Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check eng light came on today...had it scaned at Auto Zone...Nice group of guys....they are telling me it is...

Bank 2 Sensor 1...which is the right side before the cat, right meaning the pass side..

Are they correct and how hard is it for a diy'er to change...

any help is appricated...

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
They are correct in that Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the passenger side pre-cat sensor,
located in the manifold. If the code they read and what they said it is matches
up is another issue. If you had the code we could verify whether or not it's correct.

Anyway, if you go to the sticky threads section right above this one and click on
the last one (do it yourself and user knowledge I believe) you will find a thread
somewhere under maintenance in regards to changing out the O2 sensors. Follow
that advice, including buying a Denso sensor, and you should be okay...unless
the sensor is seized in the manifold for good. Good luck.

John

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
and they are telling me bosch is factory...

They're full of sh*t or don't know better. Many people have had problems with
Bosch in the Tundras. You can find the OEM sensor, which is a Denso, many
places on the internet at a reasonable price. I got mine on amazon.com but
there are also other sites. Do a search of this site. You'll find lots of info.

John

·
Registered
115 Posts
Access this sensor front the fender well. Rubber flap can be removed by pushing on the clip pins from inside the engine compartment. There is a product called Aero-Kroil. This is the best spray out there for breaking stubborn threads loose. Google it. I think the company still has the "two cans for $12.00 Google special". You'll also need an o2 sensor socket. (Autozone-$10.00) it's slotted to allow for the sensor wires. Spray where the sensor screws in while engine is cold. Crank and let it warm up to operating temp. Spray again. Let it sit until cool. My sensor broke loos very easily with 143,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yhea bosch does make an OE type sensor, its not worth your work to throw it in their dumpster in my opinion, ( i have replaced more than one bosch 2x and not been able to clear the code for a customer. I only use the denso sensor now for sure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
rock auto has best price for Denso sensor. I think its: rockauto.com. $60.00

Amazon also has them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok here is the update....bought the denso at a local shop $74 out the door...went back to auto zone, they lent me the tool for free....the whole job took 45 min...5 to swap the sensor, and 40 to plug the damm harness back in....disconnected the battery, cleaned up the garage and tools...reattched the battery, and viola (sp)...no light and runs smooth...

Thanks again for all of the feedback and advice....you guys rock!!!!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
right on, I changed the same one but my light came back on. I'm wondering if I now have another o2 sensor gone or if I need to check my installation job on the first one.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
right on, I changed the same one but my light came back on. I'm wondering if I now have another o2 sensor gone or if I need to check my installation job on the first one.

If you did replace the one that is setting the code, it will clear itself after a few "driving cycles". If you don't feel like waiting, you can get someone with a scanner to turn off the light. You could also try to disconnect the negative cable for a minute or so. That may clear it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts