Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was actually looking for a Tacoma for several months, but a 2005 double cab Tundra popped up on Craigslist and was too cheap to pass up. Turns out I actually like this thing better, and now I want it to last.
Here's the deal; it's at 175,000 miles, and the engine and transmission are great, but the truck was from Maine originally, and the body and bottom of the truck are rusty. It's got the new frame from the recall, and that looks good, and the rear diff was swapped recently, so that's also in better shape. The body has cosmetic issues, and there's heavy surface rust on everything else in the drivetrain. I'm currently wondering what I can do to prevent further rusting and wear, especially given that I don't know the maintenance history. Ideally I'd like to just fix it when it breaks, but if I can prevent expensive issues before they happen, and running it into an early grave, I'll do whatever's needed.
Currently, I'm going to get an alignment since that hasn't been done since the rear diff swap, and I'm thinking about full fluid swaps (engine oil, front and rear diff, transfer case, maybe the coolant, ATF, brakes and power steering). I'll probably do some other engine stuff like plugs and wires too. Given the rust, should I consider preparing to need replacing any suspension or exhaust stuff? What else is there to consider? How much is overkill here? Also, I'm new to the Tundra forums, so where can I find the maintenance/repair manuals, or some other source for that stuff?

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I was actually looking for a Tacoma for several months, but a 2005 double cab Tundra popped up on Craigslist and was too cheap to pass up. Turns out I actually like this thing better, and now I want it to last.
Here's the deal; it's at 175,000 miles, and the engine and transmission are great, but the truck was from Maine originally, and the body and bottom of the truck are rusty. It's got the new frame from the recall, and that looks good, and the rear diff was swapped recently, so that's also in better shape. The body has cosmetic issues, and there's heavy surface rust on everything else in the drivetrain. I'm currently wondering what I can do to prevent further rusting and wear, especially given that I don't know the maintenance history. Ideally I'd like to just fix it when it breaks, but if I can prevent expensive issues before they happen, and running it into an early grave, I'll do whatever's needed.
Currently, I'm going to get an alignment since that hasn't been done since the rear diff swap, and I'm thinking about full fluid swaps (engine oil, front and rear diff, transfer case, maybe the coolant, ATF, brakes and power steering). I'll probably do some other engine stuff like plugs and wires too. Given the rust, should I consider preparing to need replacing any suspension or exhaust stuff? What else is there to consider? How much is overkill here? Also, I'm new to the Tundra forums, so where can I find the maintenance/repair manuals, or some other source for that stuff?
You can search the forum for the manuals and download them.
I have no idea how to prevent rust since I'm in Arizona.
Maybe search for how to do that? Good luck.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Yes, absolutely you should rust proof it. Get underneath it with a pressure washer and spray the shit out of it first, then coat it with any good rust inhibitor like Por 15, CRC etc. Any good auto parts store local to you should carry different types. Anything that you can spray on liberally would be best. Or take it somewhere and get it done. Either way you wont reverse any rust already there but you will significantly slow the spread. Plus it will make it easier to do work on your truck later as the spray soaks in. Getting rusty nuts and bolts loose is a pain in the ass if they arent lubed up first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts