Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with installing the OEM sonar system into a double cab SR5 Tundra 07 or newer? I'm willing to bet that the factory wiring for this is already in the truck (just like with the fog lamps), and that upgrading to the OEM sonar system is a matter of buying a few additional parts (sonar plugs for the front and rear bumper, display module for the dash and/or factory plug switch to turn it on or off). I'm considering an aftermarket Sonar system, but using the factory wiring (just like the fog lamps) is a big plus. Any direction would be helpful.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
been discussed many many many times before. do a search. it takes alot of stuff to make it work and i dont think anyone has actually made it work in the past 3 years....but lots of threads on it if u take the time to search.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was looking at this to. The price on each sensor is the only thing keeping me from doing it. $178 each

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see aftermarket backup sensor kits ranging in cost from about $28 to $130 for the whole system. The Pyle and the Hytec seem to be the identical unit. The only difference appears to be the $100. I see one called AutoSonar for $99 that seems to be a pretty good design in that it has a small display in which the entire display changes from green to yellow to red making it visible in the rear view mirror as well as looking out the rear window if I mounted it there. It also changes the frequency of its beeps. It also shows which sensor is activated, but that would be a little harder to read.

My thinking is to mount the display in the center at the bottom of the rear window since if I am backing up I am still going to be looking to the rear most of the time and expect that I would pay most attention to the beeps anyway. A side benefit is easier cabling. I read Toxarch's installation and review of a unit in 2007. Looks like there are several new products available.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
FWIW, and u can see the pics in my gallery, its not for everyone but i didnt want to drill into the bumper. im probally going to go ahead and do it sometime since ive decided to purchase the truck (started out as a lease but we decided we wanted to keep it for sure).

i got stick on, no drill, backup sensors. it was 4 sensors and the control module, EZ hookup- wires to backup lamps. has tiny speaker that mounts inside (mine is routed up through the hole in the bottom of the cab and its actually tucked inside the plastic b pillar trim). its plenty loud to hear, and i put a switch on it to override it when i am hitched to the boat etc. cost me about 40 bucks shipped. well worth it for me. but again, since they do stick on, its not for everyone but lots of people havent noticed they arent stock.

ill save u the time, heres an older pic of them...see they dont look too bad....i think the drilled ones would look better...but i'll do that one of these days im sure

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Personally, the stick-ons aren't for me, as I prefer a more factory look. I've been looking at some aftermarket units, but I'm having trouble finding one that will do four sensors in the rear bumper and also two or four sensor in the front bumper, all off the same brain unit with one display module. Most of the aftermarket units that I've seen for trucks in my web searching only come with four sensor for the rear bumper, and that's it. One website I found, SportsImportsltd.com sells some really nice units, but again, every truck unit they sell doesn't do front bumper sensors (something about the wires not being long enough and that they cannot be spliced or extended). I would like to go with a nice, factory looking display to go on top of the rear view mirror..I just want it to do front and back off of the same brain unit. I'll check out the Pyle and Hytec systems, as well as the AutoSonar website. Thanks again for the advice everyone...much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Backup cameras and forward cameras are cheap enough that I don't find the sonar to be attractive.
well im doing a backup camera in the next week or so, so im probally dong just as you say and taking the sensors off altogether

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. Personally, the stick-ons aren't for me, as I prefer a more factory look. I've been looking at some aftermarket units, but I'm having trouble finding one that will do four sensors in the rear bumper and also two or four sensor in the front bumper, all off the same brain unit with one display module. Most of the aftermarket units that I've seen for trucks in my web searching only come with four sensor for the rear bumper, and that's it. One website I found, SportsImportsltd.com sells some really nice units, but again, every truck unit they sell doesn't do front bumper sensors (something about the wires not being long enough and that they cannot be spliced or extended). I would like to go with a nice, factory looking display to go on top of the rear view mirror..I just want it to do front and back off of the same brain unit. I'll check out the Pyle and Hytec systems, as well as the AutoSonar website. Thanks again for the advice everyone...much appreciated.
Hytec has one with 4 sensors front and rear for $120. Here's a link.
Thing is their model looks identical to the Pyle that sells for around $25. Hytec has more configurations though. They're probably all made in the same place in China. I can see how these were probably a very popular dealer add on. Huge, gigantic markup with individual OEM sensor selling for $95 vs $5. The Autosonar control unit is waterproof. The others are not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am working on tackling this project with my truck right now. I had to order the 6 sensors, the main module, the wire harness for the rear and the two harness for the front. Also had the get the information display and the sonar button for the dash. I found the sensors for $22 each. All in all I have about $400 in the system. It looks like all the factory harness are in place for every thing else. Just plug and play. I'll let everyone know how it works out. I'm still waiting for a few pieces to come in the mail. Maybe next week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello first post here. Im also trying to get oem sonar to work. I bought the bumpers with fogs and sensors for 550. My truck is a 08 dc sr5 prewired. Does anyone know if i need to change the driver monitor? Mine looks like it has the sonar indicator. Or do i just get the sonar switch? Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts