Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bridgestone duelers as original equipment on my 08 Sequoia. They have 23,000 miles and don't look like they will last another 10,000 miles. Very poor tread life so far. ALL the normal maintennance is done to preserve tire life. No alignment issues...they are wearing very evenly...just wearing out WAY too fast.

I had these same tires on my 05 4runner and got 65,000 mile on them. No way I will get that on my Sequoia.

These Flintstone tires are Poo-poo. Is anyone else getting the same poor tread life? What did you replace them with? Some came with Dunlops...don't know about the quality on those.

I think I see the Michelin man in the distance.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I only got 22,000 out of mine. Put AT REVO's on at that time. My wife had 40000 on the REVO's she had on her 4-Runner and they still looked good. I now have 18,000 on the REVO's and I am almost at the wear bars. My wife still has her REVO's on her 4-runner and has 55,000 now and she has more left than I do. Maybe Sequoias eat rubber for breakfast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOLY SMOKES !!! Maybe they do eat rubber (as well as Expeditions and Tahoe's) for breakfast.

Thats pretty poor wear on those REVO's. I sure won't be buying those. I have Michelin LTX's on a FORD pickup...with 60,000 miles on them. They look to go another 5-10,000 miles.I'll probably try those on the Sequoia.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you want a hard compound tire that will last a long time get the Michelin MS2. I don't prefer that hard of a tire, but if that's what you're looking for, then that is the tire to get. Check out the 3 digit code for that tire its around 720 for tread wear rating. Other brands may be to your liking, but make sure it has a tread wear code of 650 and higher.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have ~15K on my OE Bridgestones and besides the wear I have some cracking inside the tread and on the sidewalls I don't like. I also run deaired on the beach a lot so I doubt that's helping. Not to the wear bars yet but I may replace rather than go through an NJ winter with them on. I had Revo's on my 99 Expy and don't remember any wear issues like I'm seeing on the Sequoia. When the time comes I'll see what Costco has to offer - Michelin's seem cheaper than a fresh set of Revo's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little over a month ago I purchased a pre-owned 2008 Tundra 4x4 crewmax with 31000 miles on the OE Bridgestone Duelers it had. They were evenly worn, but I don't think I would have gotten much more than another 5000 miles out of them.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
keep in mind the sequoia is a lot heavier than a 4 runner, etc...so just in the normal nature of turning and road curves etc, its going to wear them out faster...larger heavier vehicles need harder compound tires to equal the same longevity as a lighter weight vehicle...OE tires are almost always a compromise of road noise, feel, and economy. i never expect OE tires to last too long....my BFG Ragged Trails i had stock on my tundra went little over 30k miles and now i have a load range E Toyo tire, sure its stiffer and harder of a tire but its going to last a long time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I second the MS2's, I replaced the original Alenza's on my 08 with them at about 30k. The alenza's weren't done but they were getting there. The MS2's will cost you but they should last long with the higher compound rating. I had to replace one when I picked up a nail on our vacation. $275 ouch.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have 60,000 on mine and I think they will go another 3-5 before hitting the wear bars. They have worn great and stayed balanced so I don't know what you guys are talking about. I do run 80% highway, maybe that's the difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 60,000 on mine and I think they will go another 3-5 before hitting the wear bars. They have worn great and stayed balanced so I don't know what you guys are talking about. I do run 80% highway, maybe that's the difference.

Either you put your vehicle up on a rack and spun the odometer ahead 30,000 miles...or your tires were one set of only 50 in the nation made on a Tuesday morning between 9Am and 10AM after the tire workers sobered up, got their 4 cups of coffee, ate 7 donuts then the sugar high kicked in and it was time to think about lunch.....!:p

Most of my driving on my Flintstone Duelers is done straight, and at highway speeds. No aggressive driving, spinouts, etc. I'm very careful with my tires. Like a previous poster said, they are just a cheap compromise, soft rubber, low bid,OE,"no one will know the difference until the warranty is up" poo-poo tire. When i replace them I'm not even going to insult my kid's by saving one for a tire swing.:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Perhaps if I put the tires on backwards I could spin 30,000 miles off the truck. Maybe it's a different tire. I have Dueler Alenza H/L's. I just priced new Dueler's at Costco and they have a hard tread rating and I believe a 65,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perhaps if I put the tires on backwards I could spin 30,000 miles off the truck. Maybe it's a different tire. I have Dueler Alenza H/L's. I just priced new Dueler's at Costco and they have a hard tread rating and I believe a 65,000 mile warranty.

What I have is Dueler HT D684II's with a 360 treadwear rating. Your Alenza's have a 600 treadwear rating. Big difference.

More important - is Costco selling Bridgestone again? Last I checked I could not get them anymore up here in NJ.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My wire burns through 340 tread wear tires on her Acura TL every 30K miles.

Costco has them again and there's a $60 coupon available for a set of 4. Oddly enough, they are out of stock at the moment but they said check back in a week for that tire. Your looking at about about $220 per tire plus install package. I was so happy with the performance of my original tires I'm putting them back on. The wear, balance and road noise has been better than the Michelin's and BF Goodrich T/A's I have run in the past.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anybody look at the wear. I'm trying to figure out why my inside edge of my rear tires are very worn. Every worse than the front outside edge. Did anyone look at their tires after removal?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anybody look at the wear. I'm trying to figure out why my inside edge of my rear tires are very worn. Every worse than the front outside edge. Did anyone look at their tires after removal?
Mine seem to wear evenly. Are you rotating every 5K? Alignment problem/ too much toe-out?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Had Dunlop's on mine from the factory and were finished at 30,000 miles. They wore evenly but just did not last. Put on a set of Mastercraft HTR Plus recently and have been very pleased with them thus far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mine last 26k didn't like them... but its just the sequoia eat tires like candy... bought some new tundra BFG Rugged Trails tire put them on and i can see about 2k on them and my front eat more then the back... it might last me 1 year... hate buying tires... next set going with mud tires harder tread might last longer.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fellas, I just left the Firestone dealership after looking to replace my OEM Bridgestone Dueller Alanza HL tires (275/55/20). While there I questioned the difference between the advertised warranties on these tires. FYI, there is a Limited (65K) and Basic (40K) warranty which is based on the information next to the DOT marking on the tire . He stated that the OEM tires are built to the spec that is given to them by the auto manufacturer. Usually this spec includes a lesser wear warranty. To meet this spec the tire manufacturer uses different rubber compounds in the tire which drives the price for the OEM tire down for the new vehicle. The tire looks, appears and drives the same but wears more quickly. Is this guy full of it or is this true OEM vs Aftermarket

Regarding the tires I have on my truck, they are Bridgestone Dueller Alanza HL tires with 33K miles on them. Bridgestone said that I have roughly 10K of rubber left on them and that they would pro-rate the new purchase $50 per tire to reflect this. They quoted me $164.03 per tire installed out the door which includes the TPS rebuild and a road hazard warranty. Would you go with the same tire again if the above information is true.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why not run them for another 10000 miles. I just put new Alenza HL's on from Costco. I had 61500 on my old set and I could have gotten another 2-3000 out of them before I hit the wear bars. Since I am taking a 2000 mile trip and pulling a boat, I decided to change them now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts