Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jliltd and any other members who may have installed (after taking delivery) fog lights. I think Jliltd did this and wanted to know if this was difficult and where you bought the lights. Dont like the black inserts where they go and would rather see glass there. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Jliltd and any other members who may have installed (after taking delivery) fog lights. I think Jliltd did this and wanted to know if this was difficult and where you bought the lights. Dont like the black inserts where they go and would rather see glass there. Any help appreciated.
I am curious about this as well. That's the only regret I had when I took delivery of my CrewMax. No fog lights. For anyone who knows, is it a do-it-yourself job or should you allow a dealer or truck accessory store do it?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I remember reading that it costs pretty big bucks to add factory fogs after the fact. I think it was in the $300-$400 range IIRC. Ouch.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ya, there is a previos thread on it. Should be able to find it and another with aftermarket lights. I think the OEM came to about 600 out the door. They have to pull the steering wheel and replace the light switch with one that has a third selection. You can only turn them on with the headlights and without the high beams.
I put some PIAA's on mine that look real nice. They weren't a perfect fit but I was able to make them work by cutting the back off the black boots and drilling one hole on each side.
Don't remeber what the other guys put in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
here in Canada Toyota wants $259 a side plus $60 for a relay so they cum on with the lows.

we need aftermarket kits that bolt in real bad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought the blinglights kit like a few others here from ebay but now that I have them and took out the black cover in the back along with the black cover for the hole there is no place to mount them. I don't know if anyone else had this problem but tomorrow when its nicer out i'll have to look at it more and figure something out.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have OEM Fog lights and they are not about a whole lot, If ya need serious Fog lights go aftermarket, ya get what ya pay for with aftermarkets!! Not much fog in NM but i have run thru some on trips and OEM's are not much help!:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would have to agree with Hogwild, if your going to get fogs, you may as well get real aftermarket lights. OEM's are a bit weak compared to the others that are available.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I would have to agree with Hogwild, if your going to get fogs, you may as well get real aftermarket lights. OEM's are a bit weak compared to the others that are available.
sad ya can't find a decent aftermarket light that would fit in OEM holes but they would probably melt bumper, not to mention look best in the proper slots!!:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the blinglights kit like a few others here from ebay but now that I have them and took out the black cover in the back along with the black cover for the hole there is no place to mount them. I don't know if anyone else had this problem but tomorrow when its nicer out i'll have to look at it more and figure something out.
Look uner the bumper at the wheel well. There will be two hex/phillips screws. Take these out and the panel can be pulled back for access to the fog light location. Also back there is a mounting bracket (on the side toward the center of the truck) for the fog lights.
I have some after markets that I was going to put on my 98 Taco. They are oval. So I am going to have to mount them with a top or bottom mount. Anybody out there make something to attach to the factory side mount to allow for a bottom mount?

·
Registered
17 Posts
How did you get the black plastic panels out? Or did you cut the holes while still mounted in the bumper?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I remember reading that it costs pretty big bucks to add factory fogs after the fact. I think it was in the $300-$400 range IIRC. Ouch.

Ouch? You have no idea. Just the individual lights will cost that. Here is a summary of what the fog lights would cost you to have installed by a dealer:

Qty___Part No.______Description____________________Price
__1___84140-0C060__Switch Assy, Head__________________$103.60
__2___81210-AA030__Lamp Assy, Fog ($193.91 each)_______$387.82
__1___52126-0C020__Bracket, Fog Lamp___________________$52.02
__1___52125-0C020__Bracket, Fog Lamp___________________$52.02
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Parts Price_________________________________$595.46

Installation Labor (2hrs)__________________________$160.00
Grand Total_____________________________________$755.46

I was lucky to have negotiated this down to about $600 since I had many other options installed at the same time as the fog lights. The biggest part of the labor charge will be the replacement of the headlight switch assemby (left side stalk on steering column). The steering wheel has to be pulled and this involves the airbag system by default. I'd leave that up to a dealer.

The only reason I spent $600 was that these items were done at the front end of my deal when "what's another $600" seems to make sense, and I knew if I took it home and started running it without these items I'd probably never do it. In fact I can tell you today after 7,500 miles I wouldn't dare take my truck to the dealer to have this stuff installed. I'd probably aftermarket the fog lights and install the mirror and backup camera system myself. But in the end it's nice having them now.

The wiring is already in place in your truck. Maybe somebody could just add the OEM lights and brackets and then figure a way to intercept the wiring harness and put a seperate switch on the dash. I think a seperate switch would be more useful than the OEM in that you could decide when the foglights are on. Plus, nobody would be messing with your steering column in a brand new truck.

Hope all that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bump
any one had success with aftermarkets yet?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ouch? You have no idea. Just the individual lights will cost that. Here is a summary of what the fog lights would cost you to have installed by a dealer:

Qty___Part No.______Description____________________Price
__1___84140-0C060__Switch Assy, Head__________________$103.60
__2___81210-AA030__Lamp Assy, Fog ($193.91 each)_______$387.82
__1___52126-0C020__Bracket, Fog Lamp___________________$52.02
__1___52125-0C020__Bracket, Fog Lamp___________________$52.02
Total Parts Price_________________________________$595.46

Installation Labor (2hrs)__________________________$160.00
Grand Total_____________________________________$755.46

I was lucky to have negotiated this down to about $600 since I had many other options installed at the same time as the fog lights. The biggest part of the labor charge will be the replacement of the headlight switch assemby (left side stalk on steering column). The steering wheel has to be pulled and this involves the airbag system by default. I'd leave that up to a dealer.

The only reason I spent $600 was that these items were done at the front end of my deal when "what's another $600" seems to make sense, and I knew if I took it home and started running it without these items I'd probably never do it. In fact I can tell you today after 7,500 miles I wouldn't dare take my truck to the dealer to have this stuff installed. I'd probably aftermarket the fog lights and install the mirror and backup camera system myself. But in the end it's nice having them now.

The wiring is already in place in your truck. Maybe somebody could just add the OEM lights and brackets and then figure a way to intercept the wiring harness and put a seperate switch on the dash. I think a seperate switch would be more useful than the OEM in that you could decide when the foglights are on. Plus, nobody would be messing with your steering column in a brand new truck.

Hope all that helps.
Note the that the above part numbers for the brackets are for the chrome bumper only. There might be a different bracket for color-keyed bumpers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How did you get the black plastic panels out? Or did you cut the holes while still mounted in the bumper?
The black plastic panels (round stuck in the bumper) come out easily. Use a thin screwdriver or putty knife blade and gently pry at the side closest to the center of the truck (9 o'clock on the driver's side, 3 o'clock on the passenger's). There is a small protrusion there that snaps into the bumper on the inside. There are two other larger protrusions that lock into the bumper on the opposite side.

Removing the fender liner is two clips at the edge, two screws at the bumper bottom, and one larger clip at the frame.

Once that's out, you will be able to see where you can mount your aftermarket light. My aftermarket kit came with a relay and switch. I put the switch into one of the blanks in the dash (check several, some have a pre-determined purpose).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Want to bump this up, becasue I need some help. I put in the Toyota fog lights and did the bracket switch. Piece of cake. Wiring harness is alrealy back there taped up. Obviously swapped out the brackets (new cups is what i call them) 52126-0C020 and 52126-0C020. Where I am needing the help is in the area of intercepting the factory wiring harness. I realize it most certainly goes up to the steering column; I want to avoid replacing the blinker/lights stick for several reasons. one I wouldn't dare attempt to take that task on with removing the steering wheel and airbags involved. But also I want to be able to leave the fog lights on with bright lights as well, if needed.

Has anyone had any luck tapping into the factory wiring harness and using an independedn switch?

Just some information to pass along as well: the SR5 with the chrome bumper takes the 52126-0C020 Bracket (or cups as I like to call them). This cup has 3 tabs on it around the top lip to snap into the chrome bumper. And then at the back, it has a tab for bolting to the bumper frame. That tab is on the left side as you are facing the truck. The factory fog lights basically just snap into these cups, in other words you do not have to bolt them into the cups in any way. Then the cups snap into the bumper, with you needing to bolt in at the rear. If someone wanted to avoid the costly factory fog lights, I would think they could at the least invest in the new cups (brackets 52126-0C020 and 52125-0C020) and then buy their own fog lights that fit in the opening. They would just have to fnd a way to make them mount inside the cup/bracket. But this way they would have a cup that still fits the bumper and mounts up cleanly. The traick is finding the lights to match. Blinglights makes a fog light that may fit the bill. With the new brackets/cups, all you have is $100 ties up there. The alternative is to take the exisitng cup/bracket and cut the back out. To which you still have that metal bumper bracket that you could somehow possibly mount the fog light to. I just thenk that would be hard to do.

Folks WITHOUT the chrome bumper would need to buy 52126-0C030 and 5216-0C030 bracket/cups. They are same pricing, but fit in the bumper differently than the 0c020. The 0c020 has a tab that bolts to the inside of the bumper frame as I mentioned above. The 0c030 has a tab that mounts to the outside of the bumper.

With all that said, has anyone been able to tie into the factory harness and use their own independet switch?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got OEM fog lights, brackets and the steering wheel switch for $275 from a member on Tundra Solutions. I am afraid to put the steering wheel switch in myself, because of the air bags and stuff. I do have the chrome bumpers and was it easy to put the lights and brackets in. I think it took 5 minutes per side and that included attaching the wiring and bolting the bracket to a metal tab inside the bumper. EASY!!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Here's a pic of the Hella Halo 2500 lights that I installed using the existing cups. I simply cut out the centers after popping them out. The halo function is wired in with the park lights, so they come on independently.

Total cost: $75 with toyota switch which mounts in the dash. These lights are bright and have glass lenses that won't cloud up the way plastic does.

Simple, cheap, and superior to OEM - what more could you want?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Here's a pic of the Hella Halo 2500 lights that I installed using the existing cups. I simply cut out the centers after popping them out. The halo function is wired in with the park lights, so they come on independently.

Total cost: $75 with toyota switch which mounts in the dash. These lights are bright and have glass lenses that won't cloud up the way plastic does.

Simple, cheap, and superior to OEM - what more could you want?

Question on your install... Were you able to mount the fog lights onto the truck's metal bracket?? or the light just sits on around the factory plastic cups??
thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts