Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a really hard decision.

I originally went to the dealer to buy a truck with navigation. After playing with it for a few minutes, I was disappointed in the functionality of the menus, ease of use, the fuzziness of the screen, and the outdated "large knobs" design of the face. That's before you even take into consideration the fact that it's DVD, not HDD based, which is SO 5 years ago. Don't forget the fact that you sacrifice 5V preouts and sound quality if you're looking to do a system. All of these factors were enough to make me pass on the NAV package and buy another truck. :eek:

BUT...even with all of that said, I'm just not sure I like the look of the one-size-fits-all aftermarket NAV in the top center of the dash anymore. It just looks so...tacked on. I like the clean OEM look.

But am I willing to sacrifice the value and functionality of the aftemarket units just to get a certain look, that I'm not 100% sure I like? :confused: Can I imagine sending a signal to my Focals (saved from my last truck) from the stock unit?

I'm confused! Any other points I should consider? Price is not much different either way, so no worries there.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
3rd, i agree with u on the aftermarket looks like crap thing...there is not a kit made to install ANY aftermarket one into the truck to look right...no matter what people will say and post, it looks like its an afterthought....

but that said, i'd probally rather go with a ill fitting nav unit aftermarket wise that will give u the funcionality and performance you want over an outdated, frustrating to use, non expandable, non high end sounding unit...and just live with a slightly annoying overall look vs hating using and listening to it everyday haha

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Well boys... I've had the OEM Nav in my truck for a few days now. I have to say that as far as calculating routes & searching addresses, poi's, etc... This "DVD" based system is surprisingly quick. Just as quick, if not quicker, than my Pioneer unit I used to have. I know Chad's never liked the aftermarket look, but my Metra kit with my Pioneer looked really good, IMO. There wasn't a single person that got in my truck (when I had the Pioneer with the gloss Metra kit) that thought it was aftermarket.

Here's a quick list of Pro's and Con's I've found so far:

Pioneer:
PRO:
Built-in iPod interface (cable required)
Customizeable (backgrounds, colors, startup screen)
Better sound quality (and sound upgrade options)
Map has 2D & 3D views
Map has 3D pictures of buildings/landmarks in urban areas
Customizeable POI's with Pioneer's service

CON:
Slower response time
Slow startup time
Some issues with Bluetooth
No RDS (Radio Data System) unless you buy the HD tuner (then the info is still limited)
Doesn't look as good as stock (in the dash)

The OEM Nav unit:
PRO:
Looks good in the dash
Bigger Screen
Good/Quick Bluetooth
Maps load surprisingly quick
Menus aren't too "Deep" and easy to access
Radio has built-in RDS
OEM Voice-Control with the integrated controls
Add-ons can be purchased for iPod, video, etc.

CON:
Antiquated graphics on screen
Sound Quality is just OK
Map is only 2D/graphics aren't all that great
Not customizable - what you see is what you get.
Must buy map updates (there's ways around that though).

---
Overall, I'm really happy so far with the OEM unit. My Vais-Tech SL2i iPod adapter should be here tomorrow, so that'll be the deal-breaker for me.. we'll see how it goes.

So, basically what I'm saying is this: There's TONS of competition for aftermarket units. if you're going to buy one, make sure you at-least get one with customizeable color so it'll match your truck's lighting. But, unless you're doing some crazy aftermarket stereo upgrades, I think the stock Nav is fine. I had my Pioneer for about 1.5+ years, and after having this OEM Nav (with the exception of Pioneer's excellent iPod integration) I like the overall functionality & look of the OEM Nav better.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
ThirdHorseman, since you have the Limited model I would just get a factory Nav unit and drop'er in your dash. It may not be up to date but it looks great and it works with all your current desired items (bluetooth, steering wheel controls). :)

If you are super into SQ, they do make sound processor's that'll make any stock headunit sound real nice.

My biggest gripe about the stock unit (any stock unit on the Tundra for that matter), is the AUX port is right up there in front. If I want to hide my iPod, there's a cord hanging from my dash to the iPod still. I don't like cords hanging from my dash, regardless of what it does.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points everyone!

popo, I can totally understand why you feel the OEM NAV loads faster than your Pioneer. I had the same unit in my Lightning and I could take a nap while waiting for the initial boot. I'm told there are software upgrades that are supposed to rectify this, but I was a bit disappointed in the unit overall. Too bad, because the menus and nav functionality were superb.

That Pioneer was the first - and possibly last with the exception of a Kenwood - time I'll step away from Eclipse units. Even though Fujitsu Ten is not the same as it was in the hey day of car audio, their screens are as wide as possible for a double din, easy to use, and geared toward SQ.

Great point about the bluetooth functionality. Can you retain that with a PAC add-on, or no? I don't want to run another stupid mic, lol.

As far as the Scosche kit goes, I think that 90% of the people out there will not notice it. The one I had was a fantastic match to the piano black. But *I* know, and the radio is just in such an obvious location on the curvy dash. I suppose I think it does look good, but it's still too aftermarket.

The one I had fit pretty close to the edge of the kit, which is why I think I liked it so much. Some of the others look soooo much more buried.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
^Looks like an Eclipse unit in your picture? I love mine. I have my BT mic up front and my iPod inside my center console. I have had several people ask me if it was stock. :)

Though I do understand you have the 2010 model and Toyota changed the black finish on those models...no match with the piano black kits on the market.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I originally had the Metra kit (gloss black), then picked up the Scosche kit (flat) to see if it looked better with my 2010 coloring. I think the Metra kit looks MUCH better... the lines & curves seemed to be a better "fit" and somehow looked more OEM than the Scosche.

As far as the Bluetooth - I did not splice into the OEM mic, and just used the Pioneer one. I probably could've found the wire, but it was easier just to run the Pioneer mic through. But, the OEM bluetooth system works way better than the Pioneer one.

Just a note to add: The Toyota system is made by Eclipse as well.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was really surprised when I learned that. Guess Eclipse didn't provide their full bag of tricks to the OEMs!

I don't like the flat look of the Metra. Doesn't make sense that only the HVAC would be glossy, so it doesn't look factory, plus it won't work with the Sand Beige interior. I hear the Scosche doesn't always look great, but mine was a perfect fit in the corner where it meets the dash. Even in the picture I posted above, you can see that the light reflects the same off the Scosche as compared to the HVAC panel.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^Looks like an Eclipse unit in your picture? I love mine. I have my BT mic up front and my iPod inside my center console. I have had several people ask me if it was stock. :)

Though I do understand you have the 2010 model and Toyota changed the black finish on those models...no match with the piano black kits on the market.
Yep mine was great too, and that's old technology. The newer Eclipse units are even better.

Yes, I've already been trying to deal with that. Bought a piano black HVAC control panel for $88 from a 2008 Limited, but that particular one was not up to my standards. So I'm waiting for LKQ to get another one in stock.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is a really hard decision.

I originally went to the dealer to buy a truck with navigation. After playing with it for a few minutes, I was disappointed in the functionality of the menus, ease of use, the fuzziness of the screen, and the outdated "large knobs" design of the face. That's before you even take into consideration the fact that it's DVD, not HDD based, which is SO 5 years ago. Don't forget the fact that you sacrifice 5V preouts and sound quality if you're looking to do a system. All of these factors were enough to make me pass on the NAV package and buy another truck. :eek:

BUT...even with all of that said, I'm just not sure I like the look of the one-size-fits-all aftermarket NAV in the top center of the dash anymore. It just looks so...tacked on. I like the clean OEM look.

But am I willing to sacrifice the value and functionality of the aftemarket units just to get a certain look, that I'm not 100% sure I like? :confused: Can I imagine sending a signal to my Focals (saved from my last truck) from the stock unit?

I'm confused! Any other points I should consider? Price is not much different either way, so no worries there.

Having done the Toyota navigation install on my non-JBL truck I can say you will be ahead of the game having a JBL head unit already in your rig. I would make sure that your JBL amp will support the voice guidance feature of the new head unit, also, if you're installing a pre-2010 head unit I don't think your USB connection will work but the AUX input should.

If I had to do it all over again I'd go aftermarket and use the Toyota nav unit for a door stop, maybe a small boat anchor, in my opinion it's NOT worth the money in terms of cost vs benefit. The aftermarket units have much better features and functionality and I've seen one aftermarket unit install that looked great. Choice is yours....good luck! :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Third, for what it is worth, I started to retrofit my nav unit to perform some advanced functions (many video screens, multiple camera inputs, etc). I found it easier to go afternmarket in the end. If you are looking for basic functions, I'd stick with the stock unit and install a Lockpick 2AV with it. If you see fancy application down the road, go aftermarket. I went with the Pioneer Z110 and it looks decent with the metra piano kit. It is not perfect and has a small paint run in the finish but barely noticable. I don't think the pioneer looks like an afterthought (even though it obviously is), but that is just me. I'm happy with the aftermarket's additional functionality and video outputs.

If you decide to go the factory nav route, I have the head unit, GPS unit, amp, speakers, and sub all for sale. Just haven't had a chance to post it up.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
There is a 3rd option:

I found this on ebay about a month ago & asked the guy a bunch of questions about it. It's obviously a slightly different texture/finish than what we have in the truck, but the fit looks good.

I've had experience in this "brand" of electronics before. It runs Windows CE 5 or 6 and they add software on-top for Radio, nav, SD-Card, USB...etc. The SQ is "ok" enough. I have used IGO maps before and I am a fan of their programming.

When asked, the seller said that this unit is a direct plug-and-play for our Tundra's (non-JBL) and will also accept Steering-Wheel controls, though he said they may be "limited." The ipod hookup is very basic - just like plugging it in as a 3.5mm aux input; but you can select next, previous from the screen...that's about it, and it won't have any text on the screen (from what he said).

It has BT built in-with a mic in the front of the unit. The SD interface is pretty common to these entry-level units (think Power Acoustik, Pyle, etc) but it works.

The price ($700) is about what I spent for my OEM upgrade (not counting the ipod interface)... so I may buy one to give it a try eventually.

08-10 Toyota Sequoia GPS DVD LCD NAVIGATION RADIO 2010 - eBay (item 280538787905 end time Jul-30-10 12:32:40 PDT)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have looked into an after market nav unit for my truck for awhile now and your info concerning the Metra/Scosche kits and Pioneer reviews has sold me. A dumb question to ask is: where did you put the GPS antenna at when you added this unit to your truck? I have the regular non-JBL radio in my truck. Also, did the units come with all the wiring that you needed to use all options minus the microphone? Thanks.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Do you mean for adding OEM Nav or Aftermarket?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Popo, adding an aftermarket one. Thanks.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
The aftermarket units will come with their own wiring, but you'll need a "connector-harness" to plug into the truck's wiring harnesses. Typically, when you buy a Metra or Scosche dash-kit, it'll come with the harnesses you'll need, then just follow the directions. You can leave the GPS antenna right under the dash where the clock-readout is (there's that thin panel there)... that's where mine is now and the receptions is just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks bro, I appreciate the input!

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very cool! Saw something similar in Crutchfield but it was only for vehicles that did not have NAV as a factory option at all.

Just wish there were some more chrome accents in the interior! Maybe the Platinum vents, but not sure if they are available separately...
There is a 3rd option:

I found this on ebay about a month ago & asked the guy a bunch of questions about it. It's obviously a slightly different texture/finish than what we have in the truck, but the fit looks good.

I've had experience in this "brand" of electronics before. It runs Windows CE 5 or 6 and they add software on-top for Radio, nav, SD-Card, USB...etc. The SQ is "ok" enough. I have used IGO maps before and I am a fan of their programming.

When asked, the seller said that this unit is a direct plug-and-play for our Tundra's (non-JBL) and will also accept Steering-Wheel controls, though he said they may be "limited." The ipod hookup is very basic - just like plugging it in as a 3.5mm aux input; but you can select next, previous from the screen...that's about it, and it won't have any text on the screen (from what he said).

It has BT built in-with a mic in the front of the unit. The SD interface is pretty common to these entry-level units (think Power Acoustik, Pyle, etc) but it works.

The price ($700) is about what I spent for my OEM upgrade (not counting the ipod interface)... so I may buy one to give it a try eventually.

08-10 Toyota Sequoia GPS DVD LCD NAVIGATION RADIO 2010 - eBay (item 280538787905 end time Jul-30-10 12:32:40 PDT)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts