Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a LOT of back and forth about what to do about fuel economy with my tundra. I'm a former Honda Accord owner, and will desperately miss the 32mpg that I used to get, but of course I've moved on to bigger, more expensive, and more capable things...

Some say there are very very few things you can do to improve gas milage; These are limited to driving like an old man, doing req'd maintenance, tire pressure, etc....

Some say adding simple bolt on's like headers, a cold air intake, exhaust, etc...will do the trick, and then a hoard of people shout back that dyno testing disproves any major gains within that realm...

Some say major overhauls of the electrical programing/crazy **** that I will never understand is the only way to get the best fuel economy out of your tundra....

Without telling me to "do a search" (because I have, and such measures have yielded nothing but here-say and rumor at best), I'd like a few members to give their personal experience on the aforementioned methods that people would use to gain some MPG.

I FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT I NOW OWN A TRUCK THAT WILL NEVER GET 32MPG...Just looking for ways to stretch this system as far as possible.

Thanks!:boink:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Keep your engine in tune and use conservative driving habits. That is the best way to optimize mpg.

Or you can spend a good deal of money on performance mods and see very negligible returns on your investments.

I once owned a 1982 Ford 2X4 XLT PU V8 with a 4 barrel Holley, that got 12-13 mpg on it's best days. I am delighted with 17-18 mpg with my bigger, more powerful 4X4 DC.

·
Registered
756 Posts
05 Dc 4x4 TRD 13.5 mpg is all I've ever seen, well actually less when I'm towing. 280-290 miles and the light is on. I've tried to do the nothing over 2000 rpm's and I just can't drive like that around here. I'll end up causing an accident. It didn't matter anyway, light was still on before 300. They get what they get and that's all there is to it. That's been my 5 years worth of experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my 06 DC w/ 86k on it regularly sees about 350 miles before the light comes on..it is possible you just have to be careful with the skinny pedal. since i got the truck about 5 months ago ive seen a consistant 17 mpg. im 20..im not saying all 20 year olds drive like bats out of h311, im just sayin. i work in the afternoon and have about a 30 min commute to work so riding thru town at 5 pm definately hurts the mpg but then the other half is interstate so its a bit of mixed driving but it is possible to at least see 15 mpg all the time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've seen 19mpg on a few of my tanks with about 85% highway. The truck was stock and now it isn't. Don't want to check now. Toyota knows what they are doing and the system is efficient from factory. Don't mash the gas pedal and don't put cheap fuel in it. I've heard of people using a scanguage to calculate actual mpg while driving. Never used one myself but seems to me if you were to watch it while you drive around you'd learn pretty quick what to do and what not to do to maximize mpg's. Just don't crash in the process.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Look up hypermiling. Changing your habits is the best way to gain mpg. Be realistic about your gains as well. No tundra will get 32mpg unless your driving downhill in a hurricane in neutral. When I make an effort, I can get 19mpg highway in the gen 2 5.7 DC 4x4. Right now combined is 17.8. Which is very good for this truck. Good luck on squeezing more mileage out of your truck.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Keep your truck stock. Keep the engine properly tuned and the tires properly inflated. Stick to the speed limit and use your cruise control whenever safely possible to keep your engine speed constant.

Good driving habits will do more to improve your mileage than anything else. You could spend hundreds of dollars on headers, intakes, etc. but if they do improve your mileage, the savings in gas will probably never recoup the cost of the mods.

·
Banned
444 Posts
I get about 11 MPG 7MPg when towing, and I wouldn't have it any-other way. I bought my truck with performance, and ability in mind. Not fuel, If i wanted fuel, I would have got a Tacoma, and ford ranger.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi sorry there is no fix. no matter what anyone says.
keep it stock, keep oil clean, keep it tuned, clean air filter.
and stock air box.
you will be somewhere in between all of us. from 13 to 24mpg.
most are around 15 to 16 city & 17 & 19highway.
mods are a waste for you. you will not gain a thing. belive me. i know.
keep tire tires right.35psi's. and it depends on your tire size & rim size.
all these will factor into mileage.
oh yah, keep the rpm's at 2000 or under.
i tried that for 1day. i couldn't take it. i like it at 5400.
thats it
gorilla

·
Registered
918 Posts
+ 1 for keeping it stock. Big wheels and tires or a lift are no-no even though plenty of people do it and then complain about mileage. Every dollar you spend on fuel-economy related modifications is an extra dollar you have to save in fuel economy improvements before you can actually do better than breaking even in the long run. Sure, go ahead, spend the 700 bucks on a tonneau, 150 on an intake, 600 on exhausts, etc...

And realize so many factors go into it that results vary and real world 'apples to apples' improvements may not be more than a couple mpg for all that. Could be a couple years before the mods even pay for themselves. You can't really do an acurate real world analysis unless you get a baseline, do each new mod, then test it out driving the same route, with the exact same throttle application under the exact same weather conditions, with the exact same amount of excess weight in the truck, as you did to get the baseline figures.

Driving conservatively costs you nothing. Unfortunately most people hate to do it or don't understand that even 70 mph vs. 65 can be a big difference. You will not get anything in this thread that you won't have found in a search. Opening a new thread on a topic that has been discussed 10,000 times here will not help you find some guarenteed magic bullet that will get you a consistent 4 mpg improvement.

My personal best on my 09 Crewmax 5.7 4x4 is 18.7 with no heavy throttle on an extended road trip with the cruise on. I was mostly between 60 and 65, sometimes down to 55, on roads where speeds average 70 mph and above. Rarely dipped into the go-pedal too hard and timed my merges carefully rather than mashing the throttle every time. Most owners just don't want to do that but still want to have their cake and eat it too. Me, I try it once every time I get a new truck just to see what it can do mileage wise then go back to my normal habits. I rarely calculate mileage unless there is some other drivability issue that indicates there may be a problem. My motto is if I care that much I probably should be driving something different.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
best tank was 315 miles and there was still 3 gallons when filled to the cap. when south of the border you gotta go until the light comes on most times and fill it till it drowns. usually 14.5 is a good expectation....

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
05 Dc 4x4 TRD 13.5 mpg is all I've ever seen, well actually less when I'm towing. 280-290 miles and the light is on. I've tried to do the nothing over 2000 rpm's and I just can't drive like that around here. I'll end up causing an accident. It didn't matter anyway, light was still on before 300. They get what they get and that's all there is to it. That's been my 5 years worth of experience.
06 4x4 DC Sr5. 13.8-15mpg city The only highway driving is when I am towing and then I get 12-13.5

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
good synthetic fluids front, rear, tranny, and engine has been proven to improve mpg. less friction = less heat and a more power making to the ground = less power to make the truck move. using a highway/street tire and keeping it a little over inflated will also help some. index fresh plugs, keep the air filter-maf-tb clean, and go easy on the trottle.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Reduce rolling friction to a minimum, don't carry unnecessary weight and drive conservatively plus keep your maintainance current. I've always recommended synthetic fluids in the past but that really didn't make any difference for me although I use them. I chart every tank on a spreadsheet and my lifetime mpg for this truck is 15.73 mpg.

·
Registered
655 Posts
use your gear selector,that will help keep your RPMs down,shift it manualy before the truck shifts it for you,that will help a LITTLE bit,but not much,welcome to the 5.7 world!

·
Registered
232 Posts
In my AC I usually get 12-13 in the city no matter how i drive. And on the highway I kept it around or below 65mph and pulled off 20 mpg once.
The only time I broke 20mpg was cruising at 58. I bet that I could get 21-23 if I set the cruise at 55 or even 52, as the RPM's would be ~1,400.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts