Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
Looking to buy an FJ Cruiser. I have one concern: Gas prices. I know it'll be better than my Tundra, but is everyone running 91 octane? or can you run 87? around here, its a $.20 difference. If it's 91 it's not a deal breaker, but I am curious.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
If you dont run the recommended 91, it will lack power and not achieve the best fuel economy. This engine is designed to run on 91 for a reason. Its all about combustion chamber design and emissions, while trying to squeeze the most power and MPG per gallon.

The use os anything lower may not hurt it, but you wont be at your full potential.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
:eek: I just got the FJ, the second tank I used the blend, mid grade whatever Octane it is. The most recent tank I used the cheap stuff and actually got a little better mileage. There seems to be more difference from one brand of gasoline to the other. The best mileage to this point has been Chevron 87 Octane, seems plenty peppy. If I were competing perhaps I would use the higher grades, I want reliable, don't need a rocket, I sorta drive like an Old Woman anyway. For my use I just can't see how the 91 octane and up is going to make that big of difference. I guess the other reality is, I'm kinda Cheap, the less money I can give to Big Oil the Better. However let me qualify Cheap is relative, I will use Mobil 1 Oil in the FJ when it comes time for that first Oil Change. The Tundra has 97K on it and runs like a scalded cat, it also burns 87 octane and things are lubed by Mobil 1. Someone is going to have do a spreadsheet for me to really show the added value of burning the higher octane. Just my $.02 Worth, A Pleasant VooDooBlue Evening to All
Chet

·
Registered
38 Posts
After a few months, I quit using the 91 and went to regular 87. I've never noticed any real difference. No knocking or pinging, and acceleration is fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
91 or 87?

I got my '07 in August and the dealer told me then, and repeated it several times on subsequent visits, that 87 was recommended by all the dealerships.
Over the past 12500 km, I've burned only 2 tanks of #1 gas, and got no better mileage than with the normal 87 I use. I'm learning to keep my foot out of it, to keep my revs below 2500, and for 8 months it's been a carefree experience.
PB

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
Re: 91 or 87?

I got my '07 in August and the dealer told me then, and repeated it several times on subsequent visits, that 87 was recommended by all the dealerships.
Over the past 12500 km, I've burned only 2 tanks of #1 gas, and got no better mileage than with the normal 87 I use. I'm learning to keep my foot out of it, to keep my revs below 2500, and for 8 months it's been a carefree experience.
PB
Not ALL dealerships recommend 87
Mine does not
Toyota spent $$$$$ in R&D and must know something, even if we dont understand why, that it should have 91+.
It is stated in the New Car feature that ALL dealerships have.
Its also in your owners manual. Page 206 & 316
You may not notice a difference and I personally dont think its going to hurt anything, but your not getting the full potential out of that engine without it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
this is an old and extensively covered topic go look back in the threads about 6 months and you will find all the info you need (and then some). Long and the short, nothing gained by running prem. I haven't run prem for about 10000 miles, no difference. Sorry Musta....whatever you called yourself, prem doesn't matter on this truck. Other cars do need it, just not this one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been running 91 only. It's only money, $3.61 today

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
this is an old and extensively covered topic go look back in the threads about 6 months and you will find all the info you need (and then some). Long and the short, nothing gained by running prem. I haven't run prem for about 10000 miles, no difference. Sorry Musta....whatever you called yourself, prem doesn't matter on this truck. Other cars do need it, just not this one.
I disagree, but thats what makes TS so great. We can both be right :D In our own worlds.:tu:
Toyota does alot of R&D and says it needs it for a reason.
I wont beat on this, your right. It has been covered before.
Enjoy the cheaper 87. I HAVE to run 91.
Have a good weekend ;) :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the responses.
I did indeed buy an FJ, I love it. I have yet to gas it up. it came w/a full tank courtesy of the dealer. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna run 87, and will only upgrade if it pings/knocks.
Thanx again for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
da cheap stuff. :tu:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm running a mix: 20% E85 + 87 Unleaded. Works great, cheaper, and higher octane to boot. :tu:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've ran 87 in my 2005 Tacoma and '07 Fj. Never a problem. Do what ya want.
The 911 gets 91 or 93 and have even ran it on 87 a few times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've only used 87 in my 2007 FJ--runs great -no pings and plenty of power--and gets good gas mileage since its past the break in period.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Is the FJ engine not the same as the Tacoma?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is the FJ engine not the same as the Tacoma?
It's exactly the same. The 1GR can run on 87 octane or higher. Toyota recommends 91 for best performance, however. With any octane, the ECU will determine how far it can advance the ignition timing. Obviously since 87 octane is more explosive, the ECU cannot advance the timing as far as 91 octane and the knock sensors actively detect pinging or detonation. Since 91 octane can let the engine achieve more timing, it creates more power, therefore, 87 octane runs the timing retarded since it cannot achieve the maximum amount of advance the ECU specifies. As the compression ratio of an engine increases, the more performance you'll lose between 87 and 91, but since the 1GR only has a 10.0:1 ratio, it's not too terrible.

So:

87 octane
236hp @ 5200rpm
266lb-ft @ 4000rpm

or

91 octane
239hp @ 5200rpm
278lb-ft @ 3700rpm

You get 12lb-ft more 300rpm sooner. Trivial, but it helps. Most dynos I've seen of the 1GR on 91 octane show 285lb-ft though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned my FJ for over a year now and have only filled it with 87 octane. No pings, knocks or lack of performance. Also, the Dealership filled it for my courtesy fillup with 87. Most do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts