,they make my truck handle like a champ :),I'm pretty sure the noise does not come from tires,I had an issue with my front wheel bearing on the lexusGX470 and its this kind of noise but in lexus case it was front right wheel and I could tell right away,with my truck I can't tell where is coming from but very similar noise,my first impression was that it was coming from the rear,I have tires for about a year and the noise is recent and getting louder....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking under my truck today I found this...
Is this normal?can this be related to the noise I'm hearing?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After the snow days I noticed that having full bed of snow the noise is bearly noticeable and I can only hear it while on the throttle opposite to the past when mostly noticeable while coasting,Its a worn bearing kind of noise,any ideas?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Jack up the rear end and spin the wheels by hand. They should spin smoothly with no noise. If its a bearing you should be able to tell if the noise is at the wheel bearings or in the diff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did it already everything spin nice and smooth...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK problem solved!!!
..... what a release....I bought OEM center support bearing(over200$) and got ready to replace it,got the drive shaft out and started to inspect closely the whole thing,I moved all the u joints around and noticed that one of them was not as smooth as the others (the one by rear axle)and right away new that was the issue,when the shaft was on the truck I couldn't feel anything but as soon as it was out I could tell right away....called 10 or more dealerships an nobody have had them in stock(of course they have nothing these days)and I had to wait till tuesday to get it,and then got the idea to call napa and to my disbielive they had it...of course I preffer oem parts but needed the truck ready for monday so I went with it($20 vs OEM70$)I was kind of ok with it since the reason for failer was lack of greasing the shaft for long period of time(totally my fault since I didn't know about it).Getting the u joint out was a nightmare without the proper press but after 2hrs fight I got them out....installing it was a piece of cake on the other hand...
Since I got the center bearing I changed it as well,went for a test drive and whoooooohhhhooooo! noise is gone....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts