Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having occasional issues with starting up my 2005 Tundra where the starter cranks for several seconds and holds the key in the start position while it's doing that. I have to manually turn the key back off and try the startup again, which typically works on the second attempt. I found this FAQ this morning:

Toyota Tundra FAQ
(Search on "Subject: 4.8 - Tundra Not Starting")

It says this is normal because the onboard computer takes a few extra seconds to run startup diagnostics, but I find that hard to believe. Is it really normal for a vehicle to not want to start?

Has anyone else had this same issue? Is there something that I should do to resolve it before taking it into the dealer?

For those who like pics, these were taken when I first bought the truck: Yahoo! Briefcase - List View

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Even though the vehicle is fuel injected, the pump needs to run for just a few seconds in order to build pressure and push fuel to the injectors. Without enough fuel in the line, its possible it might not start.

Different temperatures could affect the startup, but it's more likely the fuel pump not sending the fuel as fast. How many miles on the truck? Fuel filters are notorious for slowing the flow of fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an '06 and have had this problem occasionally, seems to happen mostly in very cold weather. When I turn the key and let go, the starter just cranks on its own. When it finally does start, you see a puff of exhaust smoke (probably unburned fuel). I'm always afraid that this is a good way to flood it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm approaching the 30K mile mark. I drive mostly to the train station and back throughout the week, which accounts for roughly 14K miles each year. I've noticed the problem even in nicer weather. It's sort of embarrassing to have such a nice new truck and to have it act up like this in the parking lot.

Does it help any if I turn the key just short of the start position for a few seconds before cranking it up? I'm not mechanical in any sort of way, so I have no idea if that triggers the fuel pump to get to work.

Anyway, it sounds like it's not something to be worried about at this point. Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
919 Posts
The tundra has auto start type of deal. All you have to do is turn the key for a split second & let it go, it will keep going until the truck starts.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
The tundra has auto start type of deal. All you have to do is turn the key for a split second & let it go, it will keep going until the truck starts.
And this can be bad. It takes alot of juice to crank over the V8. I'd advise only letting it do it for a second or two, don't just let it sit there.

Webguy, try to leave the key on "run" for a few seconds before trying to start and see if that helps.

Remember what I said about the fuel filter though. If its clogged up, the gas will take longer to flow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think we're on the same problem. I posted a thread about a week ago. Mine started doing it this summer. It isn't consistent, but once at 19 degrees it went into gyrations. I thought the battery might be weak and couldn't get enough rpm's to start. Thought it was the temp and then let it sit for two days in 0 degrees and started right up. It's done it at all temps and a few times I let it crank through the entire cycle to see if it would fire and it did. Usually if I just turn the key off and hit it again it cranks right up. I know it isn't priming the pump or injectors and I am pretty sure that when it started around 2000 miles it wasn't the fuel filter. Someone suggested that the computer was flippin' it's lid about something. That could be. I'm puzzled because it isn't consistent (read it won't happen at the dealership) and it can be annoying wondering if it will fire right up or take 15-20 seconds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had my 05 Tundra for just over 1 year now. Just two pet peeves and one is the occasional no start. Seems to be only in the cooler months and seems to happen no matter what level of fuel in the tank. Check engine light does not come on either. Tundrainorange is right, just flip the key to crank and let go, the computer takes over. Dealer has no suggestions. Second is the annoying noise in the dash. Dealer hasn't solved that yet either. I'm going to follow some of the recommendations found here on this site. Still the most solid truck I've owned so far.

·
Registered
218 Posts
In two years of ownership, and 42k miles, I've had this happen only once. The only reason I thought it odd was because I had read about it on the boards a lot.

Only happened that once, so there was nothing to bring to the dealer's attention.

So, basically, I'm no help at all................:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, got my lower ball joints replaced under recall today. I can't tell a lick of difference from before.

--Ryan

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 04 takes only a bit longer to start in the winter, otherwise its never failed to. I give it a count of two when I turn it on, mostly from acquiring that habit with my Forester. If you don't, the Subaru takes much longer to crank while the fuel system pressurizes. Then I touch the key to Start and let it take over. It usually starts before it turns half way around. I haven't tested it yet to see if the starter circuit is disabled while the engine is operating. Even my 20+ year old BMW motorcycle doesn't let that happen, unlike everything else I've owned.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 06 did this about two weeks ago and it wasn't that cold and the truck only had about 800 miles on it....but my 04 Tacoma did the same exact thing about every other month, could never pin down the problem.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your truck should be on warranty. I'd take it to the dealer. At least you would have an inquiry about this before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine did it 3 times before it had 1,000 miles on it with tempatures in the 20's and 30's. Then it went a year without doing it, until recently when it got down below zero. So it seems to be getting better. There is a service bulletin for this TSB EG 030-06

1 - 14 of 14 Posts