Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My searches turned up boatloads of aftermarket equipment but I'd like to know what's available from Toyota:

I've attached pictures of exactly which audio system came in my truck. I'm wondering what system(s) Toyota offers as up upgrade, from the current system I have now. Pictures would be nice if anyone has those. I'm just thinking about a plug n play. I did find one thread about a JBL system but I don't think that's what my truck has. Could I upgrade to it plug and play? If so, what all would I be adding or changing? What comes in the limited models? Would that be an option?

Also, how could I tell if my truck is pre-wired with the steering wheel radio controls? I've been fortunate as my truck has had many of the wires needed for the power fold mirrors and MPG display, so I may be lucky again.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
you are going to be sorely disappoinnted if you go through all the trouble to upgrade to a JBL or JBL with nav or anthing like that....the cost and effort arent worth basically the same sound. the stock subwoofer in the back sucks, as most owners can agree. the JBL system will need the head unit, amplifier, etc...unless u can get it all from a wrecked truck...for next to nothing, its gonna be totallly not worth it.

now, if sound improvement is what you want, the best thing to do is just upgrade the door speakers for starters. the stock ones (on all the trucks, JBL included) are really cheaply made. that would be the cheapest and easiest upgrade. and retain stock look. next would be to add an amplifier and subwoofer or powered subwoofer if you want some low end thump. then you could always add an amp and the new speakers and the amp and sub to the stock head unit if you want to retain the stock look..which i dont blame you for. no aftermarket one looks right in these trucks, contrary to what people swear by. the kits always look off one way or the other.

but if u have the coin and want to go all toyota...then go for it...its just not going to be a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Dude, don't even waste your time... go after-market!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also, how could I tell if my truck is pre-wired with the steering wheel radio controls? I've been fortunate as my truck has had many of the wires needed for the power fold mirrors and MPG display, so I may be lucky again.
It appears you have the SR5 package which includes the pre-wires for many of the additional features.

To get factory steering-wheel controls, you need the switches, steering wheel and the airbag cover (which yields two possibilities, replace airbag with non-functional cover, or replace airbag with one from a tundra with steering wheel controls). Thread with the most complete how-to I've seen

·
Registered
315 Posts
As someone who has spent the last 20 years f-ing around with high end audio my opinion on the JBL OEM system is that its better then average for an OEM stereo (although imaging is all screwed with their cheesy center channel speaker).
This doesnt mean its good....just slightly better then horrible.

-quick rant:

It really pisses me off to see a brand like JBL who at one time was a well made/ engineered USA made product now whored out to over seas manufacturing for quick profits while forsaking the name they earned from years of quality products.

After viewing the Toyota OEM JBL speakers they resemble zero from what JBL was back in the 90's....and they dont resemble any current JBL product you can buy aftermarket, and the only thing that may relate to JBL is the fact that it may be made the same Chinese factory they produce other now substandard JBL products and a "JBL" logo. (*I highly doubt they even did their own engineering on the drivers.)

I could do a list a mile long of other manufactures that took this same route; Soundstream, A/D/S/, PPI, JBL, Hifonics, Orion...and on and on are now just crap.

Any decent aftermarket setup will be leagues superior to the JBL logo'ed OEM abortion.
(*note: I wouldnt be so pizzed if it just didnt SAY JBL....and maybe just "Toyota Premium".)

~JH

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2007 - Toyota - Tundra
Steering wheel, Steering wheel and trim, Audio switch, Brown - Leather - Leather $108.10

2007 - Toyota - Tundra
Steering wheel, Steering wheel and trim, Steering wheel, Brown - Leather - Leather $665.33

2007 - Toyota - Tundra
Restraint systems, Air bag components, Driver air bag, Brown $498.71

So is this everything a person needs to do the steering wheel audio controls? Or am I still missing something?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
the price man..did you see the price? that's over 1K for those parts...insane.

cheapest way is to get those switches, installed it inot your existing steering wheel after you take out the blanks, then trim your airbag cover and remount it...wires are already there so just plug in..then on the other end (upper glove compartment) just run those to your HU and you're set. More than likely your stock steering wheel is plastic/vinyl so replacing it with leather is super nice...trust me, the leather feel is out of this world compared to that vinyl. I replaced mine with wood/leather from Platinum edition.
there is a set forsale in the FS seciton per your PM. (again, i'm not the seller nor do I know him or benefits from the sale).

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thanks for the info!! :tu::tu:

the price man..did you see the price? that's over 1K for those parts...insane.

cheapest way is to get those switches, installed it inot your existing steering wheel after you take out the blanks, then trim your airbag cover and remount it...wires are already there so just plug in..then on the other end (upper glove compartment) just run those to your HU and you're set. More than likely your stock steering wheel is plastic/vinyl so replacing it with leather is super nice...trust me, the leather feel is out of this world compared to that vinyl. I replaced mine with wood/leather from Platinum edition.
there is a set forsale in the FS seciton per your PM. (again, i'm not the seller nor do I know him or benefits from the sale).

·
Preferred Dealer
117 Posts
A buddy showed me some pics of a new head unit that was being designed for the Tundra. The unit looks just like OEM nav unit with all sorts of aftermarket bells and whistle's.... its being R&D'd for final production so hopefully if all goes well we'll have a nice clean option soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as I know any aftermarket is better than OEM in the Tundra. All of the research I have seen states this. Even the reviews of the stock over the JBL says that the stock sounds better. I have stock and want to upgrade to the 12 speaker or better speakers. I have the stock bluetooth Sat radio. I was wondering if anybody out there has any ideas on how to either upgrade current system with new speakers, adding speakers, and so on. I do not want to lose my bluetooth capablilities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:beavbutt:As far as I know any aftermarket is better than OEM in the Tundra. All of the research I have seen states this. Even the reviews of the stock over the JBL says that the stock sounds better. I have stock and want to upgrade to the 12 speaker or better speakers. I have the stock bluetooth Sat radio. I was wondering if anybody out there has any ideas on how to either upgrade current system with new speakers, adding speakers, and so on. I do not want to lose my bluetooth capablilities.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts