Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my little Airedale puppy and I thought about training him professionally since he's 20 weeks now.

However, there is an issue.... the Petco/Petsmart classes are typically a waste of money (say the professionals) BUT here are some things with the two trainers I've talked to.

1. Raises and breeds pitbulls but does obedience training. Would meet with him 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks and pay him like $275. However, I would have to drive 70 miles roundtrip to him which would cost me arund $150 in gas.

2. Second guy is real smart and grew up with Airedales. He would keep Goliath for 30 days and let me visit around 2 weeks for a few minutes. His fees are $475. He guarantees his work for lifetime.

I don't wanna spend $500 and I don't want to drive 70 miles round trip. I don't want him to lose his personality with training either.

He's getting to be really smart, knowing sit, shake, lay down and will come just about every time in my apartment. Up at the fraternity house, he will do it if there are only 3-4 folks outside talking.

What do I do? What's the average price for getting a dog trained?

-rockstate

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got my boxer trained for $450 bucks or so. That was a 8 week course, once a week and the trainer came to the house. She did a pretty good job and they have a warrantee with it.

When I was researching trainers, I talked to some people that said the trainers that took your dog and trained them for a month, then handed them back to you wasn't always the best way to go. The dog will be trained, but part of dog training is owner training too, if that makes any sense. I think the best way is to find one that will come to you, where your pup will be in his territory, and you will have the best results.

Try asking the vet if they recommend any trainers, they usually have one they prefer.

Eric

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahahahaha, I tried that with the notebook he kept chewing on.

I have called the vet, he said petsmart/petco.

I also agree with you about training the dog hands on with the trainer. This second guy also has a warranty and will "train" me as well as the dog so the dog will be trained to my voice and my commands.

I will probably see how he settles dwon in the next few weeks. I don't want him to be bland and like a robot though when I get him back. Airedales have personality, which is why I wanted him to begin with instead of a lab.

-rockstate

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
get a decent book on it and train him yourself. I did this with leash training my dogs. I got a good book (can't remember the name) and successfully leash trained Bruno, and Now the westie, and Beulla, my Boxer. You are the best trainer, because if you use your common sense and train, discipline the dog appropriately, your dog will respect you and pay attention to you. The key if for the dog to pay attention to your and your movements, a good way to start this is to do away with verbal commands for now and use hand signals for what you want him to do....IE, say "sit", snap your fingers and point down. Pretty soon, omit the word "sit." Your dog will learn to pay attention to you if you talk to him in sign language while only using sublte sounds like a snap of your finger or clucking your tongue.

Clickers are retarded, because you won't always have one in your pocket. You should always have your hands and mouth though.

Don't buy into 100% positive reinforment training. Positive reinforcement is important when the dog does a good job (avoid treats, and just scratch his ears and tell him he's a good boy or something) and be forceful and appropriately discipline him when he does wrong.

Same thing as our parents did, gave us props when we done good, and spanked us when we crossed the line.

You can do it yourself oh ye of little faith.

·
NO MA'AM
2,244 Posts
We did the Petsmart thing with our Bullmastiff when he was about a year old, after we adopted him. We were reluctant to use a "big box" trainer, but after meeting with the actual trainer, we decided she was better than most. Sadly, Katrina washed her away. Of the 3 Petsmarts in our area, she was the only trainer worth a damn, so I say check into Petsmart/Petco and visit with each trainer. Ask to sit in on a class and just observe (without your dog). If you like it, spend the money close to where you are. If not, find another option. Having gone through the course once, we don't think it's necessary to do it again with future pets. 90% of it is common sense, and - with my dog at least - the classes were playtime for him, and not learning time. The REAL training was at home, with fewer distractions for him, between classes. Keep it short - no more than 5-10 minutes at a time. Otherwise, Woody and the others have great advice as well.

As for sending your dog off for a month, I've only known one person to do that, and that was for retriever training for competitions. Bullmastiffs aren't known for hunting, retrieving, or swimming, so that kind of training wasn't up our alley.

~A

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I too go with doing it yourself. Your dog will bond better with you if you train it. Dogs want to please you and you can pick the commands of your choice. dogs will always challenge you to be top dog. Never let that happen. I make my dog move if she gets into my spot when i get up even if I an not going to sit back down there

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, looks like you guys have the same philosophy as I do.

I agree with woody. Same goes for kids these days. You don't spank 'em and they don't grow up right. Same with dogs, IMO.

Woody, if you do remember it, let me know.

I agree wtih you guys about the common sense. That's in consideration for my hesitation. The dog can sit, shake, and lay down with just hand signals. He's doing better with the sit in public, as well as on a leash or getting ready to go outside.

I really think he's abolutely brilliant at his age and probably the smartest dog we have.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Watch re-runs of the dog whisperer then buy his book, his dvd, his tip cards, and the subscription to his magizine

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Well, looks like you guys have the same philosophy as I do.

I agree with woody. Same goes for kids these days. You don't spank 'em and they don't grow up right. Same with dogs, IMO.

Woody, if you do remember it, let me know.

I agree wtih you guys about the common sense. That's in consideration for my hesitation. The dog can sit, shake, and lay down with just hand signals. He's doing better with the sit in public, as well as on a leash or getting ready to go outside.

I really think he's abolutely brilliant at his age and probably the smartest dog we have.

-rockstate

Here it is, 'the Koehler Method of Dog Training' it is a forceful method, but I have used it to leash train many dogs. I have leash trained very bad dogs in less than 5 minutes by using the methods in here. There are other types of training in here too. Use some common sense, don't be afraid, sack up

My copy of the book was from 1967, and it was an effective traiing tool when I lused it to learn to train Bruno in 1998.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
I agree with Woody and don't like the 100% postivie reinfocement method...there are times when you need to be stern and correct actions....I had dogs gropwing up and trained them myself...did alot of reading and another good source is "The Art of Raising a Puppy with the Monks of New Skete" (they have several other versions and some DVDs)...like Woody stated their method is not universally accepted either because it does contain methods of correction and some dogs need the stern correction occassionally...I now have a 110 lbs Great Swiss Mtn Dog (3.5yrs old) and used many of the methods from this book and ones I learned along the way...I made my wife read up on it and we did take a basic obedience class where there was a trainer but you were the handler!...I firmly believe in YOU training the dog not someone else...handing it off to another person is not the best way....do NOT hand your dog off to someone else for training....and spending time with your dog at this young age is vital for the bonding of dog and master.....prime example is that I do most of the training and LUNA listens to me to a "T"....however, she doesn't always listen to my wife....you need to establish that ALL humans in your dogs life are the alpha male...the best advice is be vigilant, say commands ONLY once and then "assist" the behavior you desire....I also agree with the listening to the dog whisperer on some aspects...he makes some great points and its true that the human needs most of the training on how to train a dog....too many people get a dog and just expect good dog behavior will come naturally same with their children!!:mad:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I too agree that self training is best, I have three dogs, 109lbs 92 lbs and 28 lbs I can put the small one in the basket at petsmart and walk the other two on leashes with no acting up , pulling ..... I leave their leashes lose and "if" they get tight .....I pop them with my finger, they don't act up like most of the little dogs in there.......
when I stop they stop, now I do go slow to give them time to adjust to turns and all......

Hands down I have to agree with GG and others ...........do it your self...........don't raise your voice......they do want to please..........we just need to take the time to get down and teach them....but they do need boundries.......

theres those damn ..................................... agian...................

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Short of buying it on Amazon, I can't find it anywhere here in stores.

You want to part with yours Woody? I don't know how I'd be able to pay for it and so on and so forth since I don't use Paypal....

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
So, I got my little Airedale puppy and I thought about training him professionally since he's 20 weeks now.

However, there is an issue.... the Petco/Petsmart classes are typically a waste of money (say the professionals) BUT here are some things with the two trainers I've talked to.

1. Raises and breeds pitbulls but does obedience training. Would meet with him 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks and pay him like $275. However, I would have to drive 70 miles roundtrip to him which would cost me arund $150 in gas.

2. Second guy is real smart and grew up with Airedales. He would keep Goliath for 30 days and let me visit around 2 weeks for a few minutes. His fees are $475. He guarantees his work for lifetime.

I don't wanna spend $500 and I don't want to drive 70 miles round trip. I don't want him to lose his personality with training either.

He's getting to be really smart, knowing sit, shake, lay down and will come just about every time in my apartment. Up at the fraternity house, he will do it if there are only 3-4 folks outside talking.

What do I do? What's the average price for getting a dog trained?

-rockstate
It depends on what type of training you want. My wife trains dogs, and works at the SPCA (no, she is not some PITA person). She seems to have a knack with abused dogs, in my opinion.

As an example, she tells me that in the Norflok area, training runs on average of $65 an hour, give or take. Yet, there are many clubs all over the country that, if you join, are far cheaper. Hers cost her $65 to join the HROTC (Hampton Roads Obedience Training Club). After joining the club, she tells me the price is $25 an hour at your house with the pros there.

She aked me what type of dog you had. When I told her an Airdale, she laughed. Looks as if you will have to work at it, but you have a good breed. Her experience with the companies you mentioned seems to correspond with what you have heard yourself.

Perhaps talk to the breeder of the Pits. He may be willing to meet you half way at some park. Most professional trainers are very flexible, as they would have to be.

Hope this helps.

·
Ford "Scorpion" whisperer...
13,977 Posts
Keep in mind that not only the dog needs training but the owner also. The owner needs to learn dog language, and needs to react at the dogs behaviour. Use commons sense and be consistently.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Bubba. Airedales are a brilliant breed, just a bit stubborn. I have about 45 minutes worth of training to get him to sit, lay, and shake - all at 7 weeks. Now at about 20 weeks, he can do all of it pretty much without hesitation and in public.

When I contacted the Pitbull breeder our conversaton went something like this...

"Hey Jerry, I mapquested where you lived and saw it's about 35 miles each way..."
"hey man, I got someone on the other line let me call you back"

No call back b/c I think he knows that I won't be using him at such a distance.

-rockstate

1 - 20 of 29 Posts