Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm not at all happy with the way this thing performs in the mud. The biggest problem is the pos stock tires....o well.

My main concern is, what set up do you guys (and gals) use that performs the best in the mud? 4x4 with RSCA off? the same with the diff lock on? What works the best?

Our road is horrible and yesterday I had to get out. I left ol' reliable Dodge in the shop and took the new fancy smancy SUV. I got all kinds of sidways and the pedal went dead several time and it sounded like a pack of sledge hammers was lose under the floorboards. I'm assuming it was the SRCA trying to counter all the slippage. I was only trying to creap down the road at a very slow speed and stay straight...it didn't work at all.

What do you guys recommend using when there is no traction at all? I'm used to the left front and right rear tires on the truck pulling me through. :D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
4wd, center diff lock on, VSC off - mash it & have fun - it is a blast that way - trust me - it will get through.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try it that away next time it rains good. I managed to get some rock on my drive, but not enough. I just hate that the gas pedal goes dead. That is dumb.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Remember the old 4Runners and Land Cruisers that were so good off-road?

People tried to drive them like sedans and flipped them...their families sued Toyota because the company made multi-purpose vehicles without knowing that soccer moms would fling 'em around paved roads like sports cars. So instead of drivers smartening up and driving trucks like trucks, we have ended up with trucks that are more like station wagons with big wheels.

So Toyota set these rigs up with the assumption that they would be ON ROAD all the time. Every possible compromise has been made so that when the soccer moms fling 'em around paved roads like sports cars...they will behave like a sedan as much as possible.

Thing 1: get some real tires, but you already knew that.
Thing 2: On your muddy road, try 4wd hi/locked center. This should turn off the VSC and ABS. Without the electronic crap _you_ will be in control of the truck.
Thing 3: Remember what the system is trying to do...keep you from sliding sideways across a paved road. To that end, the computers will retard the timing and selectively apply the brakes to keep you from being in a position to be sliding sideways across a paved road.

From personal experience, this is a good thing to avoid :( and the technology is nice to have for the 90% of time we ARE on the road.

-G

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
X2!
Get rid of the crap stock tires. Just search the threads for what other folks are running and choose the best tire for what you intend to put them through.

I finally got fed up with my stock Dunflops after two winters on them and bought a set of Toyo Open Country A/T's to run in the winter months. Best money I've ever spent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts