Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've done the unthinkable...I messed up the driver's side painted running board. But don't worry, it was a noble cause. My son and I were out in the desert and trying to climb up a little rock ledge in order to summit a hill. Anyhow, my less than suitable tires lost grip and we slid sideways onto an old tree stump. Exaclty! The good thing is the low range is great for climbing hills and I should have locked the center diff before attempting (still may not have changed the outcome, but at least I would have tried everything).

Anyhow, my forgiving wife reminded me that it's her car and that I should either take my sedan next time or be more careful. AND she was glad I messed up just the running board and not something more significant.

So now the beautiful color matched (1E3-color code) OEM running board is toast and the mounts are bent. I've been searching the forums and the internet for a couple hours and can't find an exact replacement for my running board. Plenty of places will color match a different one, but I just want to replace the one side.

Can anyone help me find one before I have to grovel to the stealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just buy one from the wrecking yard. I've seen them for as low as $30, and you can have it painted to match. Look at car-parts.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I started contacting salvage yards and one of them told me to see their inventory at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market.

Thank goodness he did! It is a fantastic site that inventories salvage yard parts from different places across the country. I called around and found 5 or 6 running boards with the exact same paint code as mine. Frequently when I called them they would give me the VIN of the vehicle they had and I had to call a dealership and have them check the paint codes based on the VIN. Some were $300-$400 but I eventually found one for $90 (that includes shipping) that I didn't have to paint! The dealership wanted almost $1,000 for a new one.

I wanted to make sure I got this website out there because it's fantastic for finding used durable parts.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just buy one from the wrecking yard. I've seen them for as low as $30, and you can have it painted to match. Look at car-parts.com

See above quote...."Car-parts.com" :D

Glad you found one..I use that site all the time...very helpful!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amazing the benefit of reading the COMPLETE replies.

Thanks Big-O for the slice of humble pie. Unfortunately I need them all too often.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
No worries, I thought it was funny! I know you were in the moment. I agree it's a great site. Believe me, I've had my share of humble pie....not reading things completely...not that I was intending any pie. Also good to see a fellow Lehi resident!! See you around

1 - 7 of 7 Posts