Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
I see aftermarket backup sensor kits ranging in cost from about $28 to $130 for the whole system. The Pyle and the Hytec seem to be the identical unit. The only difference appears to be the $100. I see one called AutoSonar for $99 that seems to be a pretty good design in that it has a small display in which the entire display changes from green to yellow to red making it visible in the rear view mirror as well as looking out the rear window if I mounted it there. It also changes the frequency of its beeps. It also shows which sensor is activated, but that would be a little harder to read.

My thinking is to mount the display in the center at the bottom of the rear window since if I am backing up I am still going to be looking to the rear most of the time and expect that I would pay most attention to the beeps anyway. A side benefit is easier cabling. I read Toxarch's installation and review of a unit in 2007. Looks like there are several new products available.

Any recommendations?

· Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. Personally, the stick-ons aren't for me, as I prefer a more factory look. I've been looking at some aftermarket units, but I'm having trouble finding one that will do four sensors in the rear bumper and also two or four sensor in the front bumper, all off the same brain unit with one display module. Most of the aftermarket units that I've seen for trucks in my web searching only come with four sensor for the rear bumper, and that's it. One website I found, SportsImportsltd.com sells some really nice units, but again, every truck unit they sell doesn't do front bumper sensors (something about the wires not being long enough and that they cannot be spliced or extended). I would like to go with a nice, factory looking display to go on top of the rear view mirror..I just want it to do front and back off of the same brain unit. I'll check out the Pyle and Hytec systems, as well as the AutoSonar website. Thanks again for the advice everyone...much appreciated.
Hytec has one with 4 sensors front and rear for $120. Here's a link.
Thing is their model looks identical to the Pyle that sells for around $25. Hytec has more configurations though. They're probably all made in the same place in China. I can see how these were probably a very popular dealer add on. Huge, gigantic markup with individual OEM sensor selling for $95 vs $5. The Autosonar control unit is waterproof. The others are not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.