Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found a scanner that will read our transmission fluid temperatures properly? I’ve done a good bit of searching and it doesn’t seem as though anybody has cracked the code on the 5 spd trans. Ideally, I would like to get a Bluetooth scanner that I could move between vehicles but mostly I’m interested in reading TFT for my 05 Tundra DC and 08 Sequoia (5.7).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Scangauge II, the best IMO. https://www.scangauge.com/ all you do is input the proper code for your truck and it will read the temp just fine. Best choice though just follow the link 2003bajatundra4x4ac suggested. Forgot to mention, make sure the unit you buy from scangauge has the latest firmware, buyt it directly from them and you won't have an issue at all, then input the code that's posted in their website and you are good to go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for replying. I actually have a ScanGuage. I’ve tried all the codes I could find online. I even tried modifying some of the ones that have been reported to work on other Yotas. I will try the codes posted above and report back on whether they work or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in the day, I got the ATF temp to show on my Torque App reading a OBDII BT plug I got off Amazon. Now, these are dirt cheap.

One of our boys has a Samsung. All the rest of the clan are Apple fanbois. I may see if I can get him to put Torque on his phone and see if I can get it to work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a cheap Bluetooth OBD II Dongle and the Torque Pro App on any of my android devices (I have a phone and a double DIN Atoto A6 Android headunit as a stereo) with the following custom PID to get both Pan and Converter Temp. Works great! Not sure why anyone would spend the dough on a scanguage when you can use this setup.

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9
Long Name:
Transmission Fluid Temperature 1
Short Name:
TFT 1
Minimum Value:
Maximum value:
Scale factor:
x1
Unit Type:
°F (there is a degree symbol in Torque)
Equation:
((((E*256)+F) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
OBD Header to use:
left blank

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sensor 2 (Converter outlet temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9
Long Name:
Transmission Fluid Temperature 2
Short Name:
TFT 2
Minimum Value:
Maximum value:
Scale factor:
x1
Unit Type:
Equation:
((((G*256)+H) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
OBD Header to use:
left blank

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a cheap Bluetooth OBD II Dongle and the Torque Pro App on any of my android devices (I have a phone and a double DIN Atoto A6 Android headunit as a stereo) with the following custom PID to get both Pan and Converter Temp. Works great! Not sure why anyone would spend the dough on a scanguage when you can use this setup.

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9
Long Name:
Short Name:
TFT 1
Minimum Value:
Maximum value:
Scale factor:
x1
Unit Type:
Equation:
OBD Header to use:
left blank

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9
Long Name:
Short Name:
TFT 2
Minimum Value:
Maximum value:
Scale factor:
x1
Unit Type:
Equation:
OBD Header to use:
left blank

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

I wish there was something that worked with Apple but I will happily buy a dedicated device to use with the Trucks if I can make this work.

What year is your truck? And do you know what Bluetooth dongle you’re using?

·
Registered
2 Posts

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9
Long Name:
Short Name:
TFT 1
Minimum Value:
Maximum value:
Scale factor:
x1
Unit Type:
Equation:
OBD Header to use:
left blank

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9
Long Name:
Short Name:
TFT 2
Minimum Value:
Maximum value:
Scale factor:
x1
Unit Type:
Equation:
OBD Header to use:
left blank
I tried ObChristo torque pro information to read my 2005 Toyota sequoia transmission pan and converter temps and it worked until I turned the truck off and went to look at it again and it just says -41.8 degrees, it's not working anymore I could use some help

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

I wish there was something that worked with Apple but I will happily buy a dedicated device to use with the Trucks if I can make this work.
OBD Fusion works with apple phones and ipads. I think it was like $10 for the app , and $10 for the Model year specific Toyota pids. I use it with a veepeak ble+. mighta been $40 or so. I don't recall. There may be a newer version. But the ble+ is a lower battery draw than older bluetooth. Works fine for me so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OBD Fusion works with apple phones and ipads. I think it was like $10 for the app , and $10 for the Model year specific Toyota pids. I use it with a veepeak ble+. mighta been $40 or so. I don't recall. There may be a newer version. But the ble+ is a lower battery draw than older bluetooth. Works fine for me so far.
I have OBD Fusion on my phone but did not spring for the model year specific Toyota PIDs yet. I take it you're using this successfully on a 1st gen Tundra?

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes, 2004 4wd. Haven't played with it too much, but it seems to be working fine for about a year so far. I boiught the pids for the trans temp, although I would really love to know torque converter temp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that is good to know. I'll have to buy the upgrade. What kind of temps do you normally see? My coolant temp is pretty rock solid between 185-195 and almost always between 185-187 but I have seen it go much higher when towing my camper up long hills in the summer time. Which is what makes me wonder what the trans temp is reading at the same time to get the radiator temp that high.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Temps are all over the place on the trans pan. Coolant steady and similar to yours. I get some higher variation in the pan (I'm guessing) due to my sw desert location with temps from 10 to 110+ as well as the variation of the factory aux cooler behaving quite different at the ambient 10 - 25 temp range vs 105 - 115 range. I also carry a lot of weight and do frequent mountain passes, tow, etc... so its not as helpful as I would like to only see the pan whicjh can range from 145-200 so far when i've watched it. But it finds a spot 160-185 when my driving/loads are more like average user conditions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts