Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son is looking at a 2006 tacoma with a odometer reading of 3000 miles. i think it is low from some of the things i see like tire wear. does anyone know as a fact if the ecu stores the mileage or not? i can ask the dealer to check the ecu if it does. i know some high end cars store it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mileage and time are logged into the 'long term' memory of the ECU and normally can not be reset. However, there are digital mileage correction tools that can be purchased and loaded into the diagnostic socket to modify these settings. You can call the dealer(s) and ask if they will plug into the ECU and ascertain the mileage for you. Of course you would have to get the cooperation of the seller to do this. I would think if the seller shows concern with your request.. that should tell you something right off the bat. If the odometer has been tampered with, which is not an easy task in itself, the ECU may have been tampered with as well. Also, keep in mind whenever the truck is at the dealer for any type of servicing the mileage is tagged with the Vin; however, not all dealers share this information among each other. The dealer though may be able to run the Vin and see what the mileage was when the vehicle was last in for servicing.This may give you an indication on whether the odometer has been tampered with.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I know for a fact that the mileage is kept in the chip located in the Gage cluster. Not in the ECU. If the truck that your son is looking at has had the cluster changed then the mileage would be wrong. I have 2 clusters and 1 of them reads 5 mile and the one in my truck reads 7,000 miles I use the spare as a loaner when I do the gage cluster mod for people. (Gage cluster MOD check my sig.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i went to the dealer and they told me that only the cluster stores the mileage, not the ecu. i think we will pass on the truck. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry...I stand corrected, I received my info from what I thought was a credible source that obviously turned out to be false.

·
Registered
157 Posts
so to simply change your trucks mileage reading you would change the cluster? Thats what like $100+? Seems like it should be harder than that.

What happens if you break yours some how and it needs replaced? You now got 0 miles on your truck? Can they put it back to the way it was somehow? Crazy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know if you buy a new cluster from the dealer they are required by law to reprogram the cluster to concur with the old one there removing. I'm sure if someone wants too, there's probably some aftermarket way to reprogram the chip.

What happens if you break yours some how and it needs replaced? You now got 0 miles on your truck? Can they put it back to the way it was somehow? Crazy.[/quote]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts