Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Forum Admin
8,246 Posts
Re: O2 Sensor -- OEM of Aftermarket?

The price difference is negligible and there are no performance gains in using aftermarket sensors. The choice is obvious in my opinion, and when the time comes I'll be using direct replacement OEM sensors.

·
Registered
245 Posts

I have put in several bosch oxygen sensor only to not be able to reset the check engine light. With denso no problems at all. Go with OE, not the "OE type"

·
Registered
170 Posts

100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000% DENSO

Amazon shipped to my front doorstep was $110.98, but that was for both front sensors. Rear sensors may be different price. Remember, replace both sides!!!!!!!!!

Install was easier than changing oil.. make sure to spray some PB blaster about 10-20 min. before install depending on how corroded everything is.. mine was sexy!

Also, buy a O2 sensor socket..

·
Registered
160 Posts

I have put in several bosch oxygen sensor only to not be able to reset the check engine light. With denso no problems at all. Go with OE, not the "OE type"

I put two Bosch o2 sensors in my 02 Tundra and after a few days the check engine light went off. Everything has been good so far with them (knock on wood)...

·
Registered
170 Posts

I put two Bosch o2 sensors in my 02 Tundra and after a few days the check engine light went off. Everything has been good so far with them (knock on wood)...
After a few days? It should have gone off when you started the truck.. assuming you disconnected the battery.

Also, why put German parts in a Japanese Truck? When you changed your old O2 sensors what brand were they? I'm going to bet they were DENSO. Why change??

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts

Folks, the operating voltage parameters of the Bosch sensors are not aligned with the Toyota ECU. Even though you might have some time period where the data remains with the voltage specs, you will start to have CELs thrown when the units report back numbers outside ECU-acceptable ranges, and it can happen at any time.

Do yourself a favor and save yourself time and $$$ by listening to the advice of members when they adamantly notify you that Bosch components are not meant for our vehicles.

·
Registered
160 Posts

After a few days? It should have gone off when you started the truck.. assuming you disconnected the battery.

Also, why put German parts in a Japanese Truck? When you changed your old O2 sensors what brand were they? I'm going to bet they were DENSO. Why change??
Yes, after a few days. Did not disconnect the battery because I have read that it is better for the CPU that it resets itself. Said it would take 5 to 7 drives or so and it did reset on its own.

Why did I put Bosch's on? Because that is what the auto part store carried. I hadn't been a member of this site that long and hadn't seen people having issues with Bosch's before I bought them and put them on.
So far they have worked. I'm hoping that I don't have any problems with them.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Well you are lucky then. We have put 2 sets of bosch ones in 2 different civic with bad factory sensors. We have the Honda scantool($4000 piece of shop equiptment lol, but we gotta be able to program keys and airbags and junk.) and were not able to reset them. One lady drove almost a year on it and then decided that she wanted to replace the ecu on the car to get rid of the light. Well we ordered a $700 ecu for her. And I ordered a brand new denso O2 sensor. Replaced the sensor first and light cleared no problems with it coming back on and she has drove it over a month now. My shop will no longer use bosch sensor because of that many bad ones in a row. I can also buy the denso sensor for about 10-15 dollars more than the bosch and not have to do it 2 or 3 times to try to get one that will work properly.

·
Registered
917 Posts

People when doing any work on the electrical system disconnect the battery. This should go without mention.

·
Registered
230 Posts

So, if Denso's are so good why have mine failed twice? I have 44k on my truck! I am on my third set of 02's made by Denso next set I guarantee you won't be Denso's. Why does Toyota have a zillion problems through out the lineup with Denso sensors? I'm not advocating Bosch - either.
But before anyone jumps on Bosch I replaced my two Celicas with Bosch 02's , not one issue. Two different yr cars too. 94-92. I'd say a good 150 k more mileage on both cars after the sensors swaps.

I'm not sure we can cast a wide net on any sensors for this truck seeing they all seem to fail in some trucks early.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,301 Posts

The price difference is negligible and there are no performance gains in using aftermarket sensors.
The choice is obvious in my opinion, and when the time comes I'll be using direct replacement OEM sensors.
+1 :tu:

·
7,925 Posts

Wow. You will have a CEL within 500 miles. I did the same thing and could not figure out why my CEL kept coming on. Finally someone on this site (the quote directly below) set me right. Have had Denso in the truck for 70,000+ trouble free miles in the 02 department.

Folks, the operating voltage parameters of the Bosch sensors are not aligned with the Toyota ECU. Even though you might have some time period where the data remains with the voltage specs, you will start to have CELs thrown when the units report back numbers outside ECU-acceptable ranges, and it can happen at any time.

Do yourself a favor and save yourself time and $$$ by listening to the advice of members when they adamantly notify you that Bosch components are not meant for our vehicles.
Absolutely correct Remmy. Bosch does not play well with our trucks.

Yes, after a few days. Did not disconnect the battery because I have read that it is better for the CPU that it resets itself. Said it would take 5 to 7 drives or so and it did reset on its own.
Disconnecting the battery is what is known as a "hard reset" and it resets the ECU back to factory (or baseline) parameters. The ECU relearns your driving style faster this way. I typically do a hard reset after any major change (new 02's, new intake, new exhaust, new engine modification, etc. . .) as well as when the weather changes from winter to non-winter. When I disconnect the battery I write down my trip odometer as well as my radio presets and leave the battery disconnected for a few hours.

Why did I put Bosch's on? Because that is what the auto part store carried. I hadn't been a member of this site that long and hadn't seen people having issues with Bosch's before I bought them and put them on.
So far they have worked. I'm hoping that I don't have any problems with them.
Hey we all make mistakes or buy the wrong part becuase we cannot find the right one. As I said above you will have problems. Best to take them out now and take them back. Tell Auto store that they sold you incorrect part as Bosch cannot be used in Toyota. If they refuse go to dealer and get a statement from them. Only Denso or NGK will work in your truck.

So, if Denso's are so good why have mine failed twice? I have 44k on my truck! I am on my third set of 02's made by Denso next set I guarantee you won't be Denso's.
Not sure why your 02 sensors have failed prematurely but it would be my guess that there is something else going on there contributing to their failure. It would be pretty slim odds that you managed to get faulty sensors twice in a row. Remmy is the 02 go to guy here on the Forum and he may be able to help you with that. Odds are if he does not know he can at least point you in the right direction.

Why does Toyota have a zillion problems through out the lineup with Denso sensors?
That seems to be a pretty broad sweeping condemnation. I realize you are frustrated and maybe that is clouding your reasoning but seriously - I have never heard of a first generation truck owner having problems with Denso sensors, ever. I have had my Densos for 70,000+ trouble free miles.

I'm not advocating Bosch - either. But before anyone jumps on Bosch I replaced my two Celicas with Bosch 02's , not one issue. Two different yr cars too. 94-92. I'd say a good 150 k more mileage on both cars after the sensors swaps.

I'm not sure we can cast a wide net on any sensors for this truck seeing they all seem to fail in some trucks early.
Maybe back in the 90's Bosch was okay in some Toyota vehicles but Bosch sure doesn't work in our trucks now. Again, I think there is some other factor contributing to the early demise of your 02 sensors.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Wow. You will have a CEL within 500 miles. I did the same thing and could not figure out why my CEL kept coming on. Finally someone on this site (the quote directly below) set me right. Have had Denso in the truck for 70,000+ trouble free miles in the 02 department.

Absolutely correct Remmy. Bosch does not play well with our trucks.

Disconnecting the battery is what is known as a "hard reset" and it resets the ECU back to factory (or baseline) parameters. The ECU relearns your driving style faster this way. I typically do a hard reset after any major change (new 02's, new intake, new exhaust, new engine modification, etc. . .) as well as when the weather changes from winter to non-winter. When I disconnect the battery I write down my trip odometer as well as my radio presets and leave the battery disconnected for a few hours.

Hey we all make mistakes or buy the wrong part becuase we cannot find the right one. As I said above you will have problems. Best to take them out now and take them back. Tell Auto store that they sold you incorrect part as Bosch cannot be used in Toyota. If they refuse go to dealer and get a statement from them. Only Denso or NGK will work in your truck.

Not sure why your 02 sensors have failed prematurely but it would be my guess that there is something else going on there contributing to their failure. It would be pretty slim odds that you managed to get faulty sensors twice in a row. Remmy is the 02 go to guy here on the Forum and he may be able to help you with that. Odds are if he does not know he can at least point you in the right direction.

That seems to be a pretty broad sweeping condemnation. I realize you are frustrated and maybe that is clouding your reasoning but seriously - I have never heard of a first generation truck owner having problems with Denso sensors, ever. I have had my Densos for 70,000+ trouble free miles.

Maybe back in the 90's Bosch was okay in some Toyota vehicles but Bosch sure doesn't work in our trucks now. Again, I think there is some other factor contributing to the early demise of your 02 sensors.
My truck runs GREAT! Never any codes except the 02 codes. 44k miles. My friends 01 has the same issues two sets of 02 sensors same deal but he has more mileage. (68k) I'm NOT advocating Bosch sensors.
I AM saying Denso OEM sensors aren't all that either. I can only go by my experiences which are many.
My cousin owns a dealership. I asked the mechanic that pulled the codes he is a ASE master Toyota mechanic he said he has no idea why and he also said this isn't the first truck that has the same issues.
They also dropped a 7/100k warranty on them for a GOOD reason. They are in the books as a problem, sorry maybe you never had issues , but loads of people are or have .Hence the extended warranty.
Why extend it if there are no issues. Try all data pull up 02 sensors...and you might find I'm not alone. (facts)

"There was not a recall or TSB issued on this. Toyota issued a " Warranty Enhancement Notice" applicable to 2000 Through Mid-2002 Model Year Toyota Tundra V8 (2UZ-FE Engine). Owner's were notified by letter.

"In recent months, Toyota has received reports of custome concerns regarding the two oxygen sensors located in the exhuast manifolds that monitor exhaust emissions. These oxygen sensors are installed ahead of the catalytic converter and are also known as the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors. To minimize these concers, Toyota will extend the warranty of these oxygen sensors for illumination of Malfunction Indicator Lamp (check engine light) related to any of the following diagnostic codes (as diagnosed by your local Toyota Dealer): PO135 and P0155.

If your check engine light illuminates, please bring your vehicle into your local Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair. Please note that a check engine light can illuminate for unrelated to the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors.

This warranty extension is offered for a total period of 7 years or 90,000 miles from the vehicle's in-service date, whichever occurs first, for the failure of eiher of the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors. The specific components covered by this warranty extension are:
- Number 1 Oxygen Sensor, Bank 1 (left side exhaust manifold)
- Number 1 Oxygen Sensor, Bank 2 (right side exhaust manifold)
This offer is limited to your specfic Tundra whose VIN is provided and is subject to the same conditions set forth in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty section of your Owner's Warranty Information booklet*, with the exception of the extended warranty coverage on the oxygen sensors listed above. Please note that this coverage is for warranty work performed at an authorized Toyota dealer only"

They don't just slap warranty extensions on perfectly good emissions parts.

·
Registered
68 Posts

FYI: Oxygen sensor sockets are available for under $5 at Harbor Freight if needed for your repair. They sell two types of oxygen sensor sockets (cut-away slot and offset) and are of decent quality which is a bit unusual from HF and about a third less than anywhere else.

image_3138.jpg

image_3776.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts