Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At low speed, I can hear the ventilation fan ticking, like the bearings are going out. It's been doing this for a while - a few weeks. It's also possible something is caught in the fan. How hard is it to access the fan and clear any debris? If it is the bearings, I guess I'll take her in and have it replaced. I'll also try to get them to replace the driver's side seatbelt retractor that stopped "retracting" a long time ago. I've been trying to avoid using the platinum extended warranty because I'd like to get the money back at end of term, however, the coverage is good until 2010 and I'm sure I'll get some use out of it. I paid enough for it in Dec of 2003 when I bought the truck. I think I paid about $2,000 for the extended warranty, but I'll check and post the actual price.

Thoughts from anyone about checking on the fan myself?

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
At low speed, I can hear the ventilation fan ticking, like the bearings are going out. It's been doing this for a while - a few weeks. It's also possible something is caught in the fan. How hard is it to access the fan and clear any debris? If it is the bearings, I guess I'll take her in and have it replaced. I'll also try to get them to replace the driver's side seatbelt retractor that stopped "retracting" a long time ago. I've been trying to avoid using the platinum extended warranty because I'd like to get the money back at end of term, however, the coverage is good until 2010 and I'm sure I'll get some use out of it. I paid enough for it in Dec of 2003 when I bought the truck. I think I paid about $2,000 for the extended warranty, but I'll check and post the actual price.

Thoughts from anyone about checking on the fan myself?
Get the truck into the dealer. You paid for that warranty. Use it.
If you can't bring yourself to do that that, check out these pics: (Thanks Picasso)
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/21212
And then go in there and pull the motor out, clean the fan and lube the motor.
That may help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HiSpeed. Doesn't look all that difficult. Perhaps I'll take a looksie first before I take it in.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Take a look at service bulletin AC006-005. I got a new fan from the dealer and did the swap myself in the parking lot. Took all of 5 minutes. Problem solved. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been trying to avoid using the platinum extended warranty because I'd like to get the money back at end of term,

^ what' that all about????

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Got the number wrong: AC006-05 :rolleyes: It covers ’04 – ’05 Sequoia, Sienna, & Tundra D-Cab. Hispeed's pictures are dead on. :tu: I tried disassembling mine first, but chickened out trying to get the cage off the shaft. :eek: That's when I went searching, and found the service bulletin. :D I see you have an Access Cab, so I don't know if this will help you. Give the disassembly a shot.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I've been trying to avoid using the platinum extended warranty because I'd like to get the money back at end of term,

^ what' that all about????
I'm curious too. What IS that all about?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Platinum warranty stipulates that if you do not use it in the term it was purchased for, you get the money back. It's on the contract. I just bought the same warranty on my wife's 07 V8 4Runner. Hopefully won't have to use it and can get the money back on that one too. It was more expensive than the Tundra was. I think it ran about $2,800.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Platinum warranty stipulates that if you do not use it in the term it was purchased for, you get the money back. It's on the contract. I just bought the same warranty on my wife's 07 V8 4Runner. Hopefully won't have to use it and can get the money back on that one too. It was more expensive than the Tundra was. I think it ran about $2,800.
So as i understand it, you're loaning Toyota $2800 if you don't use the warranty. If you do use it, do they keep the entire $2800?
Does the original warranty still apply? Or is it voided when you get the platinum?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts