Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, I just left the Firestone dealership after looking to replace my OEM Bridgestone Dueller Alanza HL tires (275/55/20). While there I questioned the difference between the advertised warranties on these tires. FYI, there is a Limited (65K) and Basic (40K) warranty which is based on the information next to the DOT marking on the tire . He stated that the OEM tires are built to the spec that is given to them by the auto manufacturer. Usually this spec includes a lesser wear warranty. To meet this spec the tire manufacturer uses different rubber compounds in the tire which drives the price for the OEM tire down for the new vehicle. The tire looks, appears and drives the same but wears more quickly. Is this guy full of it or is this true OEM vs Aftermarket

Regarding the tires I have on my truck, they are Bridgestone Dueller Alanza HL tires with 33K miles on them. Bridgestone said that I have roughly 10K of rubber left on them and that they would pro-rate the new purchase $50 per tire t oreflect this. They quoted me $164.03 per tire installed out the door which includes the TPS rebuild and a road hazard warranty. Would you go with the same tire again if the above information is true.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work for Toyota and have worked in tire quality, specifically. My response here does not reflect the opinion of Toyota in any way.

There is a different spec between OEM and aftermarket. However, it is not to say that the tire is made differently. It is typically only that the OEM spec for balance and radial force variation be within a certain zone. Those that do not meet the OEM spec typically go to your lower-end tire retailers. Your higher-end retailers may pay more to get the better quality tires, but I don't know what retailers get what tires. That said, just because the balance and RFV doesn't meet the OEM spec, it doesn't mean they're bad tires. They should be balanced out with wheel weights. RFV can be sometimes balanced out by rotating the tire on the rim on a Hunter Road Force Balancer, but this is a more expensive process. So, your aftermarket tires COULD have a bit more radial force variation (vibration) than OEM, but I'd doubt that anyone could notice without testing back-to-back.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Tires for decades are made for the manufacturer. I've seen different brand tires with the same GM tread pattern.
Stock tires usually are a softer compound as well as their low inflation rates to make a vehicle ride smoother.
They don't care about how long the tires last.
Whether the store tires are different depends on the tire. Is your tire dealer willing to put that in writing? I bet not.
But if you like the tire ,then I'd say go for it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work for Toyota and have worked in tire quality, specifically. My response here does not reflect the opinion of Toyota in any way.

There is a different spec between OEM and aftermarket. However, it is not to say that the tire is made differently. It is typically only that the OEM spec for balance and radial force variation be within a certain zone. Those that do not meet the OEM spec typically go to your lower-end tire retailers. Your higher-end retailers may pay more to get the better quality tires, but I don't know what retailers get what tires. That said, just because the balance and RFV doesn't meet the OEM spec, it doesn't mean they're bad tires. They should be balanced out with wheel weights. RFV can be sometimes balanced out by rotating the tire on the rim on a Hunter Road Force Balancer, but this is a more expensive process. So, your aftermarket tires COULD have a bit more radial force variation (vibration) than OEM, but I'd doubt that anyone could notice without testing back-to-back.
Z3, interesting information you have given us and thanks for the reply. If I am understanding your post right, the rubber compounds are the same in OEM and aftermarket but their RFV (tire balance) is different and responsible for premature wear. Is the RFV the reason these tires wear out quicker???? FYI, when I look at my sidewall I find a tread-wear rating of 600 which I thought was the more desirable rating. I am leary of putting the same tire on my vehicle although it has performed well in all aspects except tread-wear.

Z3 you are as close to an expert as I have found researching this topic. If you have anything further to add feel free to share your knowledge. Why do these tires wear out so quickly???

·
Registered
195 Posts
My Bridgestone on the Tundra were shot at 24k, a different Bridgestone tire on my BMW was replaced at 13k because of noise (egg shaped) under warranty and were shot again 30k miles later.

I´d stay away from that brand as far as possible, in the price range of Alenzas you find much better tires on the market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Z3, interesting information you have given us and thanks for the reply. If I am understanding your post right, the rubber compounds are the same in OEM and aftermarket but their RFV (tire balance) is different and responsible for premature wear. Is the RFV the reason these tires wear out quicker???? FYI, when I look at my sidewall I find a tread-wear rating of 600 which I thought was the more desirable rating. I am leary of putting the same tire on my vehicle although it has performed well in all aspects except tread-wear.

Z3 you are as close to an expert as I have found researching this topic. If you have anything further to add feel free to share your knowledge. Why do these tires wear out so quickly???
The RFV doesn't have anything to do with the wear of the tires. Only the vibrations (or lack thereof) that you would feel in the cabin or through the steering wheel. The compounds themselves should be the same.

The biggest contributor to premature tire wear is your alignment. Specifically your toe. If you have excessive toe (usually toe-in in a street car/truck), it will scrub the tire as you go down the road, constantly wearing it. You want some toe, though, for stability and to combat tramlining (following grooves in the pavement). Excessive camber might wear the insides (not likely in your truck and only possible in your front independent suspension) or frequently cornering hard might wear the outsides.

The most common "premature wear" that I saw on the trucks was the outer edges of some of the tires (mostly Dunlops, iirc). They would appear to be bald, but in fact, there was a lot of rubber there, but no grooves, so they looked bald. Are your tires worn uniformly? Have you had an alignment done recently? What are the specs?

The comment about manufacturers "not caring about tire longevity" is completely false. We buy a lot of tires through goodwill (not warranty) and, even though we don't actually make them, the tires are a huge influence on the customer's perception of a vehicle. Not to mention the greatest variable in the vehicle's ride and handling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In that tire size most local tire shops i have seen do not carry the tire with the same speed rating that your truck came with. They usually carry the speed rating that GM uses and slap those on your truck. The cost difference is about $30 per tire due to the different construction

·
Registered
13 Posts
In that tire size most local tire shops i have seen do not carry the tire with the same speed rating that your truck came with. They usually carry the speed rating that GM uses and slap those on your truck. The cost difference is about $30 per tire due to the different construction
Then you're shopping at the wrong places. Shop at the Tire Rack (www.TireRack.com) or even check with your dealer for OEM tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Then you're shopping at the wrong places. Shop at the Tire Rack (www.TireRack.com) or even check with your dealer for OEM tires.
I am not shopping at the wrong place, i work at the dealer and stock the correct tire. The point i was making is that most shops sell by tire size and make sure that the speed rating is close to what the car came with. I will only install tires rated at or above the factory speed rating

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am not shopping at the wrong place, i work at the dealer and stock the correct tire. The point i was making is that most shops sell by tire size and make sure that the speed rating is close to what the car came with. I will only install tires rated at or above the factory speed rating
LOL. Sorry, when you said "most shops", I assumed you were actually shopping at regular tire retailers. I'm assuming that the dealership you work for stocks, or orders, the actual OEM tires?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Z3spdDmn, Thank you for interesting information. How to check & measure tire Balance & RFV in factory, Same Hunter GSP9700 ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good friend of mine family owns a tire store/automotive repair.
What you was told is spot on.
Oem for manufacturers are not as good a tire to cut down on their over all cost, sad but true.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts