Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I had the typical "one click" when I tried to start the truck, so I went and got starter contacts for it and replaced them. I was kind of suspect that it wasn't the contacts, because when I took it apart, the contacts still had a good amount of beef left on them, and wasn't thin. I replaced them anyways, but now I still have that intermittent "one click no start problem. I swapped the starter relay with the one in my friends Tundra, and it fired up, but when I turned off the truck and tried to restart it again, I got the same "one click no start". Any Ideas what else it could be? I noticed the battery was weak, but it could have been from trying to start the truck so much. I'm thinking maybe the solenoid?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, it might be the battery going bad.
or the cables( POS./NEG.)either loose, degrading, or terminals.
since you changed a few things.
i'd hate for it to be the flywheel.
meaning 1 or 2 teeth are worn or broke.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
It is possible that it could be the starter itself. Your truck is 10 years old! I'd check the battery, cables and connections first. It's common for a starter to do the 1 click bit if it's not getting enough juice. It wouldn't be flywheel teeth, or the starter would spin without turning the engine over.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced the starter with a reman, and replaced the battery. Good as new now. When I took out the old starter I noticed it has an internal rattle. That battery was also super weak and I put a new one of those in also.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Glad you got it worked out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Toyota engineers should be shot for the starter placement...Just my .02. Nice job figuring it out. Too bad it came to that though. What a PIA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts