Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'll be in Peoria AZ for the next month and a half. I was wondering where to go to have some fun off road. I've never been to AZ before so I'm new to the whole area. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey guys I'll be in Peoria AZ for the next month and a half. I was wondering where to go to have some fun off road. I've never been to AZ before so I'm new to the whole area. Thanks
What's the off-road capability of your 2008 CrewMax? Also, what is your off-road experience, accidentally backing into the flower bed? Just kidding! :D

You couldn't pick a better state for off road fun! Since I know nothing about you and your vehicle, you can't go wrong with this trail -- Schnebly Hill Scenic Drive. Take I-17 North to Exit 320. Turn West to Schnebly Hill Road (Forest Road 153) and trek your way about 13 miles to Sedona. If it's your first time the scenery will take your breath away. Believe it or not, I did this with a Toyota Corolla before I got my Tundra! People up and down the trails thought I was crazy, but I did it without even bottoming the Corolla once. :first:

You should have no problem with your CrewMax. Then go here and take your pick of trails -- Arizona Off-Highway Drives | Arizona Off-Road Trails.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What's the off-road capability of your 2008 CrewMax? Also, what is your off-road experience, accidentally backing into the flower bed? Just kidding! :D

You couldn't pick a better state for off road fun! Since I know nothing about you and your vehicle, you can't go wrong with this trail -- Schnebly Hill Scenic Drive. Take I-17 North to Exit 320. Turn West to Schnebly Hill Road (Forest Road 153) and trek your way about 13 miles to Sedona. If it's your first time the scenery will take your breath away. Believe it or not, I did this with a Toyota Corolla before I got my Tundra! People up and down the trails thought I was crazy, but I did it without even bottoming the Corolla once. :first:

You should have no problem with your CrewMax. Then go here and take your pick of trails -- Arizona Off-Highway Drives | Arizona Off-Road Trails.
P.S. - And while you're in Sedona, pick up a map of the local trails. Sedona has some of the best and scenic trails around. That's how the Pink Jeep Tours make their fame and fortune! Some of the trails are not recommended unless you beef up your CrewMax.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Couldn't agree more for a first time AZ offroad drive. Its easy in a truck and the views are awesome. Just don't run over the snowbirds picking their way down the trail in a Buick. If you are looking for something closer to home, you can drive Four Peaks in the east valley. There are some great 4 x 4 trails North of Cave Creek (typically leading to turn of the century mines). A favorite of mine is the Coke Ovens near Florence, just take your time thru Box Canyon. If you have a good lift and serious suspension upgrade and feel like taking on something more technical, the back road to Crown King from Lake Pleasant is challenging and not that far from you. My Tundra is a 2wd, so it would never make it, but I've tackled it a couple of times in a Jeep, and you'll see a variety of jacked up trucks doing some damage (literally) on the trail. AZ Highways used to put out a great backroading book with tons of pics and advice of things to see along the trail. Happy trails

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
LOL - Man, I'm jealous! This is what our off-road trails look like in Detroit:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys. Popo2239 I know what your talking about. I play baseball and I was in Detroit for 3 months last year and 1 month in '08. So I have seen some of your "trails."

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you came to the Tucson area I would say try Redington Pass or the back side of Mount Lemmon. Both of those are great trails.

·
Registered
32 Posts
LMAO about the Detroit backroads. I grew up there and took my AZ native wife backs a few years ago for a funeral. We were passing these old brick factories by the freeway and my wife was fascinated with the "beatiful" brick buildings. After she convinced me to get off the road, we found ourselves driving thru a pretty bad neighborhood and my wife was commenting on the beautiful homes and its a shame they aren't kept up. We were lucky to get out and she wants to see more, I guess she needs to get out more often. Shes tired on stucco and tile.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Well, I tell ya what (^^^) I've done a decent bit of traveling around the country, and Downtown Detroit does have some of the most (potentially) beautiful homes & buildings. But of course, since the race riots of '67 & the urban decay... there's really nothing left but 'potential' --- All joking aside though, I grew up in Northern Michigan (well, Northern Lower Penninsula) ... and we've got some excellent off-road trails, bogs, dunes... all of it! Back then, my '86 Bronco was King-of-the-Trails. But, now that I'm down in the city, I don't really get a chance for that kind of fun. That's why I've got the street tires on instead of A/T's :(

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
From what I am hearing over on the expedition forum the road from Lake Pleasant to Crown king has been washed out and not passable. I like the run up towards Cave Creek over to Seven Springs up to Sheep Crossing IF the water is not flowing to much (can check the website for flows) drop south below Horse Shoe and cross over again making a loop. The other way takes you out to I-17.
Seeing how you are in Peoria but not sure if North or South end head up to Pleasant to Castle Hot Springs over to Morristown. Another west side journey is out Wickenburg way to Vulture Mine Road south to Indian School Rd go left to 339th ave and back to I-10, OR continue east on Indian School and it will get you over to Sun Valley Parkway go left and back around towards Peoria.

Couldn't agree more for a first time AZ offroad drive. Its easy in a truck and the views are awesome. Just don't run over the snowbirds picking their way down the trail in a Buick. If you are looking for something closer to home, you can drive Four Peaks in the east valley. There are some great 4 x 4 trails North of Cave Creek (typically leading to turn of the century mines). A favorite of mine is the Coke Ovens near Florence, just take your time thru Box Canyon. If you have a good lift and serious suspension upgrade and feel like taking on something more technical, the back road to Crown King from Lake Pleasant is challenging and not that far from you. My Tundra is a 2wd, so it would never make it, but I've tackled it a couple of times in a Jeep, and you'll see a variety of jacked up trucks doing some damage (literally) on the trail. AZ Highways used to put out a great backroading book with tons of pics and advice of things to see along the trail. Happy trails

·
Registered
9 Posts
FWIW Crown King was done in a stock Pathfinder over the weekend. Bypasses around wash outs. Snow within the last 24hrs could make it impassable now.

Crossing below Horseshoe for the next couple of months I would proceed with caution. With flow close to 400 cfm out of Horseshoe you should exercise extreme caution crossing. I would not attempt crossing at Sheeps Bridge for the next few months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts