Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone in new here just wanted to share and see if it happened to anyone else. I was driving home from work and my 4.7 spat out my manifold drivers side o2 sensor. Just spit it right out. Diagnosed it as a failed gasket and an still replacing it. Trick has 108000 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Hey everyone in new here just wanted to share and see if it happened to anyone else. I was driving home from work and my 4.7 spat out my manifold drivers side o2 sensor. Just spit it right out. Diagnosed it as a failed gasket and an still replacing it. Trick has 108000 miles.
Not sure how a failed gasket would be involved. No gasket save the metal o-ring on the 02 and the manifold 02 sensors are threaded into the header itself. The threads on either the sensor or the manifold 02 bung would have had to have failed in order for it to have been "spat out". Pics?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We couldn't visually see what was wrong with it and assumed it came with the milage. Already bought the gaskets which are a better material in general. Main problem ended up whoever replaced the o2 sensor before the truck was mine put the o2 sensor on wrong. They f'd the threads pretty good on the manifold. Did a budget fix by welding a new nut to the manifold that fit a spare sensor I got with the truck. The threading was too far gone to retap. It did just spit out the sensor after all

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
We couldn't visually see what was wrong with it and assumed it came with the milage. Already bought the gaskets which are a better material in general. Main problem ended up whoever replaced the o2 sensor before the truck was mine put the o2 sensor on wrong. They f'd the threads pretty good on the manifold. Did a budget fix by welding a new nut to the manifold that fit a spare sensor I got with the truck. The threading was too far gone to retap. It did just spit out the sensor after all
The problem with the threads was probably not a botched repair. The old nuts rust away to nothing and then the O2 sensor falls out. The threads on the stud are then full of rust from the vanished nut and the only way to clean the threads is by running a die down the stud.

The studs are replaceable - P/N 90116-08168.

·
Registered
7 Posts
O2 sensor story MUCH later... Bought them on amazon right after I made the last post a few years back. Had a garage put them on recently and no codes for a few days. Get CE light and think the threads were not retapped on removal and need to do that look/see routine myself after I get moved to TX here in about a week. I can reset the codes and it stays off for a few days now...story later(hope soon, not like last time)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts